Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by darwiniandemon
I liked them too! Hence my original feedback.
Maybe beep88 had bad luck with the crew. The other BKK-FRA plane also isn't the newest.

The A380 was honestly pretty good. The staff was young and energetic. One flight attendant, around 30 years old, kept coming around to make sure my wife & I were happy. (Guess because we're around the same age?)

The problem is, once you've flown with SQ J (in the new config), anything else is "lackluster". Even that flight attendant admitted how much better SQ is vs TG.
Meh, SQ is very, very far from the gold standard. I guess this is like my TG experience - everyone tends to bash them while I find them pretty good, and with SQ, everyone loves them to no end while I find them SQUARELY middle of the road. My J experience with them was decidedly average (nothing bad, and nothing good), and I thought that when I finally fly the crown jewel -
suites - my world will be shattered and new horizons will open - well... I'm behind on my trip report, but yeah. No.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Meh, SQ is very, very far from the gold standard. I guess this is like my TG experience - everyone tends to bash them while I find them pretty good, and with SQ, everyone loves them to no end while I find them SQUARELY middle of the road. My J experience with them was decidedly average (nothing bad, and nothing good), and I thought that when I finally fly the crown jewel -
suites - my world will be shattered and new horizons will open - well... I'm behind on my trip report, but yeah. No.
SQ on average is still better than TG. You just happened to get two bad crews.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
mini rtw mia bkk syd

So I spoke with aeroplan again and was told the following

to go from

mia to fra to bkk to syd and return is impossible

you have to do 2 awards

mia to fra to bkk ( 210000 in first) the bkk to syd return to bkk for 90000 in business

total 310000 per person taxes 1500 which for 6 first segments and 2 business 1 economy is pretty reasonable

is there any other way to do this using 1 award
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mboca28
So I spoke with aeroplan again and was told the following

to go from

mia to fra to bkk to syd and return is impossible

you have to do 2 awards

mia to fra to bkk ( 210000 in first) the bkk to syd return to bkk for 90000 in business

total 310000 per person taxes 1500 which for 6 first segments and 2 business 1 economy is pretty reasonable

is there any other way to do this using 1 award
MIA-FRA-SIN-SYD may be a published SQ routing, so should be allowed, but you won't find any F seats, and J is difficult.

YYZ-SYD MPM5 is 21,000 via Europe, which allows you to route however you like within 21,000 miles, so you may want to start from YYZ and purchase a separate positioning flight MIA-YYZ.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

No mpm for MIA-SYD over the Atlantic, but there is from YYZ. (Try YYZ-FRA-SYD-YYZ on Aeroplan, it works online)

Do a one way ticket MIA-YYZ, start your trip from YYZ. On the return, route through Miami and skip all of the last few legs.

EDIT: Beat to the punch
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:41 pm

Next week I will be in Singapore and Bangkok. Weather forecast is unlike any I had experience before. In SIN its 33+ feels like 45+ and thundershowers everyday we are there. BKK is 36+ feels like 50+ and a chance of thundershowers everyday. Did I pick the wrong time to go there and what does one do there when its that hot and wet? Please comment from your own experience on these conditions.

Also we are just taking 2 carry on each on J tickets. Carriers are AC,CA,SQ,LX... Any issues with that. I know SQ is the lowest limit of 7 kg each bag. Are all these airline watch the limits intently?

Still will try to change the return if available.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:59 am

Looking to fly from YVR-ATH. Ideally on TK. YVR-YYZ-IST-ATH is available on the TK website so I assume it's a published routing.
Return will be o/j from Croatia eastbound to YVR. Connections in Asia will be less than 24 hours.
Will I be able to route Croatia-IST-Asia-YVR?
Or
1, will I need to find a different route across the Atlantic?
2, A different route from Croatia?
3, Or more than 24 hours in IST on the return?

Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by tracon
Looking to fly from YVR-ATH. Ideally on TK. YVR-YYZ-IST-ATH is available on the TK website so I assume it's a published routing.
Return will be o/j from Croatia eastbound to YVR. Connections in Asia will be less than 24 hours.
Or

Thanks.
You didn't specify where you are flying from in Croatia, but for the sake of argument, I chose Zagreb.

ZAG-YVR's allowable mileage + 5% via the Pacific is 12,647 miles.

The most direct route back to Vancouver from ZAG to YVR via IST is ZAG-IST-PEK-YVR which is 10,416 per GCMap so lots of freedom to play with the routing, you could fly a bit further south, or fly PEK-LAX-YVR, etc.

Adding a stop in IST of >24 hours is highly recommended, but will do nothing for your routing. By using an open jaw, you are establishing your destination as the two open jaw cities for MPM purposes.

Mark
Old May 5, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Diamond.
I have a exceptional question little bit which is involved in Aeroplan awad ticket Policy.

Is it legal itinerary the departure and the place going back are different country?
such as
outbound SIN to ICN
inbound ICN to BKK
Old May 5, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Yes, as long as they're in the same IATA region.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Diamond.
Thanks many.^^
Old May 5, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Next week I will be in Singapore and Bangkok. Weather forecast is unlike any I had experience before. In SIN its 33+ feels like 45+ and thundershowers everyday we are there. BKK is 36+ feels like 50+ and a chance of thundershowers everyday. Did I pick the wrong time to go there and what does one do there when its that hot and wet? Please comment from your own experience on these conditions.

Also we are just taking 2 carry on each on J tickets. Carriers are AC,CA,SQ,LX... Any issues with that. I know SQ is the lowest limit of 7 kg each bag. Are all these airline watch the limits intently?

Still will try to change the return if available.
So we got back from our MRTW in Jaunary and I finally wrote it up. But based on what we found (and it was only 27-30 in SIN) if you can split your day into morning and evening activities and sort of escape to the pool for midday it works really well. Evening temps were much more manageable.

And... we didn't get called out by the agents on AC or SQ wrt carry-on weight (and my carry-on was definitely not <7kg) but as with anything, my experiences are only one data point.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE
is yvr-fra-hnd-bkk valid?
Old May 6, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
YVR-BKK MPM5 over Atlantic is 13983 (9242 over Pacific). That route is 13670 miles so should be valid.
Old May 7, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by tracon
Or

Thanks.
I am being told by several agents that YVR-IST-ATH return the same way is not a valid route. This is because IST is the furthest point, even though YVR-IST-ATH is a published route.
Who is right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.