Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Just to report back my experience. I was able to convince the check-in agent at DBV to tag my bags to HER from DBV even though I was traveling on two separate PNRs. Flight-wise, this was a close one! Flight from DBV-ATH was delayed by almost 2.5 hrs due to a late inbound aircraft. I knew I was going to miss my connection at ATH but the ATH-HER flight got delayed as well which allowed a 30 minute connection. I knew this was going to be a rough one especially since the flight from DBV parked at a remote gate and I would have to clear passport control then run to the other side of the airport. Surprisingly, I made the flight after running across the airport with an airline employee.

What's funny is that I received a paper for a free domestic flight due to a delay on the ATH-HER flight. However, I didn't receive one from my flight from DBV-ATH which would've been more useful.
The most amazing part of this is that your checked bag made it: unbeleivable!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
On the A320-200 I prefer row 2 and 5 for that. Row 4 is ok, but not as good.

/edit: Let us know about your choice and experience later on!
Eventually I had 1D in my HEL-ATH flight because it was the only one available when I checked in. Well I might not have had a window but 1D was nice as I could spread my legs next to the bulkhead. The flight was in one of the newer A320s with the sharklets. The inflight meal was great.
I had a regional connection on a A321 and there I was sitting in 2F. In that plane row 1 was the one that I describe as aligned, not that I cared in such a short flight though. Legroom seemed very good! I think the previews A320 didn't have the same legroom in row 2 as the A321.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: A3
Hello everyone.

I need two more A3 flights to qualify for gold (yay!)

When I come back from SFO to TLL this summer I was thinking of taking a cheap flight to Europe (Norwegian, Level,WOW etc), and then A3 through ATH to TLL. On A3's website, they offer flights to Tallinn on AirBaltic via Riga, but with an A3 flight ticket.

Surely you have to fly on Aegean metal no? Or can this also count as one of the 4 flight segments you need to qualify? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by jacobsteuer1
Hello everyone.

I need two more A3 flights to qualify for gold (yay!)

When I come back from SFO to TLL this summer I was thinking of taking a cheap flight to Europe (Norwegian, Level,WOW etc), and then A3 through ATH to TLL. On A3's website, they offer flights to Tallinn on AirBaltic via Riga, but with an A3 flight ticket.

Surely you have to fly on Aegean metal no? Or can this also count as one of the 4 flight segments you need to qualify? Thanks.
You're right - it has to be an actual Aegean flight - A3 metal. There are direct A3 flights ATH-TLL in the summer, but only on Friday evenings.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: *G (Aegean); AF/KL Silver; BA Bronze; Amex Platinum, Priority Pass.
Hi. Relatively new to this site and still trying to find my feet. I've just hit M&B Gold and am looking to do a little bit of redemption. Interested in flying from Tokyo to Hong Kong or Macau with Air China, preferably with enough time on the stopover to spend a few hours exploring Beijing. Can someone point me in the direction of posts relating to redemption with CA? I plan to call Aegean in the next few days to make the booking, but would like to do a bit of background research to make sure that I get what I want ticketed properly. I've read the wiki on redemptions, with is super useful for anticipating fuel surcharges and taxes etc (thank you all who have contributed to it!). As such, I'm trying to find specific experiences that others might have had in the past. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:54 am

I can't find any post related to a transit in Athens airport, so here is my question:

My friend (Turkish Passport) is travelling IST-ATH-MAN in one ticket with Aegean, but all the information we are finding about transfering in Athenes is really confusing. Normally in others airports in Europe she just go through security screening and gets directed to the Non-Schengen area to take the next flight. But according to the Athens Airport website and also the Aegean Call Centre in UK there is passport control in Athens and she needs either a 'transit' visa or a valid Schengen visa.

Is this true? Because if it is, is a massive pain in the a** for her
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:54 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
I can't find any post related to a transit in Athens airport, so here is my question:

My friend (Turkish Passport) is travelling IST-ATH-MAN in one ticket with Aegean, but all the information we are finding about transfering in Athenes is really confusing. Normally in others airports in Europe she just go through security screening and gets directed to the Non-Schengen area to take the next flight. But according to the Athens Airport website and also the Aegean Call Centre in UK there is passport control in Athens and she needs either a 'transit' visa or a valid Schengen visa.

Yes, there is certainly passport control for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfers - that's because of the layout of ATH airport, nothing to do with A3.

Timatic appear to confirm the need for Visas for both Greece (Schengen) and the UK.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog

I have never used it, but there is a transfer desk on the left as you enter the arrivals area (or come down the stairs if arriving at an air bridge). It is usually unstaffed but I have occasionally seen a member of staff there. It appears to lead through to an escalator heading up to non-Schngen departures.

Maybe a call to the airport information line, rather than the airline would be more useful. There must be MANY people coming in, on Turkish and others, who transfer directly out of Schengen. You can't be the only person who's ever had this issue and it would be crazy to need a visa just to transit.

The airport web page gives a call centre number - (+30) 210 35 30 000

Also, I found this previous thread (from four years ago) asking the same question:

Athens airport transit question(s)

One poster intimates that it should be possible to transit without entering Greece but the OP never confirms what actually happened. Maybe you could contact that person.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I have never used it, but there is a transfer desk on the left as you enter the arrivals area (or come down the stairs if arriving at an air bridge). It is usually unstaffed but I have occasionally seen a member of staff there. It appears to lead through to an escalator heading up to non-Schngen departures.
I have used it, there is passport control followed by security screening and then you do end up in the non-Schengen departures (A) area. The security staff there appear to take their jobs too seriously, unlike the regular screening you would go through if departing from Athens. Unless my flight is already boarding when I get to the arrivals area, I would prefer going through passport control twice and walking through the baggage reclaim and upstairs again, than using this "transfer" facility.

I don't understand why the passport control step is needed, since you can't get into Greece that way.

Obviously if it's unstaffed and you are unable to get it staffed, then you have to enter Schengen via the normal route, so perhaps this is why a visa may be required.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Yes, there is certainly passport control for non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfers - that's because of the layout of ATH airport, nothing to do with A3.

Timatic appear to confirm the need for Visas for both Greece (Schengen) and the UK.

Maybe a call to the airport information line, rather than the airline would be more useful. There must be MANY people coming in, on Turkish and others, who transfer directly out of Schengen. You can't be the only person who's ever had this issue and it would be crazy to need a visa just to transit.

The airport web page gives a call centre number - (+30) 210 35 30 000

Also, I found this previous thread (from four years ago) asking the same question:

Athens airport transit question(s)

One poster intimates that it should be possible to transit without entering Greece but the OP never confirms what actually happened. Maybe you could contact that person.
Originally Posted by :D!
I have used it, there is passport control followed by security screening and then you do end up in the non-Schengen departures (A) area. The security staff there appear to take their jobs too seriously, unlike the regular screening you would go through if departing from Athens. Unless my flight is already boarding when I get to the arrivals area, I would prefer going through passport control twice and walking through the baggage reclaim and upstairs again, than using this "transfer" facility.

I don't understand why the passport control step is needed, since you can't get into Greece that way.

Obviously if it's unstaffed and you are unable to get it staffed, then you have to enter Schengen via the normal route, so perhaps this is why a visa may be required.
Thank you very much for replying so quickly

I am trying to contact ATH to see if they know more, for the moment they have ignored me in twitter. I've also wrote to the Embassy of Greece in the UK (as suggested by Aegean rep).

@NWIFlyer:

My search in various places provides more conflicting information:

Traveldoc (https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero)
Istanbul Ataturk Airport (IST) - Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - (Connecting Flight) 16 Aug 2017
*Visa is not required for transit through Greece.
*Non-biometric passports are not accepted for travel to Greece.

Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (ATH) - Manchester Airport (MAN) 16 Aug 2017
*Visa has been confirmed for United Kingdom (UK).

From the Emirates Visa & Passport Information:
Destination - United Kingdom (GB)
Visa - Visa required.

Transit - Greece (GR)
Visa - Visa required. TWOV (Transit Without Visa): Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.

From the Timatic of Olympic Air (which I hope is gonna be accurate)
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:31 am

...and it would be crazy to need a visa just to transit...
Ever needed to transit through the US?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: oneworld emerald
Hello,

I have heard that now you cannot go straight from a new member Blue to Gold with 48,000 tier miles (any airline) in one go, is that true?

What I heard is that you can only go from Blue to Silver with 24,000 tier miles (any airline), then your tier miles are reset to zero, so to get to gold you will need another 48,000 tier miles (any airline)?

I am thinking joining the Aegean club but if that's the case it would actually take longer for me to get to the top tier than with other clubs in SA.

If someone can kindly confirm, it would be much appreciated. Best.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:46 am

That is true. Blue -> Silver -> Reset (allthough any miles you earned on top of the silver qualifiction with the last flight will Count towards Gold) -> Gold
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: oneworld emerald
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cide
That is true. Blue -> Silver -> Reset (allthough any miles you earned on top of the silver qualifiction with the last flight will Count towards Gold) -> Gold
Thanks Cide for the confirmation.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Anyone knows if aegean allows miles&bonus gold to bring a guest in the gold track security/fast track in various airports(e.g LHR, ATH, SKG etc) when travelling economy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.