Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not quite how it works, as NBO is your destination, you will be charged for the entire routing of YQ (not just the govt regulated YVR-TYO)
Also, are you sure that YVR-NBO MPM will allow for routing via Tokyo, Singapore and Mumbai?
The return will also be over $500 because of the AC leg.

As a curiousity, if in Y why arent you just taking the nonstop YYC-NRT available on the 19th?

But it looks like, since this is a fairly last minute booking for peak season, you'll just have to take what you came up with.
I called in and confirmed my routing is valid, i think its close within 100 miles for the YVR-NBO mpm.

I think you mean the YVR-NRT direct? Yes thats an option too, probably will just go with that.

Ya this is pretty last minute, so I understand there will be some Y flights and the taxes will be a bit high.

I also looked at options for flying into KIX or HND, but same thing only Y TPAC.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by aleks77
I called in and confirmed my routing is valid, i think its close within 100 miles for the YVR-NBO mpm.

I think you mean the YVR-NRT direct? Yes thats an option too, probably will just go with that.

Ya this is pretty last minute, so I understand there will be some Y flights and the taxes will be a bit high.

I also looked at options for flying into KIX or HND, but same thing only Y TPAC.
pretty sure I saw YYCNRT nonstop on the 19th in Y
Old May 26, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX

Can you leave on the 18th? I'm seeing YVR-ICN (AC J)-NRT (ET Y) available. Not sure if it would put you over MPM, but worth a try.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Can you leave on the 18th? I'm seeing YVR-ICN (AC J)-NRT (ET Y) available. Not sure if it would put you over MPM, but worth a try.
We cant unfortunately.

Called in to book, at first SQ flights wouldn't work, called back later with TK flights, no luck. Now some other airlines aren't bookable either. They are having some Syncing issues, been going on for a month tho! Literally tried 3-4 different routes, all show up but none bookable. I guess I have to just wait and see if it gets fixed/other flights open up?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: hahaha
Looks like you won't be spending too much time at each of your layovers (2-3 hours you budgeted on your preliminary routing) so you're definitely not picking these cities (IST, LHR, ZRH, etc.) because you wanna visit them. Did you choose this route because they're the airlines you wanted to fly with? If so, have you tried searching for availability by going eastbound before stopping in Japan and returning home? If you're flexible with trying other airlines (and thus other cities) maybe we can suggest some slight modifications to your routing.

Also, I learned the other day that if you have a sufficiently long connection at IST (and eligible for Turkish e-visa/visa) you can take a free day-long tour of the city, courtesy of TK https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i.../touristanbul/

To tie this into my first point, if you took something like this tour, you'd open yourself up to potentially flying on TK to (or from) North America, saving you the convoluted routing through Europe (and on AC J scam charges)!
Old May 27, 2019, 3:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by asovse1
Looks like you won't be spending too much time at each of your layovers (2-3 hours you budgeted on your preliminary routing) so you're definitely not picking these cities (IST, LHR, ZRH, etc.) because you wanna visit them. Did you choose this route because they're the airlines you wanted to fly with? If so, have you tried searching for availability by going eastbound before stopping in Japan and returning home? If you're flexible with trying other airlines (and thus other cities) maybe we can suggest some slight modifications to your routing.

Also, I learned the other day that if you have a sufficiently long connection at IST (and eligible for Turkish e-visa/visa) you can take a free day-long tour of the city, courtesy of TK https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i.../touristanbul/

To tie this into my first point, if you took something like this tour, you'd open yourself up to potentially flying on TK to (or from) North America, saving you the convoluted routing through Europe (and on AC J scam charges)!
Just a point on the TK free tour before this becomes a runaway train - there’s a whole thread on this here on FT (as on anything, haha) but the most important point is this: your flight must be such that there is no earlier option to connect and your minimum connection is 8 hours for business or 12 for economy. This, critically, doesn’t mean “there was no space on the earlier flight” - this means “there was no flight”. Which mostly means that feeder flights for Europe are often not going to work because there’s usually multiple flights per day and onwards connections to Asia are all around midnight - 2am. So if you want to take advantage of this, make sure to find flights that work. Usually, N.America to Asia works well as they land in the morning and depart at midnight, but for European flights you’ll have to find some unpopular feeder with a single flight in a day or so.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: hahaha
Talking

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Just a point on the TK free tour before this becomes a runaway train - there’s a whole thread on this here on FT (as on anything, haha) but the most important point is this: your flight must be such that there is no earlier option to connect and your minimum connection is 8 hours for business or 12 for economy. This, critically, doesn’t mean “there was no space on the earlier flight” - this means “there was no flight”. Which mostly means that feeder flights for Europe are often not going to work because there’s usually multiple flights per day and onwards connections to Asia are all around midnight - 2am. So if you want to take advantage of this, make sure to find flights that work. Usually, N.America to Asia works well as they land in the morning and depart at midnight, but for European flights you’ll have to find some unpopular feeder with a single flight in a day or so.

I had no idea about those restrictions, thanks for pointing those out. Sorry for hijacking but here's the mentioned thread: TK in IST: Thread #3 - Transit and Stopover Hotel, Touristanbul, Sleeping Rooms
Old May 27, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
We cant unfortunately.

Called in to book, at first SQ flights wouldn't work, called back later with TK flights, no luck. Now some other airlines aren't bookable either. They are having some Syncing issues, been going on for a month tho! Literally tried 3-4 different routes, all show up but none bookable. I guess I have to just wait and see if it gets fixed/other flights open up?
Sign up for an expertflyer trial and verify that the flights you want are showing award availability.

You should book peak season flights closer to a year out than two months out, but what's done is done. If you can clarify what constraints you have (start/end date, any dates you need to be at a destination) we can try to help you out.

Also, YVR-NBO MPM is 14273 while YVR-SEZ MPM is 14966. I believe your destination is always your furthest point away from you, in this case, SEZ.

You can do YVR-NRT-IST-SEZ or some near combination of that for around 13,852 miles. Then from there, SEZ-ADD-NBO-IST-ZRH-YUL-YVR for example for just 12,296.

This is a much cheaper routing as you avoid AC, you'll get a much better J product (in my opinion) and you won't need to buy an itinerary on your own dime (and face problems if you miss a connection due to it).
Old May 27, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Now that i am finally married I can finish booking this Honeymoon! Here is my latest and greatest itinerary i could put together, open to any suggestions. Cant seem to find a flight to Japan (kix, hnd, nrt) in J

YVR-YYC - AC - J
YYC-NRT - AC - Y *STOP*
NRT-SIN - SQ - J
SIN-BOM - SQ - Y (will keep looking for J to open up)
BOM-ADD - ET - J
ADD-NBO - ET - Y *OPEN JAW*
NBO-SEZ - *Cash ticket*
SEZ-ADD - ET - J
ADD-IST - TK - J
IST-ZRH - TK - J
ZRH-LHR - LX - Y (J was available 2 days ago, will keep checking back)
LHR-YVR - AC - J
a) Isn't this like the third time you've posted here and we've shown you great alternatives, but then you never booked them and the routing went away? lol. At this point i would (again) just book WHATEVER J you can find. Don't gamble on maybe space opening up somewhere. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush yada yada

b) Congratulations on getting married!

c) Can't find anything to improve YVR-Japan

Japan-NBO I can see
HND-BKK July 30, TG683
BKK-ADD July 31 (1am departure), ET629
ADD-NBO July 31, July 31, ET318

all the way in J. You can also fly Japan-SIN-BKK if you really want to make the detour to fly SQ, but you end up with a 10h layover in BKK...:
HND-SIN-BKK July30 SQ639 to SQ974

I can also see:
AC 803 ZRH 10:05 YVR 11:30 788 0 CS+

to connect from your SEZ-ADD-IST-ZRH flight, which saves you the detour via LHR
Old May 27, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by asovse1

Im picking these cities just because i dont see anything else available to fly back home, and i wanted to try TK J But it really doesnt matter, from SEZ i wanna get back home in Business, i much prefer do it on Turkish than say Ethiopian....

I am 110% open to any and all suggestions!

Originally Posted by Rykoshet
Sign up for an expertflyer trial and verify that the flights you want are showing award availability.

You should book peak season flights closer to a year out than two months out, but what's done is done. If you can clarify what constraints you have (start/end date, any dates you need to be at a destination) we can try to help you out.

Also, YVR-NBO MPM is 14273 while YVR-SEZ MPM is 14966. I believe your destination is always your furthest point away from you, in this case, SEZ.

You can do YVR-NRT-IST-SEZ or some near combination of that for around 13,852 miles. Then from there, SEZ-ADD-NBO-IST-ZRH-YUL-YVR for example for just 12,296.

This is a much cheaper routing as you avoid AC, you'll get a much better J product (in my opinion) and you won't need to buy an itinerary on your own dime (and face problems if you miss a connection due to it).
Ya i know i should have booked this a long time ago! Next trip i promise haha

Here are my places we want to visit, and the dates;

Must leave YVR July 19th
Japan (doesnt matter where we land) July 20th to 30/31st
Next stop would be NBO or SEZ
5-6 days in each place
Must be home on August 11 before midnight

Dont care what direction we do the trip in either....

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:25 pm

Im picking these cities just because i dont see anything else available to fly back home, and i wanted to try TK J But it really doesnt matter, from SEZ i wanna get back home in Business, i much prefer do it on Turkish than say Ethiopian....

I am 110% open to any and all suggestions!

Ya i know i should have booked this a long time ago! Next trip i promise haha

Here are my places we want to visit, and the dates;

Must leave YVR July 19th
Japan (doesnt matter where we land) July 20th to 30/31st
Next stop would be NBO or SEZ
5-6 days in each place
Must be home on August 11 before midnight

Dont care what direction we do the trip in either....

Thanks for all your help guys!
Direction doesn't matter? So you can leave Japan for Aug 1-11?
Old May 27, 2019, 8:42 pm

Direction doesn't matter? So you can leave Japan for Aug 1-11?
Yep totally fine!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:53 pm

Oh ya and i checked Expert Flyer, there is space available on every single flight im trying to book and that Aeroplan shows is available also, But when i call or when i press "SELECT -> BOOK" it gives me "THE ITINERARY YOU REQUESTED IS NOT AVAILABLE We're sorry, but due to real-time availability, the itinerary you requested is no longer available."
Old May 27, 2019, 9:00 pm

Yep totally fine!
Ok so this is a mixed bag. Are you married to the Seychelles? Would you do the Maldives instead? I've scraped flights ADD-SEZ and IST-SEZ and wasn't able to find any IST-SEZ J inventory, though it could be NH awards giving me trouble.

SEZ is only served by IST and ADD airports. Lucky for you, since SEZ is your final stop, you are allowed to revisit ADD, once before, and once after. Unlucky for you, there's very, very limited J availability ADD-SEZ. If you are set on on going there, you'll probably have to rough it in Y.

However, you can still build a killer outbound (TATL) leg which includes NBO, for example: yvr-yul-zrh-bcn-ath-cai-nbo-add-sez

Your inbound leg could be sez-add-sin-icn-nrt-yvr

Oh ya and i checked Expert Flyer, there is space available on every single flight im trying to book and that Aeroplan shows is available also, But when i call or when i press "SELECT -> BOOK" it gives me "THE ITINERARY YOU REQUESTED IS NOT AVAILABLE We're sorry, but due to real-time availability, the itinerary you requested is no longer available."
Is there just space, or actual award space?
Old May 27, 2019, 9:06 pm

Ok so this is a mixed bag. Are you married to the Seychelles? Would you do the Maldives instead? I've scraped flights ADD-SEZ and IST-SEZ and wasn't able to find any IST-SEZ J inventory, though it could be NH awards giving me trouble.

SEZ is only served by IST and ADD airports. Lucky for you, since SEZ is your final stop, you are allowed to revisit ADD, once before, and once after. Unlucky for you, there's very, very limited J availability ADD-SEZ. If you are set on on going there, you'll probably have to rough it in Y.

However, you can still build a killer outbound (TATL) leg which includes NBO, for example: yvr-yul-zrh-bcn-ath-cai-nbo-add-sez

Your inbound leg could be sez-add-sin-icn-nrt-yvr
I dont mind roughing it in couple Y flights honestly, especially the 2-3 hour ones.

Ill look into the TATL outbound now!

Is there just space, or actual award space?
Actually im not sure, how exactly do i know, i dont see anything about award space?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.