Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by greenlotus
Hmmm...the writing was on the wall that the 35k E was too low. What's the point of a 35K *G when everyone else is at 50K. I knew this was not going to last forever! This will be very good for AC to trim the number of low level elites. Also all the SE's seem peach keen as it will equal less crowded lounges and they can still be king of the hill! I'm going to enjoy my sixth and final year of E and remember the good times!
First, it's not 50k for "everyone else", there is some program with *G at 20k, 25k or 40k...
Otherwise there won't be less people in MLL because 35k will always gives access to MLL !
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
We’ve been reviewing some of your feedback, and we’re glad to see that many of you understand the key rationale around the new program – to realign benefits to those members who are flying with us most frequently. Additionally, as part of this realignment, we’re looking to offer you more choice in the program going forward – a perfect example of which is the fact that we’ll introduce Star Alliance Lounge access as a 2013 Select Privilege for members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments.

Two other things worth mentioning:

Our FAQs on aircanada.com provide a significant amount of detail on many of the questions and concerns that have been raised here, including how this impacts the Million Mile program, and how Early Status Recognition will be handled for members qualifying for the first time over the course of 2012.

There has been some confusion regarding the Priority Rewards benefit. Note that members earning 35,000 / 50,000 / 75,000 Status Miles or 35 / 50 / 75 Status Flight Segments will enjoy a similar Priority Rewards benefit to 2012 Elite members (ie, double the Classic Aeroplan Miles for Economy seats, up to aircraft capacity). Similarly, there will be no changes to the Priority Rewards program for members earning 100,000 Status Miles or 95 Status Flight Segments.
Just seems like make work project for AC staff. They took away a little from 35K, gave little that is really new to 50K (actually reduced possible eUpgrade from the current 45 for E to 40; threw in 5 eUpgrades for 75K. Pity the flight attendant running down the J cabin taking meal order for 5 TT classes. AC could have achieved its stated objectives by moving qualification for P to 30K and E to 50K and enhancing each a little.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:14 pm
Suspended

It's disappointing, again, to see the program devalued. Several times in one year is a lot to take.

On the other hand, the breakdown into more tiers and at the levels they are at, makes a lot more sense to me. Given the number of people in the lounges, and the difficulty that Es are having getting upgrades, it also would seem to make logical sense to do what has been done.

What I like the most about it, and makes it much, much more tolerable to me, is the long advance notice we're given. It means that we are not buying blindly into a product and finding out afterwards what we got. People can now plan accordingly and those who don't find value in the new system can easily move their business elsewhere.

So for that I really applaud the move. That and the multi-tier approach, just sad to see benefits reduced yet again.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:25 pm

This seems like a reasonable change to delineate the various levels of spenders. However, if rewarding spending is the goal, there needs to be a change to give a Latitude COS bonus as otherwise the talk about aligning benefits with spending is just talk as frequent Latitude buyers are probably the most profitable segment of customers AC has.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by superabe

I hope priority seating stays. That will keep me with Air Canada for sure just so I can pick the bulkhead seats.

Overall I think it's a fair move.
My recent looks at seating make me worry about this too. This has been a big benefit for me.

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
In essence 35K and below hasnt changed much. The only thing is:

*S instead *G
*S check in baggage levels with other *A carriers
Have to buy high fares to upgrade internationally with eupgrades
Lose priority when travelling other *A carriers due to *S status

You still have
3 bag check in
MLL access
Option of getting the complimentary *A lounge access
Priority boarding/checkin/numbers etc
Dan Orlovsky is almost identical to Aaron Rogers except that he doesn't throw the ball as well or make as good decisions. If you can get past that, they're basically the same quarterback. Similarly the Colts are just about as good as the Packers if you take those extra 13 losses out of the equation and spot them as many wins.

So yeah, *S status is just about the same as *G status once you subtract the differences.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC*E35
Originally Posted by anotheran2
the change makes sense. there was just too many AC ppl with Gold status. Most of plane is half boarded on Thursday evenings after letting Gold members pre-board.

I'm disappointed by the lack of addition benefits. Most of the other airlines like Delta, US Airways, United offer complimentary upgrades for their 100K flyers, yet AC hasn't added that.

I'll hit SE this year but i'm not sure i'll bother in 2012.
Very elitist attitude displayed by those who fly more.

I just qualified at around 40k, and I have about 30-35k flying next year, much of it in Canada. Sadly for Air Canada, now that there is no way I will make the Elite equivalent, they just forefited hundreds (thousands) of dollars in revenue.

(Let's see, $130 Tango+ Premium x 7 round trips = $910)

Doesn't seeem like the best move to tick off their moderately best customers to satisfy their very best customers, who were going to stay regardless.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:47 pm

AC has enjoyed one of (of not the) highest RASM of all airlines in North America. Will be interesting to see if more and more of these <50K elites begin choosing T instead of T+ thus eating into some of those healthy rev numbers . . . Though, the extra $$ from LMU might make up for some of that revenue leakage.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by highlander88

I just qualified at around 40k, and I have about 30-35k flying next year, much of it in Canada. Sadly for Air Canada, now that there is no way I will make the Elite equivalent, they just forefited hundreds (thousands) of dollars in revenue.

(Let's see, $130 Tango+ Premium x 7 round trips = $910)

Doesn't seeem like the best move to tick off their moderately best customers to satisfy their very best customers, who were going to stay regardless.
I am SE, and demoted myself to E through flying this year because I saw the program getting devalued. Next year will be my last as an E because I won't make 50,000 miles (I did 60,000 this year). So the program has brought me down to no-status and I'm already planning my parachute, thankfully the Centurion card is a great parachute.

That said, your argument is not very strong if you are saying that $910 of revenue loss is something they should consider in terms of offering you a better elite package. It probably doesn't cover the cost of the elite package.

Like it or not, they probably crunched the numbers and just decided that it's worth it. Leaving that $910 on the table for you and deleting your international upgrades (two of which from T+) compared to a revenue ticket or even an LMU on the same seat is a good tradeoff for them.

So I am with you in terms of disappointment and my flight plan is made based on my disappointment (all my flights for the next year are already booked), but people like you with their $910 of revenue is probably the *reason* that they are doing this rather than a stunning oversight that will cause them pain.

Ideally they don't want you on the FF program at all. They want you buying those T flights that you are now going to buy. They will go ahead and price compete vs. Westjet and Porter on the bottom dollar seats and give you no reward benefits for being a price shopper. That is, they are going to do a head to head product+cost matchup with the competition and think they can win your business regardless of status benefits. They think you will fly with whomever gives you the lowest price without the product sucking hard and they are ready to pitch to you based on that. They are probably right. They will lose some of your flights to Westjet or Porter but they will retain a lot too based on schedule, product and price.

Again, sucks to be us, but it is really hard to argue with the cold logic. Time will tell whether this bites them in the butt to convert a bunch of Es staying in for status into price shoppers, but they seem to be trusting their projections and if $910 in revenue represents the average E, then I would have to side with them.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:51 pm

The other thing that is so unfair AIR CANADA TOP TIER

Is that within Canada, lowest fares earn no status miles.

When you compare that to UA, US or CO, the American competitors who you compare your program so much to and exclaim how much greater you are than, you need to keep in mind that it is much harder to earn Status Miles in Canada than in America.

It's therefore a falicious comparison, like apples to pears. Similar, but totally different.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond

So what program are you going to join? Air Miles and fly Werstjet across Canada? Are you going to connect through EWR and fly CO or Atlanta and MSP and fly Delta? You're flying much of it in Canada so it only makes sense that you will be on AC for a lot of those 35k miles..(if you're going to Werstjet then I think you have not thought this through). If you join another *A program but fly a lot on AC, you won't even get to use the privileges that you would get on AE....
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lllahim
Just seems like make work project for AC staff. They took away a little from 35K, gave little that is really new to 50K (actually reduced possible eUpgrade from the current 45 for E to 40; threw in 5 eUpgrades for 75K. Pity the flight attendant running down the J cabin taking meal order for 5 TT classes. AC could have achieved its stated objectives by moving qualification for P to 30K and E to 50K and enhancing each a little.
Fully agree.
Whatever happened to keep it simple stupid . . .
It's ridiculous to have more than 4 tiers plus the mindset of most 35Ks will be "sure, I'm elite, but I'm now competing with two higher levels" (even though the overall numbers have not changed). Perception
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:53 pm

Another thing I would point out, is this board is skewed to extreme frequent flyers, who provide a lot of business, but again their numbers as I'm sure you know are smaller than the mid level group of people.

It amazes me how you take away international eupgrades, when there really isn't a significant cost associated with that- those seats will be empty anyways.

But as I said, I think the silent majority will be quite unhappy with this and will end up spending less money on the airline as a result. I'm just glad I didn't book my YVR-YYZ in Feb yet, I'll save myself 130 bucks, plus more if there's a fare sale.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:02 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium

It amazes me how you take away international eupgrades, when there really isn't a significant cost associated with that- those seats will be empty anyways.
I agree! especially when AC controls R space tightly and sells LMU ahead of upgrades. The marginal cost of upgrading would be cost of extra food and beverage loaded, and perhaps some maintenance and cleaning cost for the seats.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
When you compare that to UA, US or CO, the American competitors who you compare your program so much to and exclaim how much greater you are than, you need to keep in mind that it is much harder to earn Status Miles in Canada than in America.
Please everyone stop comparing Canada with the US... different countries, different airline industries, different market size/competition. You don't want AC to take cues from UA/CO or US... you'll end up with plastic cups in "F", overcrowded lounges with terrible "snacks", dirty old planes and having to pay for domestic lounge access (can you imagine not getting lounge access when you pay for an F ticket?). Think of all the people who regularly commute to YMM... making Tango 100% accrual will open the floodgates for those people to take away your NA upgrades and make the YYC MLL even more crowded than it already is.

We all want AC to make their programme the best it can be, but Canada isn't the US and AC's programme needs to be different from those of their American counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.