Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
BKK, because you use the shortest distance for each destination to compare, not the longest.

Otherwise you'd end up saying SEA-HNL is longer over the Atlantic than SEA-SIN
Thank you for all the help!! I booked my first mini-RTW today! Had to make some adjustments to accommodate December travel dates and to avoid scamcharges... but glad I was able to finally accomplish this mission!

SEA-SFO
SFO-CPH-TXL (stop @ Berlin via Copenhagen)
TXL-IST
IST-BKK (turnaround @ Bangkok)
BKK-SIN
SIN-HKG (stop @ Hong Kong)
HKG-TPE
TPE-SEA (direct from Taipei to Seattle)

Total $255 taxes & fees/pp
Old May 28, 2014, 5:58 am

Does anyone know what the stopover rules are for routes that do not originate or terminate in NA?

I'm toying with the idea of a PER-AKL redemption, and am wondering if it's possible to work in a SYD stopover. Of course this word all be nested inside a two-stopover Asian/OZ redemption....Maybe I'm just playing with fire?

The idea is to do something like:

YYC - SFO/SEA/YVR
SFO/SEA - NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE (stop)
NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG - PER (Stop) (nearly all of these gateways fit under MPM)

*NESTED*
PER - SYD (stop)
SYD - AKL (dest.)
AKL - PER
*END NESTED BOOKING*

PER - NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG (Stop - This will be different then the on visited on the o/b)
NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG - SFO/SEA/YVR
SFO/SEA/YVR - YYC

Last edited by BMGfan; May 28, 2014 at 6:05 am
Old May 28, 2014, 4:04 pm

*shameless bump* :P
Old May 28, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
28.4. Intracontinental travel (travel within the same continent) except for travel within Canada/Continental USA, or between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean: Stopovers are not permitted. One open jaw is permitted.
In other words, not possible, unless you can make some kind of open jaw out of it.
My question: could you not make AKL your point of turnaround, and book everything as one redemption, or is the MPM, as I assume too short YYC-AKL to fit in Asia? Wouldn't YYC-SIN-SYD/AKL possibly be a published route?

Also, here a link to AP rules for awards for future reference: RULES
Old May 28, 2014, 4:11 pm

Not really sure how you intend to go from Perth to Sydney, given that there are no intra-Australia Star Alliance carriers... Taking a detour to Singapore doesn't seem likely either
Old May 28, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by crimsona
Not really sure how you intend to go from Perth to Sydney, given that there are no intra-Australia Star Alliance carriers... Taking a detour to Singapore doesn't seem likely either
PER-AKL might be an option on NZ, but I cant see any availability until the end of July. You could buy a tix AKL-SYD for a fair price if SYD is a must.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Does anyone know what the stopover rules are for routes that do not originate or terminate in NA?

I'm toying with the idea of a PER-AKL redemption, and am wondering if it's possible to work in a SYD stopover. Of course this word all be nested inside a two-stopover Asian/OZ redemption....Maybe I'm just playing with fire?

The idea is to do something like:

YYC - SFO/SEA/YVR
SFO/SEA - NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE (stop)
NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG - PER (Stop) (nearly all of these gateways fit under MPM)

*NESTED*
PER - SYD (stop)
SYD - AKL (dest.)
AKL - PER
*END NESTED BOOKING*

PER - NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG (Stop - This will be different then the on visited on the o/b)
NRT/SIN/BKK/TPE/ICN/PVG/HKG - SFO/SEA/YVR
SFO/SEA/YVR - YYC
Right now I'm seeing your RTW as YYC-...-Asia (stop) - PER (POT) - Asia (stop) - YYC which should be okay. However, Star doesn't have any Australian airlines so there wouldn't be anything to get you from PER-SYD.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
In other words, not possible, unless you can make some kind of open jaw out of it.
My question: could you not make AKL your point of turnaround, and book everything as one redemption, or is the MPM, as I assume too short YYC-AKL to fit in Asia? Wouldn't YYC-SIN-SYD/AKL possibly be a published route?

Also, here a link to AP rules for awards for future reference: RULES
Thanks for the rules link. I was looking for those and everytime I clicked on "how to build a valid route" it redirected me to the "use your miles" page and never gave me the popup. I bookmarked the rules now.

AKL and SYD don't have the MPM or availability to use them as POTs. SIN has great MPM, but is physically much closer and can't be used.

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
PER-AKL might be an option on NZ, but I cant see any availability until the end of July. You could buy a tix AKL-SYD for a fair price if SYD is a must.
I found a fair bit of PER-AKL on NZ openings, and this was what perked my interest. Alas it looks like a revenue ticket is the way to go here.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Silly question I'm sure, but I'm seeing some past itineraries here with a mix of J and F seats.

Does that come from booking a J award and getting lucky (up to F) on a couple of legs, or booking an F award and getting screwed (down to J) on a couple of legs?
Old May 31, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
The latter. You definitely do not "get lucky" and upgrade to F for free, at least not on booking (and likely not ever).
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:57 am

And from my experience, even AC won't bump people up if their award was booked in a higher class.

I was seated in Y on JFK-YYZ on an F award and wasn't upgraded even though the J cabin only had 1 passenger.

I was also seated in Y on TXL-FRA on LH because of a mess up on Aeroplan's part (ANA showed availability but numerous AP agents couldn't get J space to show up - I gave up fighting as the LH regional J is just a Y seat with the middle blocked off.) In the end the LH agent blocked off the middle seat for me at check-in.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tng11
I was seated in Y on JFK-YYZ on an F award and wasn't upgraded even though the J cabin only had 1 passenger.
You are supposed to get onto an upgrade waitlist (behind all others) on AC metal if booked in Y on a J or F Aeroplan award. Were you on Aeroplan award? Did you ask to be placed on the upgrade waitlist at the airport?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by echino
You are supposed to get onto an upgrade waitlist (behind all others) on AC metal if booked in Y on a J or F Aeroplan award. Were you on Aeroplan award? Did you ask to be placed on the upgrade waitlist at the airport?
Is it behind all others? I've always wondered what the exact sequencing is. An Aeroplan award has similar weigth to full fare in flexibility, so do they really get thrown behind the E35Ks with their 5 eUps?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Is it behind all others? I've always wondered what the exact sequencing is. An Aeroplan award has similar weigth to full fare in flexibility, so do they really get thrown behind the E35Ks with their 5 eUps?
Yes, it's dead last.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 1:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rehoult
Yes, it's dead last.
Rats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.