Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
A couple of years ago I remember it was possible to change the FF number on a booking online, right up to just before boarding.
Is this still possible ?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:49 am

I just got an e-mail from Aegean that my (direct) flight from Dusseldorf to Athens (even though it's supposed to be in more than 2 months from today) got canceled. I had purchased a flex fare and upgraded with voucher.
What is the best course of action? I do want to fly of course. On the same date there's availability via Thessaloniki and on pretty much every other day Aegean still offers direct flights.
My question has mainly to do with what would be (if there would be) the best way to make the most out of this. For example, if I get re-booked because of this involuntary cancelation will they book me directly in business class without applying the vouchers? (that way I'd also get more miles)
If I take the via SKG routing do I get the miles for both segments (and also 2 segments instead of just 1 for renewing the status)? I would hope that they won't need to find award space again to rebook me, since it's "their fault", right? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some data points.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
...{snip}... For example, if I get re-booked because of this involuntary cancelation will they book me directly in business class without applying the vouchers? (that way I'd also get more miles)
Certainly don't count on that!
If I take the via SKG routing do I get the miles for both segments (and also 2 segments instead of just 1 for renewing the status)?
Here I can bring you good news, it's YES to everything you asked!
I would hope that they won't need to find award space again to rebook me, since it's "their fault", right? Many thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some data points.
Back to "bad news". You simply don't know what the reason for the cancellation is and, therefore, you can't talk about their fault.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
... Back to "bad news". You simply don't know what the reason for the cancellation is and, therefore, you can't talk about their fault.
​​​​​​Thanks for the response. It's the only canceled flight in 90 days that I checked and it's 2 months out, so whose fault is it? It's not like the government forbid them to fly! They wrote in the email something like "due to the changing variables because of the pandemic etc. etc. we are forced to adapt our schedule", but anyway, regardless of that it's still the airline's responsibility to offer me an alternative to the same destination and booking class and by booking class I mean the one after the upgrade (or not?). My understanding is that simply my compensation rights according to EU 261 are waived, and thankfully in this case I am not going to see a monetary loss (haven't booked any hotel or train tickets etc. yet), but the rights to basically get what I paid for one way or another are still valid.
My question had more to do with how Aegean treats involuntary changes of upgraded tickets. Any hard data points on that?
I already tried calling because of an award ticket cancelation (again, from the operatin airline) but the line cuts off after 10-15min waiting time. I am worried that if I don't have my facts ready and my case made, I would be looking at a great loss of time until finally dealing with this situation.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
​​​​​​Thanks for the response. It's the only canceled flight in 90 days that I checked and it's 2 months out, so whose fault is it? It's not like the government forbid them to fly! They wrote in the email something like "due to the changing variables because of the pandemic etc. etc. we are forced to adapt our schedule", but anyway, regardless of that it's still the airline's responsibility to offer me an alternative to the same destination and booking class and by booking class I mean the one after the upgrade (or not?). My understanding is that simply my compensation rights according to EU 261 are waived, and thankfully in this case I am not going to see a monetary loss (haven't booked any hotel or train tickets etc. yet), but the rights to basically get what I paid for one way or another are still valid.
My question had more to do with how Aegean treats involuntary changes of upgraded tickets. Any hard data points on that?
I already tried calling because of an award ticket cancelation (again, from the operatin airline) but the line cuts off after 10-15min waiting time. I am worried that if I don't have my facts ready and my case made, I would be looking at a great loss of time until finally dealing with this situation.
From my experience, you can choose any date (or A3/OA connection for the route) you want, but they will only be able to book a seat in Business Class if there is award availability. They will offer to put you on the waiting list, but of course that guarantees nothing.

As the flight was paid for economy, even if you upgrade with a voucher, they have no obligation to rebook you in Business because the upgrade was complimentary and not paid for.
asf99, romans and giorginho like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
PLF form in transit

Got hold of Aegean on the phone - not an easy task.... and they did not want to give out this information about transit through Greece (??).
Does anyone know if you need the Greek PLF form filled in if you're going to be in Greece in transit only ? (ie airside)

Last edited by dand99; Jul 5, 2021 at 1:21 am
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:46 am

I really can't answer your question but, anyway, you loose nothing by filling it: it's easy and free, and just in case something goes wrong it may be useful...
cad-spe likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Silver to Gold

Hello all, kindly asking for help to clarify the not-so-straightforward wording of Miles+Bonus.

I have been sloppy and not done my homework, so I was first thinking that my 24.416 Tier Miles collected in May plus 4 segments that I flew late June will get me Gold. After reading through here, I understand why now, need 36.000 in total.

However, I am still struggling to understand how many more Tier Miles, Aegean segments and which time frame I need to collect in order to upgrade to gold.

Timeline was:

1. May 21 - 24.416 Tier Miles collected, card upgraded to Silver

2. June 21 – 2.110 Tier Miles collected, 4 segments on A3

3. Trip with additional 24.416 Tier Miles planned for Nov 21

I would think that now I have 12 months from day the card upgraded to Silver to collect 24.000 Tier Miles and 4 Segments to upgrade to Gold, however, my account says:

To maintain my tier, I still need: Up to 05/2022 - 3,574 Tier mile

How to upgrade my tier. Until 09/2021 - 13,574 Tier miles (09 is anniversary month).

Does it mean that if I do not collect those 13,574 Tier miles by September, I am back to zero for Gold?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:12 am

honzeek_cz if you just got upgraded to silver in May, why would you have any other kind of anniversary month (September)? It should have automatically switched to May.
Something is up here!! I also used to see in my account, that I had until October 20th to requalify for silver and until October 21st to get upgraded to gold, suddenly now I see that I only have until September 29th to be upgraded to gold and the silver renewal remains October 20th (this could be related to the "cut-off" date for free gold renewals, which is on the 29th of September as well, but why did this happen just now and what does that have to do with my account?).

Edit: OR... it could have something to do with the promotion they started last September, according to which you need 25% less status miles to maintain or upgrade your status. If I remember correctly this started mid-September, perhaps one should have booked a ticket until September 29th 2020 to participate? No idea, but I had booked within that time frame and coincidentally I have a flight planned for the 29th of September this year which was supposed to see me requalify.

Last edited by giorginho; Jul 6, 2021 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Thanks for the reply. I call it anniversary because the account was created that month few years back. Other than that, I have no idea. Guess I just have to wait and see. I also wrote to customer support few days ago to clarify the situation, just got bunch of useless links in general response.

honzeek_cz if you just got upgraded to silver in May, why would you have any other kind of anniversary month (September)? It should have automatically switched to May.
Something is up here!! I also used to see in my account, that I had until October 20th to requalify for silver and until October 21st to get upgraded to gold, suddenly now I see that I only have until September 29th to be upgraded to gold and the silver renewal remains October 20th (this could be related to the "cut-off" date for free gold renewals, which is on the 29th of September as well, but why did this happen just now and what does that have to do with my account?).

Edit: OR... it could have something to do with the promotion they started last September, according to which you need 25% less status miles to maintain or upgrade your status. If I remember correctly this started mid-September, perhaps one should have booked a ticket until September 29th 2020 to participate? No idea, but I had booked within that time frame and coincidentally I have a flight planned for the 29th of September this year which was supposed to see me requalify.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Thanks for the reply. I call it anniversary because the account was created that month few years back. Other than that, I have no idea. Guess I just have to wait and see. I also wrote to customer support few days ago to clarify the situation, just got bunch of useless links in general response.
You can also call their CS desk, no way they will then reply with "useless links".
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:31 am

I have an answer for that now, as I called today to make some changes that I needed.
It is what I assumed the 2nd time (that "OR...").
We are seeing the reduced (by 25%) amount of miles required for the qualification/upgrade etc., which is because of an offer Aegean started last September. That offer is due to expire for flights up to September 29th 2021. That's what I was told. My guess is, that after September 29th honzeek_cz will need the same miles he needs now +6000 (because of that promotion it's as if we got 6000 "towards gold" miles credited to us on that date, as if we registered a flight for 6000 minus the segment :P). We actually have incredibly similar requirements, as I also need 3700-something miles for retaining silver and 13700-something for retaining gold. The difference of exactly 10.000 miles between silver and gold requirements is also proof that you are seeing the reduced amount of miles required. Normally, after you have reached silver, you would need 8000 for retaining silver and 24.000 for reaching gold, so that difference is almost always 16.000 and not 10.000, as it is now for both of us (and quite a few others probably :P). So its 13k miles until Sept. 29th or 19k miles until whenever the date you reached silver was + 12 months.
I don't know why Aegean hadn't picked up on this until a few days ago, but anyway, that was that...
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
From my experience, you can choose any date (or A3/OA connection for the route) you want, but they will only be able to book a seat in Business Class if there is award availability. They will offer to put you on the waiting list, but of course that guarantees nothing.

As the flight was paid for economy, even if you upgrade with a voucher, they have no obligation to rebook you in Business because the upgrade was complimentary and not paid for.
and KLouis What headingwest wrote seemed to be a good argument, but here's how it's actually handled:
I was already given this information about 10 days ago when I called about it, but I wanted to wait until I actually asked for my tickets to be rebooked (I was a bit unsure about the exact date that would suit me best, so I just did this a few hours ago): If a flight you have purchased tickets for, that were upgraded using vouchers, gets cancelled, you get rebooked into business class, provided there is availability in business class on the date of your choosing*, there is no need for award (I) availability to get rebooked!
This is exactly how it was described to me 10 days ago (I was still a bit worried it could have been the wrong information on the agent's end) and this is thankfully exactly how they re-booked my tickets today.
The agent didn't issue my tickets directly though, as it was explained to me, this will still means that my vouchers have been applied (and they do still appeared to be "used"), but because they needed to perform some kind of manual booking, to first change the date on those involuntarily canceled tickets/flights and then re-apply the vouchers, even though there was no I availability, they would register this application in the system and it would take some time for it to get processed. Well it took exactly 1,5 hours (so no waitinig list either, I also specifically asked about this and they told me not to worry and that there'd be no waiting list for this rebooking) for a confirmation e-mail to arrive from "RES OFFICE" (I've seen this before, but only when getting some "work" done via one of the telephone agents), confirming my booking for the asked date in business class (it also shows "class I", has the original booking date and shows the originally paid fare in economy class and all the rest of the details, such as "Endorsements: Free seat upgrade" etc.).
So this was pretty much exactly how I thought (and hoped) it would work (having and using a voucher may appear to be "complimentary", but you have had to make some significant expenses to get these vouchers, so it's not exactly "free"), a nice data point for FT (feel free to post this info in the "upgrade voucher" thread if you want) and the only thing I didn't check was what would happen if I would ask to be rebooked on the same date, but, for the lack of the direct flight that got cancelled, via an intermediate, however I had asked about that scenarion during my first call and I was told that it would be possible, but the agent was unsure if they could get both segments to upgrade, since they would only apply one voucher (if I were to do this I wouldn't really mind sitting in economy for the domestic hop, while getting full business class service on the international segment and business baggage allowance for both legs, but then again I didn't attempt this, so it could have had an even happier ending, with upgrades for both segments...). During that first call I also asked "how far ahead can I rebook?" and got a bit of a vague answer, as if the agent wanted to tell me that "it would be easier if I chose a date relatively close to the originally booked date", but she didn't flat out tell me "don't ask to be rebooked after 2 (or X) months" or anything like that.
headingwest likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well I asked about this on Twitter because I have a booking where one of the upgraded flights was cancelled. The reply was:

''if there is availability in the special upgrade fare in the new flight, your upgraded ticket will be transferred to this flight. If there is no availability, it will be changed to Economy class, like the originally issued ticket, and of course the upgrade coupon will not be used.''

So that's clear then!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 3:10 am

Which is exactly why I didn't post what I was told in advance the other day but waited until I had some "hard evidence" ​​​​​​.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.