Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have never been charged more than one change fee regardless of how much I've changed the itinerary.

"Per direction" doesn't even make sense. What is a direction? How many directions does a mini-rtw have? I could make very convincing arguments for both 4 and 1 with an itinerary like SFO-NRT-BKK-FRA-SFO.
According to the ("new") rules introduced a few years ago, the change fee is indeed charged "per direction" - defined as outbound (origin - turnaround point / stopover furthest away) and inbound. Regardless of the number of changes you make to the itinerary, you'll never pay more than twice the "base amount" in change fees.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone actually been charged twice the base amount in a single phone call?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:26 am

Long time lurker - decided to finally make an account as I try and book my first mRTW!

It's pretty basic without many day-trips, but due to time constraints (only about 3 weeks to do all of this!) I'm only planning one. I'm still very confused re: MPM and how to actually calculate what makes a valid trip, so I think this is what I'm mainly wondering about... Anyway, here it goes:

YYZ-YUL - AC Y (just a connection - I don't understand if these count as part of the MPM, so I'm listing just in case!)
YUL-ZRH - LX J (connection)
ZRH-IST - TK J - STOP
IST-HKG - TK J - Layover (19h30m)
HKG-SIN - SQ J - STOP
SIN-DPS - SQ J - DESTINATION

Option 1:
DPS-SIN - SQ J - (connection)
SIN-ZRH - LX J - (connection)
ZRH-YYZ - AC J

Option 2:
DPS-TPE - BR J - (connection)
TPE-CDG - BR J - (connection)
CDG-YYZ - AC J

Total surcharges (based off of Aeroplan/United engine searches) comes out to $446.76 for Option 1 or $287.86 for Option 2 and my understanding is that this would cost 155K AP. Any help or advice or corrections would be so greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lemmeTAN; Apr 21, 2019 at 2:34 am Reason: second option
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by lemmeTAN
YYZ-YUL - AC Y (just a connection - I don't understand if these count as part of the MPM, so I'm listing just in case!)
YUL-ZRH - LX J (connection)
ZRH-IST - TK J - STOP
IST-HKG - TK J - Layover (19h30m)
HKG-SIN - SQ J - STOP
SIN-DPS - SQ J - DESTINATION

Option 1:
DPS-SIN - SQ J - (connection)
SIN-ZRH - LX J - (connection)
ZRH-YYZ - AC J

Option 2:
DPS-TPE - BR J - (connection)
TPE-CDG - BR J - (connection)
CDG-YYZ - AC J
Your MPM for YYZ - DPS is 16293 and outbound is only 12744 and return Option 2 is 12877 (Option 1 is even shorter) so your distance is fine. 2 Stops and a destination is good. Looks valid to me! The AC legs will be increasing the YQ fees.
No idea when you're looking to go but if there's availability on BR J for TPE - YYZ I'd look at that for the end of Option 2. Home faster and even less fees.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
I’m booking a mini RTW next May and will be going from a US city to cut down YQ. If I book my positioning flights separately can I add them to the same PNR once I have everything booked?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
I’m booking a mini RTW next May and will be going from a US city to cut down YQ. If I book my positioning flights separately can I add them to the same PNR once I have everything booked?
No. You'll be able to through check luggage if you have it, but you can't combine PNRs.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
I’m booking a mini RTW next May and will be going from a US city to cut down YQ.
Lol I did that to jack up my MPM by several thousand miles

​​
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
No. You'll be able to through check luggage if you have it, but you can't combine PNRs.
Do you know if this is a case with only reward tickets? AFAIK, you get mixed results trying to combine AC PNRs when they're cash fares, so I was wondering if this was shut out for Aeroplan tickets specifically. Asking because I was interested in doing the same...though it's less important for me because I plan on taking the positioning flight a couple of days before my mRTW ticket begins
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by lemmeTAN

Total surcharges (based off of Aeroplan/United engine searches) comes out to $446.76 for Option 1 or $287.86 for Option 2 and my understanding is that this would cost 155K AP. Any help or advice or corrections would be so greatly appreciated!
YQ for both options should be the same, It will be calculated based on YYZ-DPS AC YQ ($216). Taxes will be different between ZRH and CDG. But you never know, if they choose to calculate just ZRH-YYZ or CDG-YYZ, it will be calculated origin YYZ ($500+)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:43 pm

Hi all,

To calculate the taxes on a reward ticket, do I just add up all the individual segments found on aeroplan site?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hangingaround
Hi all,

To calculate the taxes on a reward ticket, do I just add up all the individual segments found on aeroplan site?

Thanks
To calculate taxes, you can replicate the route on the ITA matrix.
YQ is different depending on origin-destination, and usually does not reflect the addition of individual segments
hangingaround likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:49 am

Thank you ranbourabu, I'll go try it out.

Another question, when I'm searching for a flight when the market fare mileage is less than the fixed mileage, can I book that flight as part of a larger itinerary? Or I can only book from flights available from the fixed mileage rewards. I'm looking at specifically LGA to YYZ. Fixed is 12,500 mileage, but they have market fare flights that only cost 7500 and 12,100. But none that are 12,500.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another question, when I'm searching for a flight when the market fare mileage is less than the fixed mileage, can I book that flight as part of a larger itinerary? Or I can only book from flights available from the fixed mileage rewards. I'm looking at specifically LGA to YYZ. Fixed is 12,500 mileage, but they have market fare flights that only cost 7500 and 12,100. But none that are 12,500.
You cant combine market flights (which are tied to the actual cost of the ticket - that 7500 mile flight is probably $60 as a cash purchase) with other fixed (X/I) flights on AC or partners.
hangingaround likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by rankourabu
To calculate taxes, you can replicate the route on the ITA matrix.
YQ is different depending on origin-destination, and usually does not reflect the addition of individual segments
If I was planning one of those crazy 16-segment mRTW itineraries, I can't put all 16 flights into ITA Matrix. Would I get the same YQ results if I just did quoted the YQ for Origin to Stop 1, Stop 1 to POT, POT to Stop 2, and Stop 2 to Origin?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX

The cost in points of an itinerary with AE is determined by origin-destination, not the price of any individual segments. Thus, if you're flying, for instance, LGA-YYZ-YVR, the price in points will be the price for LGA-YVR, regardless of what each segment costs individually.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Twickenham
The cost in points of an itinerary with AE is determined by origin-destination, not the price of any individual segments. Thus, if you're flying, for instance, LGA-YYZ-YVR, the price in points will be the price for LGA-YVR, regardless of what each segment costs individually.
That's true for Market Fare as well, since it's true for revenue fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.