Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:48 am

Hi all,

My upcoming trip on A3 involves a connection at ATH. I will be arriving from IST (non-schengen) and departing for Amman (non-schengen). A3 website states that there will be passport control for this type of itinerary.

I've done similar non-schengen to non-schengen transits at FRA, CDG, ZRH, MXP, and a handful other Schengen airports without having to go through passport control (taking advantage of TWOV). Is TWOV allowed at ATH?

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:49 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by angf1
I'm soon flying business in one of Aegean's A320s. Does anybody remember if it is usually row 1 or 2 with an aligned window?
Thanks!
Unless there is a rare configuration I haven't seen yet, there are no misaligned or missing windows in the first few rows on A3 aircraft. You should be perfectly safe choosing either row.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:09 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdub9531
Hi all,

My upcoming trip on A3 involves a connection at ATH. I will be arriving from IST (non-schengen) and departing for Amman (non-schengen). A3 website states that there will be passport control for this type of itinerary.

I've done similar non-schengen to non-schengen transits at FRA, CDG, ZRH, MXP, and a handful other Schengen airports without having to go through passport control (taking advantage of TWOV). Is TWOV allowed at ATH?

Thanks!

ATH airport is configured such that passengers from all flights, irrespective of origin, end up in the common arrivals area. You will clear customs, go through passport control and proceed to the departures area. Customs is a non-event in Europe these days, and I've rarely seen any sort of queue at immigration.

TWOV is possible in ATH, but you should check your eligibility using Timatic.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Unless there is a rare configuration I haven't seen yet, there are no misaligned or missing windows in the first few rows on A3 aircraft. You should be perfectly safe choosing either row.
By misalignment I don't refer to complete misalignment but slight where in every two seats you don't have the window next to your face but you have to lean a bit frontwards or backwards. This is common in most airlines' a320 series or 737 configurations.
I believe that in the usual Aegean configuration it goes like 1.Aligned 2. Misaligned 3. Aligned .... etc. or the opposite. I can't really remember, maybe I have seen both.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:32 am
Community Director
Original Poster

By misalignment I don't refer to complete misalignment but slight where in every two seats you don't have the window next to your face but you have to lean a bit frontwards or backwards. This is common in most airlines' a320 series or 737 configurations.
I believe that in the usual Aegean configuration it goes like 1.Aligned 2. Misaligned 3. Aligned .... etc. or the opposite. I can't really remember, maybe I have seen both.
There are several different configurations of aircraft, including a few with no bulkhead directly in front of 1A/C which likely means the seats are positioned slightly differently, so it is probably impossible to give a definitive answer - however, nothing is so grossly misaligned that viewing out requires a contortionist!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
I believe both rows are fine. In row 1 there's a window right next to you, then there's a window right at the edge of your seat (i.e. between the two rows), and another window next to row 2.

I've flown both rows, and I don't remember having to lean forward in any case.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: A3 *G
There are quite some good photos available to search for such as these:

http://money-tourism.gr/wp-content/u...n_business.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wllcNfZ9UzI/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.aviationguru.com/wp-conte...8/P1030103.jpg

You can see the fist few rows clearly. To be honest, it makes little difference as there is enough seat-pitch up front that you always get at least a whole window. I must admit I usually go for row 3 if 1 isn't available. I like having a place to lean my head to nap and yet not really having to lean far to see out of the window (row 2 has the window directly next to your head, which I find better if I'm in the mood for some inflight photography or filming the takeoff/landing but not so good for sleeping). It all depends what you want really...

I guess, as already said, some configurations are different, but those photos are exactly what I have experienced on all the flights I can remember.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3*G
By misalignment I don't refer to complete misalignment but slight where in every two seats you don't have the window next to your face but you have to lean a bit frontwards or backwards....
On the A320-200 I prefer row 2 and 5 for that. Row 4 is ok, but not as good.

/edit: Let us know about your choice and experience later on!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
There are several different configurations of aircraft, including a few with no bulkhead directly in front of 1A/C which likely means the seats are positioned slightly differently, so it is probably impossible to give a definitive answer - however, nothing is so grossly misaligned that viewing out requires a contortionist!
Let's make this even more complicated: there are still a few planes left that have the original, much more comfortable seats. Given that, keeping the same pitch as with the new seats, their backs are a couple of centimetres wider, the alignment to the window is certainly different from what the pictures provided (new seats) show.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:05 am

Thanks a lot guys for all the responses for a slightly silly question.
@Knobbgb , hah, yeah I am a bit picky and that's exactly what I am also usually doing depending on whether I want to sleep or just stay awake and enjoy the view. In this case I was looking something like the row 2 situation that you described. But as others noted the configuration in A3 varies and that's what I also thought from the beginning. In some airlines like Finnair it's usually fixed so I know what to expect . But it's no big deal, I'll probably get row 2, but it doesn't matter that much as long as it is a window seat.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:06 am

Thanks a lot guys for all the responses for a slightly silly question.
@Knobbgb , hah, yeah I am a bit picky and that's exactly what I am also usually doing depending on whether I want to sleep or just stay awake and enjoy the view. In this case I was looking something like the row 2 situation that you described. But as others noted the configuration in A3 varies and that's what I also thought from the beginning. In some airlines like Finnair it's usually fixed so I know what to expect . But it's no big deal, I'll probably get row 2, but it doesn't matter that much as long as it is a window seat.
Here's the first lesson one should learn when deciding to go to Greece: the most preditable thing with Greeks and Greece is unpredictability!

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 15, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:26 pm

LCA Transit

Was wondering if anyone had a recent experience with transiting in LCA (inbound from DOH on QR and outbound to another non-schengen destination).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyfly View Post
Can someone advise me on the minium connecting time in ATH?

I'm looking at two A3 flights, TLV-ATH scheduled to arrive at 7:50 and ATH-CPH scheduled to depart at 8:30.

It can't be booked through A3 website, so this might be self-explanatory, but still wanted to double check: Is 40 minutes to connect not enough to if I travel with hand luggage only? I know it's tight and I come from outside of schengen, but is it not possible to do?

Thanks
Don't ignore that even when the plane reaches the gate, you still need a jetbridge, the ability to get off the plane very quickly (if you're not in J add a few more minutes), and get to your next gate before it closes, so in reality you only really have about 20 minutes, even if on time, so 40 minutes on separate tickets is definitely not enough. You could run everywhere, hope for no queues at immigration and security, and just about make it before they closed the gate, but it's far, far more likely the second flight will be toast - I'd say a 90%+ possibility. This is not an itinerary I would ever consider.

If everything works well you'd need an hour, on separate tickets I'd be allowing at least two, probably more given the financial consequences of having to pay for a last minute CPH flight - you're not dealing with a low cost trip domestic trip with many flights per day so the risk is exponentially higher.

A quick update on the above. Just made a new search and A3 have changed their schedule adding 10 minutes to the connection time: Arrival time has changed from 7:50 to 7:40 meaning a 50 minute connection in ATH. Flight is now offered for sale through A3 website, so now I guess A3 will fix a new ticket if TLV-ATH is too late on arrival to catch ATH-CPH.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by groovyfly
...A quick update on the above. Just made a new search and A3 have changed their schedule adding 10 minutes to the connection time: Arrival time has changed from 7:50 to 7:40 meaning a 50 minute connection in ATH. Flight is now offered for sale through A3 website, so now I guess A3 will fix a new ticket if TLV-ATH is too late on arrival to catch ATH-CPH.
Given the protection you'd now have, I would risk it. It will, most probably, be fine but even if not, no big problem, you can have the souvlaki mentioned in a different thread for an early lunch.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Before I posted this I read a few older posts and think I should be fine. However, I just want to ask again just to make sure.

I'm flying DBV-ATH/ATH-HER on two separate PNRs with A3/OA with a 1.5 hr connection. I purchased it as two separate GoLight fares since the price difference was quite substantial compared to booking it as one PNR. If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?

Thanks!
Just to report back my experience. I was able to convince the check-in agent at DBV to tag my bags to HER from DBV even though I was traveling on two separate PNRs. Flight-wise, this was a close one! Flight from DBV-ATH was delayed by almost 2.5 hrs due to a late inbound aircraft. I knew I was going to miss my connection at ATH but the ATH-HER flight got delayed as well which allowed a 30 minute connection. I knew this was going to be a rough one especially since the flight from DBV parked at a remote gate and I would have to clear passport control then run to the other side of the airport. Surprisingly, I made the flight after running across the airport with an airline employee.

What's funny is that I received a paper for a free domestic flight due to a delay on the ATH-HER flight. However, I didn't receive one from my flight from DBV-ATH which would've been more useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.