Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2013 Air Canada Top Tier Program

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ag2000
what do you mean? In 2011 star alliance miles qualified as status miles, I did not see any announcements about the change , AC site clearly says
Earn miles when you fly with other Star Alliance member airlines
You can do a search for the details...there's a thread somewhere on this forum about this. Basically, since AC markets/codeshares the flight (ACxxxx, not SQxxx), they have to assign a fare class to it using AC's own fare chart. However, since SQ operates the flight, whatever fare class SQ assigns becomes the gospel (superceding AC's previously assigned fare class). Unfortunately for us, in this case, SQ gives it a V fare, which isn't eligible for eqms according to SQ's fare chart.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
+1

I think the levels are reasonable and the changes make sense given the competitive nature of the business. It would be nice for ACTopTier to address whether there was any consideration of the CoS disparity.

I think there is at least one International ticket a year I may swing to C/Z or even J there was a higher bonus on both.

It would also help lessen the impact of the 35k changes if one could be encouraged to get higher fares for more Status Miles.

Overall I'm positive in the way Air Canada has handled this.

Originally Posted by yvr76

I think these changes are mostly positive, with the exception of how status miles are accrued. The current structure inherently makes status much harder to achieve than any of the U.S. carriers, especially if you consider that Canadian fares are more expensive to begin with. I would like to see something like this for status miles:

- Tango : 75% (currently only 50% for international)
- Tango+: 100%
- Latitude: 125% (currently no COS bonus)
- Discount J: 150% (international currently only 125%)
- Full-fare J : 175% (currently 150%)

This is much more competitive with United, with the exception of Tango (all their paid fares earn miles).

AC is still able to differentiate Tango as it is a non-upgradable fare class.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:40 pm

Bye AC, hope to see you again in a couple of years.

Even before these changes I thought I would have to make the move over to A3 next year since I have to mini-RTW trips planned, these changes cement a move. A3 is looking pretty useless to me though because the only revenue flight that I have booked so far next year doesn't give 100% miles. I might have to go back to get *S on UA again since they give miles for anything.

If the 2013 program is promising then I will try for early qualification in at the beginning of 2013 using e-upgrades from 2012. From YOW the alternatives to AC are inferior for most of my travel.

My departure has little to do with being upset by these changes, for the most part they look like they could be good for me in 2013 if I get to 50k then.

I am disappointed in the rationale that keeps being used to justify these changes though. The number of EQM earned on different fares should be revisited unless all they are interested in is reducing the number of status members to the bare minimum.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
You can do a search for the details...there's a thread somewhere on this forum about this. Basically, since AC markets/codeshares the flight (ACxxxx, not SQxxx), they have to assign a fare class to it using AC's own fare chart. However, since SQ operates the flight, whatever fare class SQ assigns becomes the gospel (superceding AC's previously assigned fare class). Unfortunately for us, in this case, SQ gives it a V fare, which isn't eligible for eqms according to SQ's fare chart.
I believe this is the thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...are-class.html
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Santander
Why should there be COS for Lat and Exec Flexible? If you're paying for that flexibility (except for maybe Lat FP) you aren't doing it for the COS miles if they did exist.
The program is geared to essentially reward you for spending $ on the airline. Flexible tickets at least twice the cost, so giving 25% COS bonus is not unreasonable.

United actually decouples reward miles and status miles, but they give 150% to all full-fare Y, and all discount economy get 100%.

Originally Posted by Santander
Domestic Tango: 50%
International Tango: shouldn't exist at all
T+, Lat: 100%
Exec Domestic: 150%
Exec International: 125%
This system is not competitive. Tango should be at least 75% (if not 100%) and differentiated by no-upgrade potential. Latitude should offer some COS (AC has actually hinted at this on their top tier Twitter), and I don't see why Exec International does not give 150% when domestic does. The cost multiplier is actually higher for international than domestic in J.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I would have preferred seeing only one new tier under 100k and another at 150k.

4 tiers to 100k is too granular.

AC needs to recognize that once someone reaches 100k and flies paid J/C/Z it makes more sense to funnel revenue to another program.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dorian

AC needs to recognize that once someone reaches 100k and flies paid J/C/Z it makes more sense to funnel revenue to another program.
Which is why cutting the 150,000 SE award from 25,000 to 15,000 Aeroplan miles is just silly. Allowing threshold e-credits to have a 12 month shelf life is a partial way to mitigate this. If it's Sep/Oct and you've hit 100k, you don't have any reason to keep flying AC if your threshold credits will expire before you can use them.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
just a basic enhancement

I don't understand why there is so much people happy with the changes.
- SE : this won't change ANYTHING. Same priority for UG, always the same number of people in MLL...
- 35 / 50 k : no Elite anymore. Big devaluation, not worth it anymore.
- 50k / 99K : yes, there is some improvement for these ranges, but only by limiting the access to benefits to people under them. Actually, there is nothing more for them . How could people be happy with this way to improve a program ? (You have as much as you had, but we've eliminate 50% of the group, so you have more).

Given the fact that the reward part of the program (AE ticket) sucks, since the devaluation and the YQ on close to every career, why somebody which travel less than 50k will stay with AE when he could have *G for less ?!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by yvr76
Which is why cutting the 150,000 SE award from 25,000 to 15,000 Aeroplan miles is just silly. Allowing threshold e-credits to have a 12 month shelf life is a partial way to mitigate this. If it's Sep/Oct and you've hit 100k, you don't have any reason to keep flying AC if your threshold credits will expire before you can use them.
I'm sitting on 171 eupgrades that I have no current plans to use. My next travel is in paid J to Africa in January.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, PC-Platinum Royal Ambassador, DL-Silver, HH-Gold, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
- SE : this won't change ANYTHING. Same priority for UG, always the same number of people in MLL...
- 50k / 99K : yes, there is some improvement for these ranges, but only by limiting the access to benefits to people under them. Actually, there is nothing more for them . How could people be happy with this way to improve a program ? (You have as much as you had, but we've eliminate 50% of the group, so you have more).

Given the fact that the reward part of the program (AE ticket) sucks, since the devaluation and the YQ on close to every career, why somebody which travel less than 50k will stay with AE when he could have *G for less ?!

I'm glad that the SE requirement didn't go more than 100k to 125K^
As a recent first time SE I know how hard it was to get to to it

But I do agree that SE need more benefits so that AC can make there statement "Enchantments" true
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Dorian

Someone who pays full J or even discounted C or Z gets their 100K by flying less than 75K and does it in comfort. Just think about those who have employers who won't spring for premium service who must actually fly 100K (if not more if Tangos are flown overseas) most of it in the back cabin. If they've done it that way they deserve the same perks as this who've been blessed with employers who fly them up front on maybe half the miles of actual flying!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:02 pm

This cements it for me. I'm down to P already for next year as I moved my flying around and did a couple less TATLs. I like Star G for priority access and lounge access mostly and as I mostly do transborder on UA it was a good benefit. The upgrades were nice when the London Pass was around and was well priced, but aerolotto does not interest me so I've been buying C/J. Looks like I'll be spending a few days poking around the UA/Aegean/OZ sites to figure things out.

Clearly, the program will continue to work well for many, but anyone who foresees doing 35-49900k q miles really has little incentive to make it work. AC has been moving for a while to trim their Elites so I expect they are going to have lots of success with this. They lost a lot of my business though, so I wonder how much they will lose with the improvements in the coming year.

Originally Posted by ag2000
what do you mean? In 2011 star alliance miles qualified as status miles, I did not see any announcements about the change , AC site clearly says
Earn miles when you fly with other Star Alliance member airlines

You can also earn Aeroplan Miles when you fly on eligible scheduled flights operated by Star Alliance member airlines:
Adria airways
Aegean Airlines
Air China
Air New Zealand
ANA
Asiana Airlines
Austrian
Blue 1
BMI
Brussels Airlines
Continental Airlines
Croatia Airlines
Egyptair
LOT Polish Airlines
Lufthansa
SAS Scandinavian Airlines
Shanghai Airlines
Singapore Airlines
South African Airways
Spanair
Swiss
TAM Airlines
TAP Portugal
Thai Airways
Turkish Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways
The Aeroplan Miles you earn on eligible Star Alliance member airlines flights will also count as Air Canada Status Miles qualifying you for Air Canada Top Tier status.

Overall, I am disappointed with the change, AC will see less business from me.
At the same time, I appreciate early notification.
You are talking about the general ability to earn Aeroplan/AC status miles from other *A airlines. However many of those airlines have certain booking classes that earns a fraction of the travelled mile or none at all (like SQ, LH)

Originally Posted by john_doe123123
You are talking about AC codeshared into SQ's metal..... Yes, AC Tango Plus codeshare is booked into one of SQ's G,V,Q,N 0 mileage booking class, hence no miles

Hope I cleared the air

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Someone who pays full J or even discounted C or Z gets their 100K by flying less than 75K and does it in comfort. Just think about those who have employers who won't spring for premium service who must actually fly 100K (if not more if Tangos are flown overseas) most of it in the back cabin. If they've done it that way they deserve the same perks as this who've been blessed with employers who fly them up front on maybe half the miles of actual flying!
I don't recall saying that the other tiers didn't deserve better benefits.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager

Well said, and my thoughts too. Perhaps those who are not affected are just happy to see something taken away from others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.