Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC, BA
This has easily become one of the most convoluted FFPs in the world! A simple 3 tier structure at 25k, 50k, and 100k would have made much more sense IMO.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
For quite a few years I was able to get lots of free stuff from AC, which was great. I directed some excess spend to AC as well, which was great for them.

I appreciate finding out about 2013 now, as it means my 2012 flying will be without regard to airline or alliance; only price, schedule, and service will play any role.

AC is a relatively decent airline and they will probably continue to be the choice I make for many flights.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigDaddyTL
As an SE, as you said, this doesn't really impact you. For me, every single flight matters for status. I've already booked 2 flights on AC Metal in January that I could have just as easily used on another airline for status with *them*.

So they did *not* give enough advance notice. Period. I've basically been screwed out of >10k precious status miles towards another program of my choosing.
Are you considering MM ?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Earned Elite for the first time this year and it will probably be the last time I get a chance to enjoy upgrading international flights. Typically fly 4-5 TATL a year for work and vacation (booked in Y) and had planned on buying T+ domestic fares to ensure I kept E. I dont mind losing *G lounge access, but the lack of international upgrades for 35k on T+ fares is really disheartening for a fan of AC. Really happy to see that AC is involved with the FT community again and gave everyone advanced notice but hope they reconsider the international upgrades at 35k.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, AC 'nobody anymore'.
I like it. 35K is too low for elite, there's far too many people with elite status.

Every flight I went on in November & December had 40+ people on the upgrade wait list! (I did 14 segments in that timeframe)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G
Bye bye Air Canada....

So now that Air Canada is going to downgrade the benefits to the 35k customers, I'm bailing and going with better providers, especially to Asia! I have a small business and pay for my own way, so if the 35k to 40k customers are losing star alliance gold and upgrade priviledges, that is of no value to me....

I don't even have time to use the goddamn lounges, so why bother losing star gold??? and I can't get upgrades on the international flights I use the most.... Nice job guys... Must've been months of consulting work at high billable rates to come up with a plan that simply encourages a large base to turn away!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
My quick analysis:
  • If you are P, yawn, no change
  • If you are SE, not much will change other than there will likely be fewer SE's in future as those who had to stretch to reach SE might be satisfied with the "75" benefits and not do the extra flights needed to reach SE.
  • If you are an E who typically flies 35-55K miles or segments you are not happy campers (those just over 50 will still stress about whether they hit next year)
  • If you are an E who regularly does 50K+, then you should be pleased with these changes, since the E herd will likely be thinned by at least 50%, which will increase your chances of being upgraded and you have the opportunity to shoot for the next level at 75.
  • If you are MM E, then you will be happier since you will be competing against fewer felow E's.
I expect the E herd to be culled in two ways - many will fall into the 35 category and another batch will switch to other programs that provide better benefits for their flying pattern - in many cases those will be non-Canadian residents.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
P last year and E this year.
I can say my inital thoughts are I don't think I will even try for any status this year, unless I see AC offer some way to get extra status miles and not just in the golden triangle. There should also be some increases to status miles baised on fare class.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AskTravis
love these changes - I've been complaining for years that my flying above 35k (last four years - 74k, 102k, 58k, 85k) has been a waste of time, but now it will be rewarded - good move by AC.

I do truly feel there should be a difference between the 75k and the 35k flyer, and this accurately reflects that.... 35k has always been too low in my mind
Agreed. Exactly my thoughts too. If, for some awful unthinkable reason, I was to loose SE status, I would be very happy to be able to aspire to 75K or 50K, and not be treated the same way as a bottom-feeder 35K E. (A little tongue-in-cheek).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well done AC. A good move.^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AC
wont be trying so hard to get status this coming year. Last year they said they had to pull back on benefits as there were too many E's. This year they devalue it again. For the 35 - 50's per year this is a massive downgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:48 pm

I'm pretty shocked by the changes. As an intl flier losting upgrades on TP fares is a fairly big kick in the teeth. I can't see it as anything other than a way for AC to lose customers as, like many others here, I will now think hard about who I fly with.

And as many have said, this is hardly 'notice' as we accumulate in 2012, and many people will have already booked flights expecting to target their normal levels.

If the idea was to thin out E crowds of people on domestic flights, then just do that. I have never seen these issues internationally.

Anyone got a good way to feed back this anger to AC?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Is the assumption that a future MM will be given 50K status - sitting at 850K now and would expect to reach 1MM in 18 months.

(don't know why they couldn't name each level).
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: MPC Green, AC Tangerine :)
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
I am a 40,000 miler, and most of those miles are earned flying internationally. People like me are those who lose the most. No more *G priority boarding, no more *G priority baggage, no more *G lounge access (unless you give up your firstborn, probably -that's what Air Canada typically means by a "select privilege"), no more upgrades. This, combined with the recent devaluations in redemption levels and scamcharges on redemptions most likely spells the end of my relationship with Air Canada/Aeroplan. A combination of crediting to Aegean and switching rewards credit cards looks increasingly like the way forward.

At least I appreciate the honesty - Air Canada is not even pretending it wants my business any more.
being an elite which barely scrapes by who qualified by flying mainly internationally, i can understand the reasoning behind it, it was possible to qualify for E with a spend of under 3k in 2011

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Interesting observation, so far majority of the people commented 'happy' with the program are SEs

The fun part will be the E reaction coming forward

Here is my question to this:

"Members who have earned Million Mile recognition will continue to enjoy benefits similar to those awarded upon their initial qualification: If your status is to never fall below Elite, in 2013 you will be entitled to the same recognition as those members who earn 50,000 Status Miles or 50 Status Flight Segments. Of course, you will still be entitled to qualify for a higher level of recognition based on your annual flight activities."

What if your a MM member and fell below Elite? Do you get the 35,000 mile level? The answer above only address "if you never fall below"

Any for yvr76...... the new 35K Elite = *S, *S will not permit you to other carrier's lounges.
i think it's a typo, if you EVER fall below, the paragraph makes more sense that way

reading some of the comments in the first couple of pages i'm surprised that most didn't read the FAQ, it's actually got most of the questions answered already

anyways, with a mini-rtw in F next year i'm out of vacation to qualify anything, i'll see if i have enough random trips to get *G on A3
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: 50K
^
Originally Posted by The Lev
My quick analysis:
  • If you are P, yawn, no change
  • If you are SE, not much will change other than there will likely be fewer SE's in future as those who had to stretch to reach SE might be satisfied with the "75" benefits and not do the extra flights needed to reach SE.
  • If you are an E who typically flies 35-55K miles or segments you are not happy campers (those just over 50 will still stress about whether they hit next year)
  • If you are an E who regularly does 50K+, then you should be pleased with these changes, since the E herd will likely be thinned by at least 50%, which will increase your chances of being upgraded and you have the opportunity to shoot for the next level at 75.
  • If you are MM E, then you will be happier since you will be competing against fewer felow E's.
I expect the E herd to be culled in two ways - many will fall into the 35 category and another batch will switch to other programs that provide better benefits for their flying pattern - in many cases those will be non-Canadian residents.

Good analysis... thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.