Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up: Ridiculous Hold Times for Air Canada Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by username
I misconnected at YYZ tonight. Amazingly, the connection people were able to give me the hotel and meal vouchers right away. However, they could not rebook me. I heard others saying that the "ticketing office was closed until 4 AM". How can that be?

Calling the 800 number got a message saying we are so busy, we can't call you back or put you on hold. However, our great online tools can help you.

Online, my connecting flight is no longer in the PNR.

What do I do other than going back to YYZ in the morning?

Thanks.
Take your time, roll into the airport at noon.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
The SE concierge # and SE reservation desk have both had 30-50min holds for me if I call in at off-peak hours of 3-6AM EST.

Daytime they seem to have enough staff... mostly because of all the new $17/hr "concierges".
Wow, that's almost twice as much as some of the software developers Boeing outsourced to got.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-28/boeing-s-737-max-software-outsourced-to-9-an-hour-engineers
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I still prefer the DL system:

1. Dial standard 1-800 number
2. 25 seconds later - "Good evening Mr. Hamer. Are you calling about your flight on Wednesday? Press 1 for yes..."
You expect AC to recognize your phone number when you call them and direct you to the right place, like every other airline?
Cmon Mr. Hamer!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I still prefer the DL system:

1. Dial standard 1-800 number
2. 25 seconds later - "Good evening Mr. Hamer. Are you calling about your flight on Wednesday? Press 1 for yes..."

Air Canada blamed Nortel for changes to their upgrade program way back when. I'm surpised they are not blaming Nortel for call wait times now.
The odds of AC being able to do this are about the same odds of someone collecting a $10,000 MCO from BA.
Oh, wait a minute...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Called the SE line twice within half an hour and got through right away.

Called the concierge line and it was answered right away.

All THREE times i spoke with the agent, i was speaking with new kids and no help was available, but they answered.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:38 pm

Data point: About a 30min wait on the E50K line right now.

When I called WS Gold line last week, they picked up straight away.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
30 minutes wait for E50 earlier this week. Crazy!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:56 am

"Normal" AC reservations line is currently rejecting calls due to "circumstances out of their control".

Question: if I'm contemplating changes to an international itinerary is there any way to "preview' the charges online? i.e. check the fare difference for new date/route (if any) in addition to the applicable change fee.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yowspotter
"Normal" AC reservations line is currently rejecting calls due to "circumstances out of their control".

Question: if I'm contemplating changes to an international itinerary is there any way to "preview' the charges online? i.e. check the fare difference for new date/route (if any) in addition to the applicable change fee.
If the booking was made on AC.com, you can pull it up and go through the "change" option. Not only has it shown accurate charges, but it actually works fairly well. Only one of my last ~5 changes has required calling in.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 am

Thank you. Is it safely a "no purchase required" process? i.e. Can I go "to the end" to preview the charges and cancel out without any risk/change to my existing itinerary if I don't like it?

If so I'll try it out.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
You expect AC to recognize your phone number when you call them and direct you to the right place, like every other airline?
Cmon Mr. Hamer!
Concierge system currently uses caller ID. Not every agent uses it (!!!) but it is there.
vernonc likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Thank you. Is it safely a "no purchase required" process? i.e. Can I go "to the end" to preview the charges and cancel out without any risk/change to my existing itinerary if I don't like it?

If so I'll try it out.
Yes - Air Canada does not store your payment information on the website so you would have to provide it again to make a change. Just keep clicking through to the payment screen - there is no risk at all here.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

If so I'll try it out.
Yes. I actually did it just yesterday to figure out what the change fee was on my ticket, which required me to get all the way to the final screen. Completely safe. It even retains any discounts that were applied.

Originally Posted by ridefar
Concierge system currently uses caller ID. Not every agent uses it (!!!) but it is there.
I think res has the same access, but they tend to use it even less because there's a significantly lower probability of anything useful coming from it on that line than the concierge line (where everyone has an Aeroplan account).

That being said, the fact that it's a manual process to pull up any information is a bigger issue.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AC MM+
Made calls yesterday and today. SE line and answered right away. On both occasions, the agents were somewhere between useless and totally useless. Did not know the basics..... HUCA and dialled the concierge desk, got through in less than a minutes and both issues solved immediately.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mamau
Made calls yesterday and today. SE line and answered right away. On both occasions, the agents were somewhere between useless and totally useless. Did not know the basics..... HUCA and dialled the concierge desk, got through in less than a minutes and both issues solved immediately.
Unless something has changed, I believe the SE line goes to the regular call center, you just jump to the front of the line. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
So you are not likely to get any more knowledgeable agents on the SE line. I have had the SE desk tell me to call the Concierge line for a request and the Concierge line tell me that I should call the SE desk unless within 24 hrs of my flight since they are very busy.
Calling the SE line for upfare also has the same issue as mentioned in the Upfare thread - some agents know what to do, some want to charge a change fee and some say its not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.