Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:02 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Okay friends. So here is my deal. I'm crediting my miles to A3 through some family/affiliate flights should make *G shortly. So here is my noob question. I should have a lot of A3 miles soon. Can I transfer then to anyone? SPG? Or do I need to redeem them with A3? Thanks in advance.
There are no transfer opportunities - redemption needs to be with M+B partners, which will mostly be *A airlines, but also includes a few hotels (not SPG) and Hertz. It depends what "a lot" is, but best value is usually Business Class flights.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
...however there are quite some spg properties included for redemption (in Greece of course):

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...rts-worldwide/
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:18 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xandrios
...however there are quite some spg properties included for redemption (in Greece of course):

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...rts-worldwide/

Yes, thank you, I'd overlooked that fairly recent addition to the partner list. I'm not particularly familiar with the SPG scheme, but I'd guess it's better to redeem through that than A3, particularly given most airline schemes are geared towards flight redemptions for people with a large number of miles.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 4, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
There are no transfer opportunities - redemption needs to be with M+B partners, which will mostly be *A airlines, but also includes a few hotels (not SPG) and Hertz. It depends what "a lot" is, but best value is usually Business Class flights.
Thanks. 100k but will accrue at least 100k more(a few F east coast to HI) in the next few months that I could credit if I wanted otherwise I'd probably prefer JebBlueHawiian. I don't plan on getting back to Europe anytime soon or really any international within the next year but when I do I try and F/J the whole family. I was really hoping I could transfer to SPG since you can transfer in.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:34 pm

We (4 adults) are arriving LAX-YUL-ATH at 10:30 a.m. on 9/27 and catching a flight to Santorini the same day. I was planning to book a 2:00 p.m. Sky Express flight, but am super paranoid now after reading the recent reviews on Tripadvisor, almost all of which are bad. I know this is the A3 forum, but just wondering if anyone has recent experience flying on Sky Express?

Alternatively, there are A3 flights at 11:45 a.m. and 3:40 p.m. I really don't want to wait at the airport for 4+ hours for the 3:40 p.m. flight, but I'm guessing that we wouldn't be able to make the 11:45 flight (1 hr 15 min connection) if we need to collect our luggage, clear customs, etc.? Just wanted to get your advice and if we happen to make it, would it be easy to change to the 11:45 flight if there are seats available?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:04 pm

Indeed, there is a lot of very, very bad reviews for Sky Express in TripAdvisor, they all seem to refer to a series of delays and cancellations due to high winds in Santorini last month. They were handled in an unprofessional way due to a bad CS situation at ATH (and, most probably in Santorini as well) due to the fact that the airline uses a handling agent who may not have been contracted for help in such cases (): typical Greek, in the sense that we tend to never think of unusual circumstances ahead of time. At any rate, I am certainly not going to defend them, if they do this often they'll be out of business pretty soon. The bulk of this small airline's business is flying government-susidized flights between smaller airports and I guess that the ATH-JTR ones are flown in between those.

Now to your situation: 75 minutes is OK, provided your incoming flight is on time. But with only a 30 min. delay on a TATL will make you miss the flight, and since this will be on a different ticket, this will be cancelled and you'll be stuck in Athens. Also, forget about changing the flight from 3:40 to 11:45 at the last moment. It may be theoretically possible after paying a substantial surcharge, given that the flights to JTR are expensive and often overbooked during the summer months. So 4 adults? No way! In your place I would definitely take the longer wait possibility and fly A3/OA.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by lileor
We (4 adults) are arriving LAX-YUL-ATH at 10:30 a.m. on 9/27 and catching a flight to Santorini the same day. I was planning to book a 2:00 p.m. Sky Express flight, but am super paranoid now after reading the recent reviews on Tripadvisor, almost all of which are bad. I know this is the A3 forum, but just wondering if anyone has recent experience flying on Sky Express?

Alternatively, there are A3 flights at 11:45 a.m. and 3:40 p.m. I really don't want to wait at the airport for 4+ hours for the 3:40 p.m. flight, but I'm guessing that we wouldn't be able to make the 11:45 flight (1 hr 15 min connection) if we need to collect our luggage, clear customs, etc.? Just wanted to get your advice and if we happen to make it, would it be easy to change to the 11:45 flight if there are seats available?

Thanks!
Aside from the obvious bad press mentioned, the actual flying experience with Sky Express is just fine - really no different from Olympic. They use all ATR's. Not new - all between 19 and 29 years old. the one I flew on recently was very clean and tidy as if it had been given a new interior fairly recently. The service was fine for just a 40 minute hop. I live at the end of an island airport and I see them fly in and out every day and they're pretty much always on time. I don't know if you have any status or not, but be aware that if you are *A Gold you CANNOT use the lounge at ATH for the Olympic flight (unless you are actually A3/OA Gold of course). The flights ATH-JTR are operated by Olympic NOT Aegean (although they are flown with an A3 aircraft).

One positive point you may not be aware of is that all Sky Express pax. departing ATH CAN use a lounge. OK, it's not up to the standard of some - pretty basic with not many facilities, but after a long journey you may be glad of somewhere quiet to relax and have a drink.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
One positive point you may not be aware of is that all Sky Express pax. departing ATH CAN use a lounge. OK, it's not up to the standard of some - pretty basic with not many facilities, but after a long journey you may be glad of somewhere quiet to relax and have a drink.
I learned something new today!

Out of curiosity, which lounge do they use? Melina Mercouri?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Indeed, there is a lot of very, very bad reviews for Sky Express in TripAdvisor, they all seem to refer to a series of delays and cancellations due to high winds in Santorini last month. They were handled in an unprofessional way due to a bad CS situation at ATH (and, most probably in Santorini as well) due to the fact that the airline uses a handling agent who may not have been contracted for help in such cases (): typical Greek, in the sense that we tend to never think of unusual circumstances ahead of time. At any rate, I am certainly not going to defend them, if they do this often they'll be out of business pretty soon. The bulk of this small airline's business is flying government-susidized flights between smaller airports and I guess that the ATH-JTR ones are flown in between those.

Now to your situation: 75 minutes is OK, provided your incoming flight is on time. But with only a 30 min. delay on a TATL will make you miss the flight, and since this will be on a different ticket, this will be cancelled and you'll be stuck in Athens. Also, forget about changing the flight from 3:40 to 11:45 at the last moment. It may be theoretically possible after paying a substantial surcharge, given that the flights to JTR are expensive and often overbooked during the summer months. So 4 adults? No way! In your place I would definitely take the longer wait possibility and fly A3/OA.
Thanks for the insight re: the Sky Express reviews and their operations. It seems that they fly many domestic routes and I was surprised to read about the CS and how the delays/cancellations were handled. Also appreciate also your feedback re: the A3/OA flights.

I'm leaning towards booking the 3:45 p.m. flight on A3/OA and dealing with the 5-hour layover with a leisurely lunch at the Sofitel.

Last edited by lileor; Jun 6, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Aside from the obvious bad press mentioned, the actual flying experience with Sky Express is just fine - really no different from Olympic. They use all ATR's. Not new - all between 19 and 29 years old. the one I flew on recently was very clean and tidy as if it had been given a new interior fairly recently. The service was fine for just a 40 minute hop. I live at the end of an island airport and I see them fly in and out every day and they're pretty much always on time. I don't know if you have any status or not, but be aware that if you are *A Gold you CANNOT use the lounge at ATH for the Olympic flight (unless you are actually A3/OA Gold of course). The flights ATH-JTR are operated by Olympic NOT Aegean (although they are flown with an A3 aircraft).

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I did check the recent flight stats this morning for the ATH-JTR route and some other routes (within the last week) and they do appear to mostly land on time or maybe 10-15 minutes late.

Yes, I had read on the Sky Express website that their passengers can use the Melina Merkouri Lounge, which I thought was a nice perk.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Aegean Gold
Can I receive M&M miles for an LH flight that was registered with M+B before

Hey, I've flown several LH flights in booking classes that earn nothing on M+B. However, I added the M+B account to benefit from my A3 *G status during my flights (lounges, extra luggage). But I received no miles for the flights.

Can ​​​​I retroactively claim the miles for these flights with M&M since I didn't receive any miles on the M+B account? I suspect not. I suspect this is cheating, but I want to make sure before I bury this idea.

Not ​​​​sure if I should post here or on the M&M page. Sorry about that. I try here. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Originally Posted by rava.stuff
Hey, I've flown several LH flights in booking classes that earn nothing on M+B. However, I added the M+B account to benefit from my A3 *G status during my flights (lounges, extra luggage). But I received no miles for the flights.

Can ​​​​I retroactively claim the miles for these flights with M&M since I didn't receive any miles on the M+B account? I suspect not. I suspect this is cheating, but I want to make sure before I bury this idea.

Not ​​​​sure if I should post here or on the M&M page. Sorry about that. I try here. Thanks!
Yes, you can retrocredit to M&M even if you had M&B number on the BP. Works for me every time.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by palcsaky
Yes, you can retrocredit to M&M even if you had M&B number on the BP. Works for me every time.
I haven't done it myself yet, but a friend of mine told me that a retrocredit is possible, when you don't earn miles because of a non-earning booking class.
I will do that next time as well.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by rava.stuff

Yes, I do that too - although not to M&M but to ANAs program. It works fine.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:15 am

I'm soon flying business in one of Aegean's A320s. Does anybody remember if it is usually row 1 or 2 with an aligned window?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.