Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: JGC
I guess I will move back to UAMP for the next year (or maybe OZ) on.
I switched to AC/AE this year for *G. I usually fly around 25K TPAC and to the US. l had been a long time 2P at UAMP, occasional 1K/1P mostly thanks to UA DEQM promos. UA is more likely to offer that sort of promos than AC and "IF" I ever hit 50K EQM again, it would be with UA (or other NA carriers). Recent change for earning rate for NH also pushes me to UA as my trips are mostly to Asia. I guess I can purchase lounge access/priority check-in cheaper at UA as well when I need it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:09 pm

who's going to Shepherd the 35K herd
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by anotheran2
I'm disappointed by the lack of addition benefits. Most of the other airlines like Delta, US Airways, United offer complimentary upgrades for their 100K flyers, yet AC hasn't added that.
All I have to say is that I'm very grateful that AC is deciding not to devalue the J cabin by giving away UDU. A few months ago I flew in "F" on a 2.5 hour flight on UAX. Drinks were free. For a meal I received a bag of pretzels; not even a snack box (not that a snack box is something great to get in F anyways). Even my 1.5 hour YEG-YVR flight gets me a warm meal (even if it is small) on china, etc.

If you give something away for free for long enough, people won't pay for it. If people don't pay for it, why bother offerning it?

Originally Posted by tdott
That is not true, you can't compare top tier Announcements to eUpgrade announcements from last year, which I assume you are referring to.

In the past they always announced the requirements for top tier in December, but they never changed as much as they have this year.
I think you're missing my point. AC only released the details of its 2012 top tier program last week. If you don't like the 2012 program, there isn't much you can do at this point; you've already flown your flights.

If AC followed their previous method of operation, the 2013 benefits that people are bit**ing about in December of 2011 would not have been released until December 2012. By December 2012 people would have already flown almost all of their flights for 2012.

Previously people assumed that status perks would remain relatively unchanged from one year to the next (which often wasn't true) and would have based their travel pattern for 2012 based on the 2012 program. Now people can base their 2012 travel based on the 2013 program and not feel like there was a bait and switch when changes were eventually released. IMHO this was the type of thing AC should have been doing for years and was necessitated this year due to the large number of changes for the 2013 program.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Just noticed that priority rewards are gone from the 35K and 50K qualification levels.
They are still there on the website.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: FT
just my 2 cents but lounge access has rarely been much of a benefit IMO when it comes to status with AC...in fact, on most FF programs. it is the other benefits that were worth well more but now are worth less. probably why they still kept it at 35K.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
So this is pretty clear to me who wins and who doesn't

0-25k no change
25-35k no change
35-50k devaluation, sucks
50-75k status quo, maybe some extra goodies when you hit 50k, neutral
75-100k get ahead of elites < 75k for upgrades, a good thing
100k+ no change.

Seems quite reasonable from a business standpoint.

Last edited by shuuy; Dec 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
This is a great point that I hope they clarify.
Read the FAQ on their webiste@:-)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC
I wonder how the early recognition will work in a five-tiered system. Imagine all the cumulative eupgrades one would collect in his ascent from P to SE.

Overall, I like the new approach. The carrots are much more uniformly spaced now
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER

Previously people assumed that status perks would remain relatively unchanged from one year to the next (which often wasn't true) and would have based their travel pattern for 2012 based on the 2012 program. Now people can base their 2012 travel based on the 2013 program and not feel like there was a bait and switch when changes were eventually released. IMHO this was the type of thing AC should have been doing for years and was necessitated this year due to the large number of changes for the 2013 program.
Reminds me of the Chris Rock skit. Should we really be grateful because they're NOT doing a bait and switch?

AC, always trying to get credit for stuff they're supposed to do...

Cheers
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Alt E50K, Marriott (Gold)
I can understand a company trying to increase profits as I certainly try to do that. I also appreciate notice about potential changes as soon as possible. However, I am someone who has already made a significant financial commitment to AC in 2012 and cannot retract it. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Everyone is thinking about themselves for the most part cause that is what we do. It is clear many SE's are pleased with the negative part of the announcement. No doubt there is a lot of unrest by the E's in the lower numbers and I can see why. They will be considered P's in 2013 - definitely a demotion.. The AP points have continued to decrease in value and now so are the benefits for E's. All the while AC remains one of the most expense tickets rates on the market.

As an E I would certainly prefer not to be devalued in order show those with 50 plus that they are important to AC. It seems fair that a plateau is set and those achieving it are recognized and those who surpass it acquire additional benefits.

And of course those P's out there that were thinking they were getting close - there is no santa claus

I think AC is putting this out there as a test run to see how much flack they get. I am familiar with this type of process cause I see it from the government quite often. But notice the language in the statement - they left the door open a crack. In strikes me that if they get little to no push back they will follow through. If there is a big stink you can be sure they have a fall back plan. They are shrewd dictators .... I mean negotiators

Because my norm is to fly around 40-45,000 using primarily NA routing I will have to seriously consider the significance of using other airlines in an effort to make an informed decision. Overall, I am not pleased with how this impacts many E's. I am made a hell and I am not going to take it any more ... hello ..... anyone there?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I can't believe that people are upset that AC announced this when they did. Good move IMHO.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
50-75k status quo, maybe some extra goodies when you hit 50k, neutral.
Actually considerably better than neutral - while the benefits may not change ("goodies" still TBD), you are now not competing with probably 10-15,000 (maybe more) former Elites who flew 35,000 - 49,999 miles for upgrades since your status is now higher than theirs (or they moved to another program).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Reminds me of the Chris Rock skit. Should we really be grateful because they're NOT doing a bait and switch?

AC, always trying to get credit for stuff they're supposed to do...

Cheers
They don't deserve praise for releasing the changes early, but neither do they deserve to be attacked for "not releasing it early enough". More than a year is advance is plenty of warning.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
So this is pretty clear to me who wins and who doesn't

0-25k no change
25-35k no change
35-50k devaluation, sucks
50-75k status quo, maybe some extra goodies when you hit 50k, neutral
75-100k get ahead of elites < 75k for upgrades, a good thing
100k+ no change.

Seems quite reasonable from a business standpoint.

I'd say 100k+ should read: "benefits through the beat down of other tiers"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by allstar_yvr
This has easily become one of the most convoluted FFPs in the world! A simple 3 tier structure at 25k, 50k, and 100k would have made much more sense IMO.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.