Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:39 pm

hate to say, no one size fits all program.... but it does "separate the boys from the men and the girls from the women".....
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Perfect, just in time for my new role starting Jan 1 that will take my miles from 120K/year to ~40K/year...

Although at the same time, wish they had this those years when I was averaging 75K-80K miles and got no more recognition than E
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AP basic (formerly prestige, wannabe SE)
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
In essence 35K and below hasnt changed much. The only thing is:

*S instead *G
*S check in baggage levels with other *A carriers
Have to buy high fares to upgrade internationally with eupgrades
Lose priority when travelling other *A carriers due to *S status

You still have
3 bag check in
MLL access
Option of getting the complimentary *A lounge access
Priority boarding/checkin/numbers etc
It "hasn't changed much" except that now it's the same as Prestige (that's Latin for "useless") coupled with a good credit card! Unbelievable!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC 100K; SPG Plat (CEM); Hertz President's Circle
Well, hopefully this will eliminate the clusterf**k of people scrambling to pre-board domestic AC flights - my biggest pet peeve as a SE flying J.

Even though I'm SE (who may not make it for 2013), my partner has earned E through self-funded leisure flights for the last several years (never over 50K). I can say that our behaviour won't change because of this announcement. But I can see how for most 35K Es there really is little incentive to be loyal to AC. You can get better priority security clearance with Nexus and can just buy MLL access with AMEX.

One question I have is what will happen to 35K's access to seat selection when buying AC flights? Hopefully, that won't disappear (didn't see this when I scanned through AC's site).

Last thing I want to stress is that AC should now only refer to 50Ks as Elite, as that title should align with Star Alliance Gold status. They'll probably be concerned with perception, but 35Ks are not stupid, just call it what it is. I'm still chasing MM status and would hate to get there just to receive lifetime Star Alliance Silver.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC SE, PC-Platinum Royal Ambassador, DL-Silver, HH-Gold, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
In essence 35K and below hasnt changed much. The only thing is:

*S instead *G
*S check in baggage levels with other *A carriers
Have to buy high fares to upgrade internationally with eupgrades
Lose priority when travelling other *A carriers due to *S status

You still have
3 bag check in
MLL access
Option of getting the complimentary *A lounge access
Priority boarding/checkin/numbers etc
You only have 3 bag check for free with AC if you take any other *A like UA/US you have to pay for every bag....
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Lots of interesting discussion. I can see why the 35k elites are annoyed. But I also think everyone saw this coming.

Keeping a 35k level with MLL access is probably more than most expected. Everyone is saying there is too many levels but I think the 35k E- is a good compromise.

I understand that it is mostly down for many, but also realize it could have been much worse. They've also answered the why fly more after 35k which is positive. Did anyone expect it would be an improvement for all?

Assuming I get over my current dispute with AC I may stick around and go for 100k. As my travel slows I may move to greener pastures.

Agree they need to fix the status miles on Tango. Lack of sales and discounts is making the price of T+ too rich and for high Canadian fares no status is slap in the face. For leisure I stopped flying to Canada unless I have to.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
We’ve been reviewing some of your feedback, and we’re glad to see that many of you understand the key rationale around the new program – to realign benefits to those members who are flying with us most frequently. Additionally, as part of this realignment, we’re looking to offer you more choice in the program going forward – a perfect example of which is the fact that we’ll introduce Star Alliance Lounge access as a 2013 Select Privilege for members earning 35,000 Status Miles or 35 Status Flight Segments.
If only we had someway to visualize how much profit the last set of changes to the top tier program made Air Canada... man those 35K flyers must cost AC a lot!

Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mrpickle
50K-99K Elites will apparently be happier (based on the reactions in this forum) despite the fact that AC is not giving them anything more than before except telling them they're more important than <50K Elites.
As I said above, what AC is also giving them is a higher probability of upgrades on TATL an TPAC flights - The <50Ks can't upgrade T+, the >50Ks can.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Would just purchasing the Maple Leaf Card get you in those lounges or is it just for AC operated lounges?
ML Club membership will get you into an AC-contract lounge but not for partners. You can ask but officially you don't have access rights for lounges other than the ones listed on the AC website.
Originally Posted by yvr76
This system is not competitive. Tango should be at least 75% (if not 100%) and differentiated by no-upgrade potential. Latitude should offer some COS (AC has actually hinted at this on their top tier Twitter), and I don't see why Exec International does not give 150% when domestic does. The cost multiplier is actually higher for international than domestic in J.
How is it not competitive? Just because US airlines are doing something doesn't mean AC should follow suit. If you think by that logic they should be giving away domestic C as well. Most world airlines don't give 100% for all fares. I almost think the right way to go to "thin out the herd" is to slash earning rates on international T+ fares while keeping them upgradeable and scrapping international Tango.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by eman384
You only have 3 bag check for free with AC if you take any other *A like UA/US you have to pay for every bag....
Ummm no, you get Star Alliance Silver baggage requirements (typically 1-2 bags for free).....

"*S check in baggage levels with other *A carriers"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
So other than making the SE's happy...

...this is a big F....U to the domestic flyers.
So Westjet here I come, I will get an Amex Plat to get all the same bennies that AC will offer me in 2013.
Hopefully others will be as fully committed, because honestly there's allot more E's than SE's and if some of the folks are actually as serious as I am maybe they will realize as the economy tightens up in this country that most folks will be flying less not more.
So all the self satisfied SE's who are thrilled at the lessening of wait times at the gate...guess what...when our numbers decline...you will be next.
So happy trails for one or two years...be ready for the clawback when E's realize the shaft they've been given the last 2 years.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...this is a big F....U to the domestic flyers.
So Westjet here I come, I will get an Amex Plat to get all the same bennies that AC will offer me in 2013.
Hopefully others will be as fully committed, because honestly there's allot more E's than SE's and if some of the folks are actually as serious as I am maybe they will realize as the economy tightens up in this country that most folks will be flying less not more.
So all the self satisfied SE's who are thrilled at the lessening of wait times at the gate...guess what...when our numbers decline...you will be next.
So happy trails for one or two years...be ready for the clawback when E's realize the shaft they've been given the last 2 years.
LOL, according to this http://www.680news.com/news/national...lutions-survey over 50% of Canadians are quick to break resolutions.......

Also load factor and SE demands dont mix LOL
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Hmmm...the writing was on the wall that the 35k E was too low. What's the point of a 35K *G when everyone else is at 50K. I knew this was not going to last forever! This will be very good for AC to trim the number of low level elites. Also all the SE's seem peach keen as it will equal less crowded lounges and they can still be king of the hill! I'm going to enjoy my sixth and final year of E and remember the good times!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
ML Club membership will get you into an AC-contract lounge but not for partners. You can ask but officially you don't have access rights for lounges other than the ones listed on the AC website.

Depends which level of ML Club membership you buy. Some do allow access to all *A lounges

http://www.airclublounge.com/AIMSClu...stomerNWW.aspx

Then again, 35K still gets you the *A Lounge membership
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
* No comment*.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.