Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by wildace
Silly question - but how long can a stopover be for in this type of itinerary?

Also, any luck finding being able to change ZRH-LHR-YVR to ZRH-YUL/ORD/BOS-YVR using LX as your TATL and AC or United to get to Vancouver but still in J class? Or will that exceed your MPM? That AC TATL flight is likely up to $500 in YQ, a very unnecessary YQ.

Also a tip, avoid LH and Austrian within Europe, they still scamcharge the YQ. Best airlines are Brussels Airlines, Aegean, SAS, and/or Swiss from what I was finding in my own little trip planning.
ZRH-YUL is all AC J
ZRH-ORD not available
ZRH-BOS through LIS in J then to BOS in Y on TAP
Old May 29, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by aleks77
ZRH-YUL is all AC J
ZRH-ORD not available
ZRH-BOS through LIS in J then to BOS in Y on TAP
ZRH-YUL will have availability if you can find the right date. Or ZRH-ORD. If you start the trip transatlantic, there is ORD-ZRH in Swiss J on the 20th at 7pm

The LIS-BOS leg is almost definitely phantom.

Even IST-WAW-YYZ-YVR on Lot will be better than AC transatlantic.

If you wait until the 21st there is YVR-ICN-NRT all in business. You'll still pay for scamcharges on AC but at least you won't be miserable in Y.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
ZRH-YUL will have availability if you can find the right date. Or ZRH-ORD. If you start the trip transatlantic, there is ORD-ZRH in Swiss J on the 20th at 7pm

The LIS-BOS leg is almost definitely phantom.

Even IST-WAW-YYZ-YVR on Lot will be better than AC transatlantic.

If you wait until the 21st there is YVR-ICN-NRT all in business. You'll still pay for scamcharges on AC but at least you won't be miserable in Y.
All the flights that are WAW-YYZ connect through somewhere else in Europe and all end up TATL in AC.

For me I would rather have extra 2 days in a country and not get ideal flights or ideal YQ charges, I understand that because im booking so late that im going to have to bite the bullet and accept some of the ridiculous charges, im just hoping its not something like $3000 for the entire trip.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
If you start the trip transatlantic, there is ORD-ZRH in Swiss J on the 20th at 7pm
The problem with this routing is there is no decent flights at all coming back home TPAC from Japan. Around August 10/11.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by aleks77
Just realized i still have a stop i can use, since im not doing Open-Jaw anymore, might go with this instead;

YVR-NRT - AC - Y - stop
NRT-CAN - NH - J
CAN-ADD - ET - J
ADD-SEZ - ET - Y - destination
SEZ-ADD - ET - J
ADD-NBO - ET - J
NBO-CAI - MS - J
CAI-IST - MS - J - stop (48 hours)
IST-ZRH - TK - J
ZRH-LHR - LX - J
LHR-YVR - AC - J
Nevermind, NBO is a stop also haha back to the drawing board. I called in with this trip and they quoted me $1200 per person in YQ charges, if this trip was bookable, not terrible?

Last edited by aleks77; May 30, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Old May 30, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If I were you I'd just book whatever is available now. Then if something better opens up later, pay the change fee and move to that. But you really don't want to risk flights that are available slipping away for the third time now.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If I were you I'd just book whatever is available now. Then if something better opens up later, pay the change fee and move to that. But you really don't want to risk flights that are available slipping away for the third time now.
Totally agree, going to call in the trip below tomorrow and then keep looking after.

YVR-LAX - UA - Y
LAX-NRT - UA - Y - stop
NRT-CAN - NH - J
CAN-ADD - ET - J
ADD-SEZ - ET - Y - destination
SEZ-ADD - ET - J
ADD-NBO - ET - J
NBO-CAI - MS - J
CAI-IST - MS - J
IST-PRG - TK - J
PRG-FRA - LH - J
FRA-LHR - LH - J
LHR-YVR - AC - J/Y (only 1 J seat ATM)
Old May 31, 2019, 8:46 am

honestly if you can't find the Transpacific and Transatlantic legs in J, consider taking the trip in Y and saving points for a future trip...
Old May 31, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Be really careful with CAN transfers - its a PITA exception to connecting in China

Direct international air-to-air connections are permitted at CAN. Uncertainty remains around whether you are able to leave the airport during longer transits. Passengers with passports only eligible for 24-hour TWOV may be required to remain within the transit area regardless of how long they are in transit. Passenger who would otherwise also be eligible for 72-hour TWOV may be able to leave the airport if their transit exceeds 8 hours (but is less than 24 hours). Passengers with less than 8 hours needing to collect bags in CAN to transfer airlines may not be permitted to enter China for the purpose of collecting bags and re-checking. You may be required to contact the operating airline of your onward flight to collect your bags on your behalf and re-tag them to your final destination.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:54 am

Would it possible to do a mini rtw from and to the Southern South America zone ? IE - Do I get 2 stops + a destination if I do a round trip within one zone?
Old May 31, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jfacowns
Would it possible to do a mini rtw from and to the Southern South America zone ? IE - Do I get 2 stops + a destination if I do a round trip within one zone?
If you're going from NA (or Europe etc.) to Southern South America and then travelling around Southern South America then yes, the inter-continental rules should apply and you'd get the 2+1. If you're *just* travelling around Southern South America then they wouldn't.
Not sure if AP's "inter-continental" definition is expressly described somewhere but I don't believe it corresponds to the IATA zones.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FPC Platinum, SPG/Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, BW Diamond Select
Given the current political tension between Canada & China with the arrest of the Huawei executive in Vancouver late last year on behalf of the US, the specious detention and arrest of at least two Canadians in China, the banning of some Canadian food imports into China and the comments from the Chinese ambassador to Canada, does anybody have any hesitation in transiting through PEK or is any worry about this completely unwarranted? I'd appreciate any feedback in anticipation of booking a trip with a 6+ hour layover in PEK.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Shenanigans
Given the current political tension between Canada & China with the arrest of the Huawei executive in Vancouver late last year on behalf of the US, the specious detention and arrest of at least two Canadians in China, the banning of some Canadian food imports into China and the comments from the Chinese ambassador to Canada, does anybody have any hesitation in transiting through PEK or is any worry about this completely unwarranted? I'd appreciate any feedback in anticipation of booking a trip with a 6+ hour layover in PEK.
I'd avoid it if possible, but thousands of Canadians travel to China each day, I wouldn't hesitate it if you can't find anything better.
Shenanigans likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
i’d avoid it but entirely NOT for the reasons you describe - PEK is a horrible airport with really long lines at security and immigration (and you must go through both even if you’re just transiting), and the lounges are crap - and accessible with Priority Pass (even for CA F lounge, which is no different from J). Food in the lounges is very meh too. So try to avoid PEK if you can.
Shenanigans likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

i’d avoid it but entirely NOT for the reasons you describe - PEK is a horrible airport with really long lines at security and immigration (and you must go through both even if you’re just transiting), and the lounges are crap - and accessible with Priority Pass (even for CA F lounge, which is no different from J). Food in the lounges is very meh too. So try to avoid PEK if you can.
I looked at switching my itinerary to get SQ suites out of PEK. The combination of the political situation and the crappy airport/lounge put me off. I'm currently booked NRT-BKK-SIN and considered NRT-PEK-SIN but decided against it for the reasons above. I will settle for TG first rather than risk issues in PEK for SQ suites. Who knows, maybe I'm crazy.

I also just really don't want to get caught up in the politics between China/Canada.
yscleo and Shenanigans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.