Mini RTW Questions

Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by nicok
Hi, i'm looking for a mini RTW next april/may from YQB or YUL to New Zealand (AKL or CHC)...
I did have a perfect itinerary involving EVA from YYZ to TPE that i found, that seems valid as it was bookable on Aeroplan (i took screenshot of it to be sure!)
Looked like that:

YQB-YYZ AC Y
YYZ-TPE BR J
TPE-SIN BR J
SIN-CHC SQ Y (no J even 1 year out... but as some have posted they often open J seats 2 weeks before... i looked on ANA couple of times and they almost always have 2 seats 2 weeks before..)

Return would have been the same to avoid YQ / long trips going over Europe...

Thing is since last week, you can't book BR through Aeroplan, 'computer' glitch they say, even if you can book seats through United and ANA shows the seat since last week....
Plus looks like there are no J seats to or from TPE to any north american cities for all of may 2015... you have loads of availability in Y, nothing in J from YYZ/LAX/SFO etc...

So I looked a bit more, and for example you could do this itinerary as a one way 15/06/2015
AKL-SIN (SQ) Y
SIN-FCO (SQ) J
FCO-FRA (LH) J
FRA-YUL (LH) Y
95$ taxes....
You could also do all in Y tough also the 15/06
AKL-SIN SQ
SIN-FRA LH
FRA-YUL LH
80.90$ taxes!

1) My main question is here!
I looked a couple of dates for this trip, and for some reasons no YQ even if lot's of LH in the trips... key seems to start with SQ and end with LH. As soon as you put AC in the mix you get YQ...
Also if you start with LH and then go SQ, you get charge, but 159$ of YQ for YUL-FRA for example, instead of 330$ for AC for the same flight...

So, since my dates are not bookable online in april/may, if i call and spoon feed the agent my flights, are they going to calculate manually the YQ's or is it a computer glitch 'forgetting' YQ's on LH right now???
I took a couple of screen shot showing the total taxes with the flights in case..

Anybody succeded in phone booking LH flights and not getting huge YQ's lately?

2) I wondered what was the MPM for YUL or YQB to AKL or CHC?
And would a screen shot of a detailed aeroplan one-way that seems legit would be considered a published route if the agent is arguing?

I've seen some pretty crazy routing on Aeroplan site lately like this one:

CHC-SIN-MLE-IST-YUL (my question here: could you stop in the Maldives for real on the return?!?)
CHC-SIN-CPH-ZRH-YUL

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated!
No fuel surcharge with your itinerary is due to a combination of a fuel surcharge and fare combination quirk. Any itineraries ex-New Zealand doesn't use fuel surcharge in the fare, but rather an embedded Q suarcharge which functions sorta like a fuel surcharge (to present to consumers an all-in fare). That's where it affects Aeroplan, because AP charges YQ. With most fares ex-AKL AP is able to pick up the embedded Q but in this scenario the fare combination makes the engine not pick up the Q (or the fare not show the Q).

I agree - if there's SQ and/or TK J with no YQ, do that.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hello folks,

I have finally accumulated a large enough amount of AP to consider a mini-RTW trip. I currently have about 360,000 points and would like to plan for next year.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to look for desirable flights on the A380 or 787 out of YYC?

Some destinations that I am considering include:

MIA
CDG
ATH
IST
CPT
DXB
SIN
MEL
SYD
HNL

I realize that a lot of these destinations probably violate some distance rules but I'm still trying to learn the best way to stretch out the travel so that it turns into more of RTW than a mini-RTW ...

Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks
mini-RTW allows two stopovers in addition to your destination. So basically, pick 3 places on your list, and a few more where you'd make do with less than a 24 hour stopover. Otherwise, you could consider a RTW award on Aeroplan...

Nobody in Star flies 787's or A380's to YYC, as far as I know.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:00 pm

Pretty much if you want A380 on *A, these are your options:

LH ($$$, terrible J product for the most part but really great F):
FRA-IAH/MIA/SFO/JFK/PEK/PVG/JNB/SIN

TG ($$$):
BKK-FRA/CDG/KIX/NRT

SQ: zero premium availability, so forget it

787:

NH ($$$, good longhaul product, crappy regional):
HND-FRA/MUC/SIN/TSA/PEK (and a lot of domestic routes)
NRT-SJC/SEA

LO (low YQ)
WAW-YYZ/ORD/JFK/PEK

AC has a bunch with varying schedules, and UA as well.

Last edited by tng11; Jul 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by tng11
Pretty much if you want A380 on *A, these are your options:

LH ($$$, terrible J product for the most part but really great F):
FRA-IAH/MIA/SFO/JFK/PEK/PVG/JNB/SIN

TG ($$$):
BKK-FRA/CDG/KIX/NRT
Don't forget ICN-LAX on Asiana starting later this summer
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:18 pm

AC has a bunch with varying schedules, and UA as well.
Have they even received the second frame yet? Regardles 1 (or 2) does not make 'a bunch'
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
Have they even received the second frame yet? Regardles 1 (or 2) does not make 'a bunch'
Bunch of routes, that is.

e.g. it's operating YYZ-HND until October, YYZ-LHR for the Winter schedule, etc. etc. etc. By the time said poster actually books something who knows where the 787 will be operating by the time he travels>
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:05 pm

It it's helpful for anyone, SQ seems to have T-14 availability in Suites for SIN-DEL-SIN to Aeroplan. Not a bad way to get to/from Europe if you can pair it with one of the LH F FRA/MUC-DEL routes.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC, DL, AA
Need help finding best booking

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to do a mini RTW with my miles but my plans have changed and I instead need to do an open jaw set of flights.

I'm looking to travel from YOW to DPS mid to late September. I have to be in DPS by Oct 1st but wouldn't mind getting there days to a week or two in advance. I have enough miles to fly first so that's what i'm looking at booking. The best I can get from the Aeroplan website is econ from Canada to Frankfurt then TG F to BKK and then Business on TG from BKK to DPS.

My next flight will be in January going from JNB to YOW. I'm looking at booking first again probably mid to late Janurary.

I've been trying to do this myself trying to use ExpertFlyer but it's been confusing. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kerlo
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to do a mini RTW with my miles but my plans have changed and I instead need to do an open jaw set of flights.

I'm looking to travel from YOW to DPS mid to late September. I have to be in DPS by Oct 1st but wouldn't mind getting there days to a week or two in advance. I have enough miles to fly first so that's what i'm looking at booking. The best I can get from the Aeroplan website is econ from Canada to Frankfurt then TG F to BKK and then Business on TG from BKK to DPS.

My next flight will be in January going from JNB to YOW. I'm looking at booking first again probably mid to late Janurary.

I've been trying to do this myself trying to use ExpertFlyer but it's been confusing. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!
Try Sept 19th.
YOW-LHR AC888 Business
LHR-BKK TG911 First
BKK-DPS TG431 Business
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by monkai
Try Sept 19th.
YOW-LHR AC888 Business
LHR-BKK TG911 First
BKK-DPS TG431 Business
Thank you for this! I don't know why I couldn't find this on my own.

I ended up calling Aeroplan and the agent I got was Super Friendly! The fees were about $745 for the above itinerary. He was able to get the following for me:

Departs Sept 26th
YOW-ORD UA 5126 Exec
ORD-NRT UA 881 First
NRT-BKK NH 885 Exec
BKK-SIN SQ 975 Business
SIN-DPS SQ 948 Business

For this booking, the layovers are longer, there are more connections, but the cost was $109 all-in. I couldn't pass it up as I would be saving over $600. Also I think i'll have time to visit a friend in BKK since I'm overnighting there. My only disappointment is that I've been seeing that United Global First doesn't have the best of reviews but I can live with that. It's my longest leg and it will still be comfortable.

Last edited by Kerlo; Jul 6, 2014 at 11:30 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kerlo
Thank you for this! I don't know why I couldn't find this on my own.

I ended up calling Aeroplan and the agent I got was Super Friendly! The fees were about $745 for the above itinerary. He was able to get the following for me:

Departs Sept 26th
YOW-ORD UA 5126 Exec
ORD-NRT UA 881 First
NRT-BKK NH 885 Exec
BKK-SIN SA 975 Business
SIN-DPS SA 948 Business

For this booking, the layovers are longer, there are more connections, but the cost was $109 all-in. I couldn't pass it up as I would be saving over $600. Also I think i'll have time to visit a friend in BKK since I'm overnighting there. My only disappointment is that I've been seeing that United Global First doesn't have the best of reviews but I can live with that. It's my longest leg and it will still be comfortable.
Nice!

Closer to departure, it might be worth seeing if you can get ORD-NRT in NH F and NRT-BKK in TG F as both of these do have space within T-14 at times. You might pay a few hundred more, but I guarantee you'll have the time of your life. ^
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:26 pm

Nice!

Closer to departure, it might be worth seeing if you can get ORD-NRT in NH F and NRT-BKK in TG F as both of these do have space within T-14 at times. You might pay a few hundred more, but I guarantee you'll have the time of your life. ^
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:17 pm

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to book a set of J mini-RTWs for the Bride and me, but have been unable to locate an "airline/airplane experience" thread. We want to go to AUH, PER, and SIN as our main 3 stops and turn-around, and reading various threads it seems that to have low or no YQ it would be good to fly TK from YYZ to IST. However, I have no idea how to find out if TK is rated high or low for service and comfort.

Similarly, I have no idea yet who would take us from IST to AUH and from AUH to PER, but it would be nice if the AE agent suggests some options, to know which airline(s) NOT to take...

Can anyone pls point me in the right direction so our mini-RTWs will be trips to treasure?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:32 pm

Aeroplan.com does not think YYZ-AUH-PER-YYZ is a valid multi-city itinerary (Expertflyer says there's no MPM for YYZ-PER over the Atlantic, only Pacific - which is stupid because there is a AT mpm for YYZ-SYD)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
TK is highly regarded on here. They should be able to get you from IST-AUH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.