Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 6:30 pm

Hello everyone, first time looking into booking a mRTW trip and was hoping to see if this trip is valid.
YVR - SFO - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN - ICN - HND - YVR
Thanks in advance!
Old May 7, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Zhuran
Hello everyone, first time looking into booking a mRTW trip and was hoping to see if this trip is valid.
YVR - SFO - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN - ICN - HND - YVR
Thanks in advance!
SIN is the furthest from YVR, so that will be your destination. MPM for YVR-SIN is 13196

YVR-SFO-ZRH-CDG-IST-SIN is 13709, so unfortunately that's not a valid routing.

if you drop CDG (and arrange travel ZRH-CDG via train/plane separately) it's valid. Also if you find space on SFO-CDG on UA, though that might be harder to find (e.g. flying YVR-SFO-CDG-IST-SIN)

Alternatively, don't fly via SFO since that's a pretty big detour and it should be fine, e.g. flying YVR-YYZ-CDG-IST-SIN. Also YVR-YUL-ZRH-CDG-IST-SIN if you want to avoid AC on the TATL segment.

where are you planning to stopover?
Old May 7, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
if you drop CDG (and arrange travel ZRH-CDG via train/plane separately) it's valid. Also if you find space on SFO-CDG on UA, though that might be harder to find (e.g. flying YVR-SFO-CDG-IS—SIN
Surface sectors count towards MPM, and good luck getting an open jaw not at origin or destination.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:24 pm

SIN is the furthest from YVR, so that will be your destination. MPM for YVR-SIN is 13196

YVR-SFO-ZRH-CDG-IST-SIN is 13709, so unfortunately that's not a valid routing.

if you drop CDG (and arrange travel ZRH-CDG via train/plane separately) it's valid. Also if you find space on SFO-CDG on UA, though that might be harder to find (e.g. flying YVR-SFO-CDG-IST-SIN)

Alternatively, don't fly via SFO since that's a pretty big detour and it should be fine, e.g. flying YVR-YYZ-CDG-IST-SIN. Also YVR-YUL-ZRH-CDG-IST-SIN if you want to avoid AC on the TATL segment.

where are you planning to stopover?
Hmmm, thank you so much for your feedback!
I guess I could do YVR - YUL - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN - ICN - HND - YVR?
YVR - YUL - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN = 13,100 on Great Circle Mapper
We wanted to stop in CDG, SIN and ICN

Last edited by Zhuran; May 7, 2019 at 7:26 pm Reason: forgot a sentence
Old May 7, 2019, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

Surface sectors count towards MPM, and good luck getting an open jaw not at origin or destination.
huh? Where do I mention surface sectors or open jaws?

Hmmm, thank you so much for your feedback!
I guess I could do YVR - YUL - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN - ICN - HND - YVR?
YVR - YUL - ZRH - CDG - IST - SIN = 13,100 on Great Circle Mapper
We wanted to stop in CDG, SIN and ICN
Yes, that should work! You have a TON of flexibility intra-asia so that shouldn't be a problem at all finding availability. Outbound will be your critical spot, so just check what's available for your dates and try be flexible.

e.g. CDG-BKK-SIN is also still within MPM.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:40 pm

​​
I assumed that’s what you meant by arrange travel for ZRH-CDG separately.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

I assumed that’s what you meant by arrange travel for ZRH-CDG separately.
No, I meant... literally buying a 100USD RT ticket ZRH-CDG or taking a train
Old May 7, 2019, 9:57 pm

Yes, that should work! You have a TON of flexibility intra-asia so that shouldn't be a problem at all finding availability. Outbound will be your critical spot, so just check what's available for your dates and try be flexible.

e.g. CDG-BKK-SIN is also still within MPM.
Thank all! it seems like outbound is difficult finding YUL - ZUR in business.... is there any other alternatives to get to CDG?
Old May 7, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank all! it seems like outbound is difficult finding YUL - ZUR in business.... is there any other alternatives to get to CDG?
the only low-fee one would be YVR-EWR-CDG, otherwise

YVR-YYZ-CDG
YVR-YUL-CDG
YVR-FRA-CDG

though all will have higher fees than LX YUL-ZRH
Old May 7, 2019, 10:33 pm

the only low-fee one would be YVR-EWR-CDG, otherwise

YVR-YYZ-CDG
YVR-YUL-CDG
YVR-FRA-CDG

though all will have higher fees than LX YUL-ZRH
Hmmm, thank you! I will definitely look into more on the routes.
Just a really dumb question... if SIN is my furthest point, does that mean is HAS to be my destination where I would have to stopover?
Old May 7, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a really dumb question... if SIN is my furthest point, does that mean is HAS to be my destination where I would have to stopover?
Correct. It has to be at least 24 hours, I believe.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan
YUL-ZRH on LX is often the best J flight to Europe with low YQ so perhaps make sure you're checking via UA reward search or EF to confirm if there is availability. Alternatively you *could* do this trip in the opposite direction of course. In which case YVR-TPE on BR would be the logical first leg I would say - then you'd need to find a flight for the other end of your trip from Europe to NA. Again, LX from ZRH-YUL might be where you should look.

Good luck!
Old May 8, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
LO has about $100 of YQ and check TAP and SK as well. SK seems to have good availability out of ORD
Old May 8, 2019, 8:14 am

MPM is calculated based on the furthest stopover from your origin. So if SIN was just a connection, your MPM would be calculated using the city that is furthest where you're stopping for more then 24 hours.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: hahaha
​​​​​​
I'm not in a place to check MPM or seasonal availability for you unfortunately but CDG was one of the must-have stops on our trip. We ended up using TP to route thru BOS-LIS-ORY, ORY being a valid coterminal for Paris.

TP to ORY serves LIS and OPO. LIS has lots of connections to Canada and east coast USA if you can route there, and OPO has connections to Newark!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.