Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payam81
This won't really affect me as I'd still easily hit SE and does seem like it will thin out the low earning Es which I welcome, however I would have liked to see No booking/change fees for AP tix for SEs! This would have been the perfect time to introduce this...

Hey, we're allowed to (pipe) dream right?
Thoughts on what this might mean?

"Special Air Canada recognition for a friend or a family member"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Love the structure - although I think it may be one tier too much (35K?). Anyways, would have been much happier to see a level at 150K too. P, P+, E, E+, SE, SE+, per se.
I would be happy to see an SE+ level at 150K too, provided it has most, if not all the SE benefits 10 years ago.:-:
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
These are my thoughts exactly. I guess I'm back to shopping for flights by price now instead of where I can use my elite benefits. Farewell AC. I'll be seeing you only when your T fares dip below those on WS in 2013.
this is what i have done and as a result, i have only flown AC once this year to NYC only because my collegue was on the same plane.

in fact, i have managed to move at least $17K to CX this year when our preferred airline is AC just by extending my business trips so as to get cheaper fares on CX and then gladly taking a day or so extra at my own cost. or, in another case, agreeing to take an extra 10 hours to get to a location to save money. small drop in AC's bucket i am sure so they probably do not care...that would have at least given me well above E this year but i could care less.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I am surprised no SE's have asked

What is "Special Air Canada recognition for a friend or a family member" ?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
As a SE a quick read seems to show we will not suffer any from this" and there may be some added benefits announced down the road. One i would like to see is to adress the bonus Aeroplan miles in this year's SE bundle 2 which were not status. As someone else suggested, If they can't offer status miles, replace it with something more meaningful - i.e. a 20% discount code valid for the year. That would be useful.

I cannot believe those complaining that there was no advance notice here. This is clearly an example of AC listening to prior complaints on this point. Well done.

Those at 35,000 level had to know that elite / star alliance gold deal could not last forever, and i think AC tried to cushion it.

I do hope the 35,000 level pick benefits so there are fewer who get on the plane early. That benefit has become a joke.

As a MM flyer i think AC has been pretty clear i will keep on a lifetime basis the elite benefits they promised (and that used to be associated to the 35,000 level)and these will now be associated with the 50,000 level and not devalued to what is now offered at the 35,000 level. I was pleasantly surprised by this -- actually very surprised.

This announcement has been well thouight out and presented. taken together with what looks like copying the SPG Lurker approach to using FT, AC seems to have adopted an improved overall stratedgy to better customer relations. Good for them and for us.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AC-E and a few hotels
Okay I am really unimpressed but not really surprised.

I know I will hit 35k but 50k is going to be a stretch unless I can persuade my boss to fly me J more often!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by ramsfan
This announcement has been well thouight out and presented. taken together with what looks like copying the SPG Lurker approach to using FT, AC seems to have adopted an improved overall stratedgy to better customer relations. Good for them and for us.
personally, too little to late.

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Thanks Air Canada / Aeroplan!

You made my life easier with these changes. Now I know I shall be moving all my business to United out of SYR instead.

No point as a lowly Elite even bothering with AC anymore.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am surprised no SE's have asked

What is "Special Air Canada recognition for a friend or a family member" ?
See post #76

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
This further confirms what I have been saying all along...that the Elite tier was designed for those who primarily travel within NAmerica (ergo at the 35K T+ upgrades only on NAmerican flights, Latitude on international) while the SE tier is for those traveling primarily internationally (and new higher tiers open up for T+ upgrades on international flights). The two intermediate tiers are hybrids of the two types of fliers. (Yes, there will be some exceptions to this broad profile but look at the nature of the benefits of each new tier.) As for an additional tier at 125K, it's not really practical or will be needed. A lot of those who might now have earned SE at 100K are not going to do it next year if they are limited to the lowest international fares, and thus start earning 50% SMs and will end up at either the 50K or 75K tier.

Loss of STARGold and international T+ upgrades are major negatives for the 35K tier elites, but they can opt for the lounge package and since they travel primarily within NAmerica (and Tango fares are replacing low T+ fares internationally) most were not going to use international upgrades. A likely blow for MRs, and definite move towards revenue-based tiers given widespread introduction of Tango fares internationally earning just 50% SMs.

Changes also go after those non-resident/primarily non-AC fliers who earned Elite for STARGold status and US lounge access. They may have been shooed away with the 10K AC metal requirement, though many could still meet that one. So Aegean will certainly now become the new STARGold default program for Americans wanting lounge access when flying their domestic UA/CO/US flights without buying a club membership each year!

Too early to say much more. Further reflection will be required.

BTW, email just arrived from AC with these details.
Agree with SH on this. AC new model reflect that fact the E are doing NA travel, SE being more internationnally oriented and E+ SE- in between. We can also guess they have the data to support this.

That added to the fact that AC value more and more the revenue generated by each ticket make the new changes logical and well balanced. I believe on the long run we could see 25-50-75-100 level, 5 is too much but at this moment just raising E at 50,000 and bring everyone under 49,999 and P level would have cause AC War 1. I guess AC will look at data closely over the next 24 months and then decide how things will go.

As a SE it's sure I can not complaint, very happy there is no change. Those mostly hit are E who barely make the 35k requirement each year. For those who are flying a bit more (35-45k) getting 50K is not totally impossible... One more nice weekend trip in Europe will do the job

Overall I am happy with the annoucement and more happy to see the way AC handled this...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: AC *E
Boy, am I glad to not have made any solid bookings for my travel for 2012. Having been a E for the past 3 yrs and seriously thinking about changing plans in the next year, AC now has made it easy for both my husband and I to not fly AC anymore. Degrading the E to a P simply cuts the deal. We both made MRs in the last couple of years to make sure we both qualify and now I guess it's whoever's cheapest and offers better service win our service. At least in our popular routes, CX and other Asian airlines have much better service than AC.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
See post #76
2 minutes too slow!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:50 am

The only thing that makes me uneasy is

"...exclusive access to additional seats in Executive Class and Executive First at ClassicFlight mileage levels..."

That pretty much finishes IKK unless they become transparent on what those additional seats are and how many.

Being an SE, obviously I am unaffected but would be upset at the 35K tier.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by ramsfan
I cannot believe those complaining that there was no advance notice here. This is clearly an example of AC listening to prior complaints on this point. Well done.
As an SE, as you said, this doesn't really impact you. For me, every single flight matters for status. I've already booked 2 flights on AC Metal in January that I could have just as easily used on another airline for status with *them*.

So they did *not* give enough advance notice. Period. I've basically been screwed out of >10k precious status miles towards another program of my choosing.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by BigDaddyTL
As an SE, as you said, this doesn't really impact you. For me, every single flight matters for status. I've already booked 2 flights on AC Metal in January that I could have just as easily used on another airline for status with *them*.

So they did *not* give enough advance notice. Period. I've basically been screwed out of >10k precious status miles towards another program of my choosing.
Why not sign up for a new program and credit your miles three.

Seems simple enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.