Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Called AE last night around 6:00pm Toronto time and was only on hold about 1 minute! Shocked me!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone have a suggestion about the best time of day (in the Pacific time zone) to call AC reservations?? I just need to get seat assignments but every time I've called in the past few days, I have waited 15-30 min. listening to hold music and finally giving up...I'm not flying til 2012 but it is international J and I kinda want to get my first choice on seats as soon as possible. In looking at this thread, it looks like this is a relatively common problem...sad.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I'm in the Pacific time zone and there doesn't ever seem to be a good time to be calling the general (non E/SE) line, whether I've called in during the day or 9/10pm PST. The thing that's laughable (and irksome) is how pretty much every single call into AC Reservations is initially answered with "Due to higher than expected call volumes...." I'd say based on the consistent wait times, the volume of calls is something to be expected.

At least most of my bookings can be made on the website and I can avoid the reservations line, though it does suck for the occasions that I have to call in. Not being able do seat selection or change FFP numbers online with phone reservations that have already been booked just adds to the annoyance.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
....and Westjet is just as bad for hold times but at least their system gives you the option for them to call you back when its your turn.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
65 minute hold time

I called this evening around 18h00 PDT. I now fly AC as I have to travel from YVR to YKA (Kamloops). Westjet's only routing is YVR-YYC-YKA.

Anyway...needed to call res. 65 minutes on hold. I was catching up on work after spending the past week on vacation so I had the phone on hands free mode.

When I finished what I needed to do for work I then hung up and called Air Canada's res office in Australia (my North American pkg on the landline includes 1000 free minutes to 50 countries - Australia being one of them).

The called was picked up within a minute and the phone system there advised me that I was number one in the queue. She asked where I was calling from since I'm traveling on Monday. I explained to her if you don't have status on AC that it is typically 35 minutes to get a call through to res, although, Sunday night, it was longer than usual. She was simply amazed.

Anyway, we had a very nice conversation and everything was done within 5 minutes.

Too bad long distance costs are so low these days - no incentive for AC to answer their phones more quickly as I realize customer service is really not AC's forte anymore.

Cheers
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sing-along
I called this evening around 18h00 PDT. I now fly AC as I have to travel from YVR to YKA (Kamloops). Westjet's only routing is YVR-YYC-YKA.

Anyway...needed to call res. 65 minutes on hold. I was catching up on work after spending the past week on vacation so I had the phone on hands free mode.

When I finished what I needed to do for work I then hung up and called Air Canada's res office in Australia (my North American pkg on the landline includes 1000 free minutes to 50 countries - Australia being one of them).

The called was picked up within a minute and the phone system there advised me that I was number one in the queue. She asked where I was calling from since I'm traveling on Monday. I explained to her if you don't have status on AC that it is typically 35 minutes to get a call through to res, although, Sunday night, it was longer than usual. She was simply amazed.

Anyway, we had a very nice conversation and everything was done within 5 minutes.

Too bad long distance costs are so low these days - no incentive for AC to answer their phones more quickly as I realize customer service is really not AC's forte anymore.

Cheers
The 1st attempt did not go so well.On your 2nd call you had a nice conversation and all done in less than 5 minutes.You go on to say customer service is not AC's forte anymore.

Not sure if you are trying to say glass is half full or half empty

AC,IMO,has given me very good customer service from reservations,to airport check-in,to inflight service.....^ AE,however,is a whole different experience.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:09 pm

Thumbs down On Hold

Anyone else want to strangle whoever composed that hold music for AC?
I think they should have their management listen to that loop for an hour each and we would soon never hear of it again. After 45 min on hold on Thursday (during business hours yet) I had to turn the volume down so much that when an agent actually picked up I didn't hear her. Second attempt only took 38 min. more
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by goob3r
I called last Thursday around 1PM MST. I had zero wait time to Air Canada. My method: Called the AE Elite line, asked them to patch me through to AC. I got a AC CSR right away.
Hi,

What does AE stand for and where to get their number?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:00 am

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
Crazy Wait time for E

I've been on hold for over 30 mins now. It is currently 3am in Ontario and this is crazy for a hold time. I guess now that I'm calling the "old" Elite # from 2011 I'm not put in priority...I thought these benefits lasted until Feb 29, 2012
Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by epost77
I've been on hold for over 30 mins now. It is currently 3am in Ontario and this is crazy for a hold time. I guess now that I'm calling the "old" Elite # from 2011 I'm not put in priority...I thought these benefits lasted until Feb 29, 2012
I have had to call a couple of times this week and both times had 20 minute+ hold times. I've gotten straight through in the past even during a blizzard when lots of flights were cancelled.

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Elite line has given me 30-40 min waits the last 2 times I've called. The agents have been quick and efficient when I've gotten through though.

These agents are likely taking 60-100 calls a day if not more, I feel for them being understaffed.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by rbalila
Hi,

What does AE stand for and where to get their number?
Aeroplan

1-800-361-5373
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
If both AE and AC were to spend some time making their online booking engines far more robust, I dare say they'd have far fewer calls.

Suggestions such as;
-Allowing changes to a flight that has been upgraded. If the new flight doesn't have the availability....then no upgrade. Simple as that.
-Allowing to use canceled tickets to book new tickets.
-Allowing to book multi city itineraries that include travel between 2 cities not flown by AC. (Canada-Europe on AC, Europe City-Europe City on Star Alliance, Europe City-Canada on AC)
-rebook/modify itineraries by canceling, crediting then using credits for new flights.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
AC please don't make me wait on hold for 75 minutes (and counting) to pay you $90 x 2 for a prefered seat just because I didn't (couldn't!) book on aircanada.ca
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Called at 3pm on a Sunday in August: 52 minutes on hold.

Very nice agent once I got one but this is why I don't book AC unless I can do it on the web.

[Had to call due to SQ codeshare. Not my choice! ]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.