Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Commie
I am undecided on this....What does people think, would you take an economy flight if it means getting into a location 7 hours earlier, and save about $600 in surcharge?

I am trying to book a YYZ to DPS this christmas. I am able to find a Biz tickets with YYZ-MUC-IST-DPS, with Turkish Air, but that gets me into DPS at 7pm.
However, I can also go YYZ-Shanghai on Biz with Air Canada, then Shanghai to Singaore with Singapore Air, on Economy (5 hour flight), then Singapore to DPS on Singapore Air on Biz, which gets me to DPS at 11am, giving me almost a full day in DPS. Where as Turkish Air I am 'wasting' my first full day.

Also, the Shanghai to Singapore flight is at midnight.....a part of me just want to suck it up, and take the economy and sleep through the 5 hours.???
I would fly TK, and go to bed when I get there. Arriving at 11am probably means you wont last till evening anyway, and your timing will be off for days. Of course it depends on how many days total your vacation is. Missing a half day out of 10 is much easier to do then missing half out of 3.

But its a tough one. Saving $600 and getting in earlier, but then having to fly economy for 5 hours... I dunno.

Is there anything to get to IST in a different way, like via the US on TK, or LO/TP/LX? Do you have a date we can help you with?
Old May 12, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I would fly TK, and go to bed when I get there. Arriving at 11am probably means you wont last till evening anyway, and your timing will be off for days. Of course it depends on how many days total your vacation is. Missing a half day out of 10 is much easier to do then missing half out of 3.

But its a tough one. Saving $600 and getting in earlier, but then having to fly economy for 5 hours... I dunno.

Is there anything to get to IST in a different way, like via the US on TK, or LO/TP/LX? Do you have a date we can help you with?
i am looking at dec 27th. Yes I understand it’s one of the busy season.
i have a 5 night stay booked at the St. Regis Bali starting on dec 29th. Then 3 nights at the Aman in Java. Then I would fly to Singapore for a few days, then Singapore to TPe for a few days then return home.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Commie

i am looking at dec 27th. Yes I understand it’s one of the busy season.
i have a 5 night stay booked at the St. Regis Bali starting on dec 29th. Then 3 nights at the Aman in Java. Then I would fly to Singapore for a few days, then Singapore to TPe for a few days then return home.
YYZ-WAW on the 27th on LO (22:25) is available in business per united.com and flyasiana award searches, then there are quite a few options to get to IST before the 1:20am flight to DPS. I'd probably choose WAW-OTP-IST, because OTP-IST has flat beds. This should save about $400, and a better flying experience over the Atlantic in J than YYZ-MUC

And surprisingly, I've always found between Xmas and NYE to be great for biz awards - its actually very low season for OPM flyers, so there tend to be more business seats available.

Last edited by rankourabu; May 12, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Commie
Here are the taxes/YQ for your outbound: $184
Turkey International Airport Service Charge $7.60Poland Passenger Service Charge $0.30Poland Domestic&International Airport Tax $21.10Carrier Surcharge $101.10Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00Canada Harmonized Sales Tax $3.25Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91Indonesia Passenger Service Charge $21.10
Old May 13, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
How can one surmise that IST-DPS has direct flights? it's not showing up on FlightConnections and *A has taken down their route map.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm blind, I see it.

Last edited by Rykoshet; May 13, 2019 at 7:11 am
Old May 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Hi All,

I'm a little confused here and helping someone can help me out. Back in Aug, I did the following itinerary on an Aeroplan mRTW

YYZ-HND-SIN(Dest)-KUL-BKK-HKT-HKG(Stop)-VIE-PRG-IST(Stop)-ZRH-ORD-YYZ

I'm looking at doing another mRTW and am going through MPMs.

Have MPMs changed since I booked this about 14 months ago? The MPM now for SIN is 13,095. Somehow I manged to do this itinerary with the return leg from SIN back to YYZ coming in at 15,259. Well over 13,095.

So has MPM changed, or I have I forgotten how it's calculated?
Old May 14, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jfacowns
Hi All,

I'm a little confused here and helping someone can help me out. Back in Aug, I did the following itinerary on an Aeroplan mRTW

I'm looking at doing another mRTW and am going through MPMs.

Have MPMs changed since I booked this about 14 months ago? The MPM now for SIN is 13,095. Somehow I manged to do this itinerary with the return leg from SIN back to YYZ coming in at 15,259. Well over 13,095.

So has MPM changed, or I have I forgotten how it's calculated?
I don't think it's changed and that MPM looks accurate - you might've gotten extremely lucky to book it with an agent who overlooked the rule/wasn't aware? But that routing shouldn't be allowed by RTW rules.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Hi All,

Was there a schedule change where you had to rebook something? MPM will get overlooked if that’s the case.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:41 pm

Nope, no schedule changes. You may be right about an error on their end, but I remember reading that this literally was not possible as their systems would not allow them to book a ticket that exceeded the MPM.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:45 pm

Nope, no schedule changes. You may be right about an error on their end, but I remember reading that this literally was not possible as their systems would not allow them to book a ticket that exceeded the MPM.
Just did the MPM trick on aeroplan for YYZ-SIN and it's coming back with 15441. So it looks like the sources I got my numbers from were off.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just did the MPM trick on aeroplan for YYZ-SIN and it's coming back with 15441. So it looks like the sources I got my numbers from were off.
In this thread:

Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM)

It's listed as what you originally said, but looking at it myself right now, that information appears to be wrong indeed. You might want to cross-post this info there to update it
Old May 15, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Thoughts on yyz-yul-zrh-cph-ist-sez-add-sin-per-sin-icn-hnd-bkk-tpe-yyz ?

My trip went from visiting cities I've never been to and really wanted to see to just flying as much as possible. Seems kind of silly in a first world problem kind of way.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Thoughts on yyz-yul-zrh-cph-ist-sez-add-sin-per-sin-icn-hnd-bkk-tpe-yyz ?

My trip went from visiting cities I've never been to and really wanted to see to just flying as much as possible. Seems kind of silly in a first world problem kind of way.
Where are you stopping? You need that before anyone can answer your question.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:19 pm

Is this a valid international OJ?

BKK-YEG, YYC-YYZ (stop)-YUL (POT)-BKK
Old May 15, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seks
Is this a valid international OJ?

BKK-YEG, YYC-YYZ (stop)-YUL (POT)-BKK
You can only open-jaw at point of turnaround, unfortunately, and it will take away one of your stopovers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.