Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AP basic (formerly prestige, wannabe SE)
These changes are horrible for me and for anyone that actually pays for their own flights (earning less than 50K status miles). How dare they basically change Elite to Prestige (with either lounge access or a few NA upgrades)? I would have almost been able to stomach this if they also announced that all Tango fares would earn status miles and they would have DEQM bonuses. Like that will ever happen. AC MRs are almost non-existant nowadays. I was going to go for 35000 miles in 2013 but why would I bother now? Hello UA. We friends now, k?

Where do I sign up for Aegean?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by BigDaddyTL
As an SE, as you said, this doesn't really impact you. For me, every single flight matters for status. I've already booked 2 flights on AC Metal in January that I could have just as easily used on another airline for status with *them*.

So they did *not* give enough advance notice. Period. I've basically been screwed out of >10k precious status miles towards another program of my choosing.
perhaps one of the few times you wish for a big winter storm that results in cancellation so you get a full refund.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by acysb87
Thoughts on what this might mean?

"Special Air Canada recognition for a friend or a family member"
DL allows the top level to gift the equivalent of E to a friend or family member. I doubt I will get there on AE or DL, but it would be a nice touch for those who qualify.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:55 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
The changes should not come as a surprise to anyone. There is no other airline in North America that gives their FFs the same benefits at 35,000 miles/year as AC did for so many years. This alignment was going to happen sooner or later.

I did 75K miles this year, but I will have a reduced travel pattern next year. So even though it will be difficult to make 50K and achieve *G, I accept the changes and appreciate the notice and the way in which everything has been communicated so far.

Aegean still remains an option for getting *G at 20,000 miles, but don't expect that to last long either.

TK and Asiana also offer *G status at competitive levels and they usually award status for 2 years.

Looking forward to more details in the weeks ahead.

Edited to add: TK's program seems to be especially inviting. For their elite status (*G equivalent) the initial qualification is the hardest at 40K within a year of the start of your membership. The status is good for 2 years. Then, for members residing outside of Turkey, you only need to get 37,500 with this 2-year period to requalify. And TK will let you buy up to 10,000 status to maintain your status. So basically after the initial qualification, you can fly 13,750 per year and spend 300EUR to buy the 10K top-up and continue to enjoy *G status. Not a bad deal.

Last edited by Far Siren; Dec 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
The 0 penalty request will almost always be no
I work for a *very* large company with a *very* large travel budget, so it's generally not a problem.

However, I happened to speak with someone senior at AC that I happen to know and I think she talked me off the ledge for a bit. Will need to think this through a bit more. I think someone wisely kicked off the thread suggesting waiting three days
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave0823
Does this mean there will be less gate lice when pre-boarding?

I wonder if there are also plans to introduce pre-boarding by status - that is to offer pre-boarding to J Class and SE's first, and then down the hierarchy list?
This would be a great improvement for Air Canada...and it would cost them nothing....let J and SE board, then the rest. Enforce it like UA does with their Global Services tier
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNYC
The changes should not come as a surprise to anyone. There is no other airline in North America that gives their FFs the same benefits at 35,000 miles/year as AC did for so many years. This alignment was going to happen sooner or later.

I did 75K miles this year, but I will have a reduced travel pattern next year. So even though it will be difficult to make 50K and achieve *G, I accept the changes and appreciate the notice and the way in which everything has been communicated so far.

Aegean still remains an option for getting *G at 20,000 miles, but don't expect that to last long either.

TK and Asiana also offer *G status at competitive levels and they usually award status for 2 years.

Looking forward to more details in the weeks ahead.
there was at least one AC person that always used to say how much better the AP/AC program was because of exactly THIS point. so now what would they say for someone?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by lcohen999
Why not sign up for a new program and credit your miles three.

Seems simple enough
Only if the other program is *A.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BigDaddyTL
I work for a *very* large company with a *very* large travel budget, so it's generally not a problem.

However, I happened to speak with someone senior at AC that I happen to know and I think she talked me off the ledge for a bit. Will need to think this through a bit more. I think someone wisely kicked off the thread suggesting waiting three days
not the same company that lets you spend 1400 bucks a night on hotels in germany?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: Accor, Diamond
150k & 200k thresholds are truly missing

What a pity there is no new 150k or 200k level. Some of the SEs here (<200k) would be less cocky because suddenly they would become second class FTs or how they see Es in their minds...

Last edited by mhodge; Dec 22, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM360, Aeroplan SE
byebye AC

...Switched to Delta in March after qualifying for E very quickly for 2012 and already hit Platinum with them vs. going for SE - now, i am EXTREMELY glad about that decision. AC/Aeroplan was slightly below "market" with their old P/E/SE program (shame on you for flying an E90 from LGA-YUL with 9 empty J seats and full in the back with cramped up E/SEs not willing to burn their ever-so-precious e-upgrades!) and is now way off the mark. Not only do I not have to worry about silly upgrade credits (if there is a Business Elite seat open on a transcon it's mine, which is the right "thanks" for loyalty at that level), but I get upgrades more frequently vs. waitlist on AC with the LMU nonsense as of late AND the qualification is now out of line on AC with only 25% status mile bonus for int'l biz class and 0% on tango...

To sum it up: Expect 0$ / 0 status miles from me in 2012, in fact - anyone in need of some e-upgrades, feel free to PM!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Just noticed that priority rewards are gone from the 35K and 50K qualification levels. Flying a family of three internationally, I often used them for the third ticket, as AC almost never opens up more than two Y seats for classic redemptions. This would have been the last drop in the bucket - except that it was already full.

Thanks for the memories, AC. It was good while it lasted.

PS: my AeroplanPlus Amex comes up for renewal in January. Another one bites the dust.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:15 pm

I would have appreciated a little more heads-up!!

Already have a few flights in Jan/Feb that i would have booked differently.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, mostly
I'm a long time E flyer on Air Canada, going back and forth from Europe, and am one of the unlucky ones caught between 35000 and 50000 miles. I don't think that I'm going to hit 50000 next year on Star Alliance carriers and, so, will be losing the upgrades that made sticking with Aeroplan worthwhile.

Though I'm going to think about this for a few days, I think I'll be moving to another programme where I'll still be able to hit and maintain *G status (ease of check-in and lounge access are very important to me when travelling internationally).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
love these changes - I've been complaining for years that my flying above 35k (last four years - 74k, 102k, 58k, 85k) has been a waste of time, but now it will be rewarded - good move by AC.

I do truly feel there should be a difference between the 75k and the 35k flyer, and this accurately reflects that.... 35k has always been too low in my mind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.