Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:18 am

Turkish Airlines has been quite annoying with this issue, they've constantly kept raising the fuel surcharges, especially in business class, during the last 2-3 years, to the point where they're now one of the most expensive airlines out there to redeem miles with, while a couple of years ago they were one of the cheapest. The taxes and fees in economy for the same itinerary are less than half of those in business, which considering brasilian law makes no sense. The direct flight from GRU to IST faces the same issue (something like 61€ in economy and 169€ in business) when Lufthansa (mind you, flying via Germany!) has the same fixed price of 41€ for either class (GRU-IST).
This is most likely Turkish somehow slipping those extra surcharges through the redemption network ​​​​​​. (it would be interesting to see what the analysis looks like for this award ticket, the ita matrix shows a YR fee of 320,84€ for the revenue ticket, plus 1-2 more surcharges, which means they add the surcharges Turkish charges for both legs separately at 100%, so actually the award ticket is a but cheaper)
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Is there a way to "manually/deliberately" buy a specific fare class?

Asking because--as many of us know--certain fare classes matched with a "Go Light" fare type are ineligible for upgrade certificates. But since A3's booking-engine presumably defaults to the lowest available fare class for each fare type, a customer is often presented with an ineligible fare class (e.g. U, P, or T) in the "Go Light" category. Rather than buy the next fare type up, "Flex," it occurred to me that it might be possible to still go with a "Go Light" fare, but to buy a different fare class... one that isn't U, P, or T. Maybe by calling in?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 5:21 am

I think I remember people here mentioning that they could get the call center to book them into a specific (more expensive) fare, but if this (still) goes, then you're paying the 20€ fee on top as well.
You can refer to what I wrote in post #2429 (and + - a few), as I had this same "problem" a couple of weeks ago.
However if the only reason for wanting a more expensive ticket is to upgrade by coupon, then it is always worth it to just directly book the flex ticket (the middle option, don't confuse this with the old economy fare types, as you also wrote "go light", which doesn't exist any longer). You get more miles for just a few € and if it's P or U then it's extremely unlikely that it will be worth less than a S "light" ticket (probably the same goes for the T fares on most routes).
If the intention is to upgrade with miles, then it absolutely has to be S or higher, but I've come to the conclusion that the difference between P and S without any promotion running or discount code applying is usually such, that you should probably just book the whole ticket as an award ticket from the beginning (what I don't know is if an award ticket counts as a segment flown for status requalification ​​​​​​).
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:15 am

So I have a few questions regarding Flex Tickets:

When I book a ComfortFlex Ticket there is no fee for a no-show. So if I don't checkin and then don't show up, I effectively just get an open ticket?

When I book a Flex Ticket and later realize I don't want to use it, I can just move it to somewhen far in the future and then move if back to when I need it?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:30 am

I have a question: i have an upgraded (business ticket) ticket that I will fly later this year. Is it possible to select the seat like you would do for example when booking a business class ticket?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Anubis13
I have a question: i have an upgraded (business ticket) ticket that I will fly later this year. Is it possible to select the seat like you would do for example when booking a business class ticket?
Yes. You get all the benefits of having a business class ticket. Only thing that stays from the underlying Economy ticket are the fare rules and millage accumulation.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 9:13 am

And how do I see that from the application? Manage booking does not work in this case.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Anubis13
And how do I see that from the application? Manage booking does not work in this case.
It always does for me. Are you 100% sure the upgrade has fully gone through and the flight has been re-ticketed.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Does an A3 codeshare (e.g. on LH metal) count as a flight for status renewal?

And has anyone seen people being tested when arriving in Greece (ATH) from another Schengen country recently? As was reported on the BA forum they were testing entire planes coming from the UK in July, and on other occasions it was random people selected, but how about Schengen?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Does an A3 codeshare (e.g. on LH metal) count as a flight for status renewal?
No. Only flights operated by Aegean or Olympic count towards the lower qualification/requalification levels.

Can't help with your other question, haven't been outside of the US in almost two years.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
I think I remember people here mentioning that they could get the call center to book them into a specific (more expensive) fare, but if this (still) goes, then you're paying the 20€ fee on top as well.
You can refer to what I wrote in post #2429 (and + - a few), as I had this same "problem" a couple of weeks ago.
However if the only reason for wanting a more expensive ticket is to upgrade by coupon, then it is always worth it to just directly book the flex ticket (the middle option, don't confuse this with the old economy fare types, as you also wrote "go light", which doesn't exist any longer). You get more miles for just a few € and if it's P or U then it's extremely unlikely that it will be worth less than a S "light" ticket (probably the same goes for the T fares on most routes).
If the intention is to upgrade with miles, then it absolutely has to be S or higher, but I've come to the conclusion that the difference between P and S without any promotion running or discount code applying is usually such, that you should probably just book the whole ticket as an award ticket from the beginning (what I don't know is if an award ticket counts as a segment flown for status requalification ​​​​​​).
Thanks for the response! Yes, the goal was to upgrade by coupon. (And indeed, "go light" doesn't exist anymore, my mistake.)

I read/skimmed your posts @ #2429 (plus-minus a few). It sounds like to book a particular fare class, one must either (1) "block seats" on the website in an attempt to coax the booking engine to yield the desired fare class, OR, (2) call in and accept a 20 EUR phone-center fee.

I think, instead, you are recommending that one just buy a higher fare type (e.g. not "Light") rather than deal with the above tedium? Since the fare differential between an (S-class "light" ticket) and a (U-, P- or T-class "comfort" ticket") is presumably negligible. If that's a correct interpretation of your recommendation?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:44 pm

futuramadramallama There are 3 economy class fare types: Light, Flex and Comfort Flex. The U, T and P fare buckets can't be upgraded by coupon when booked as Light fares. The price difference between Light and Flex is almost negligible, given the additional miles Flex offers (for example, it's 12€ for my usual Athens-Dusseldorf flight (less if you apply any discount code) and there are nearly 600 more miles to be had with flex or nearly 700 if you're gold). Comfort flex is much more expensive, grants only a few more miles and if you are going to upgrade anyway, then you need absolutely nothing of what comfort flex has to offer.
So yeah, instead of paying twice for both a more expensive fare and the call center, you can just book the P "flex" fare and this will always be the cheapest option.
(my issue was slightly different, as I needed both an S fare and to book it as a comfort flex in order to get enough miles, in the end I made gold with only around 60 miles to spare ).

Regarding a Schengen covid testing question, my data point is from 5 weeks ago but yes, there were random tests being done at arrivals (not many thought, there were more checks of the plf's and vaccination or test certificates being made ).
futuramadramallama likes this.

Last edited by giorginho; Oct 1, 2021 at 11:50 pm
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:51 am

My Gold Status is valid until 13/04/2022. When I earn my 4 segments and 9000 Miles before that date, I will get requalified until 13/04/2023. When I then earn more segments and miles before 13/04/2022, they will not count towards my 2024 requalification, right?
For the 2024 requalification I probably need to earn after 13/04/2022?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by :D!
And has anyone seen people being tested when arriving in Greece (ATH) from another Schengen country recently? As was reported on the BA forum they were testing entire planes coming from the UK in July, and on other occasions it was random people selected, but how about Schengen?
In August a friend (Italian from Italy, not fully vaccinated at that time) was directed to the testing facilities. He never got a response though (SMS or otherwise), assuming that the tested negative.

Originally Posted by wischi
My Gold Status is valid until 13/04/2022. When I earn my 4 segments and 9000 Miles before that date, I will get requalified until 13/04/2023. When I then earn more segments and miles before 13/04/2022, they will not count towards my 2024 requalification, right?
For the 2024 requalification I probably need to earn after 13/04/2022?
Exactly. There is no "roll-over" possibility, so if you have already qualified, any miles you collect till 13/04/2022, they are only contributing to your award miles.
wischi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
futuramadramallama There are 3 economy class fare types: Light, Flex and Comfort Flex. The U, T and P fare buckets can't be upgraded by coupon when booked as Light fares. The price difference between Light and Flex is almost negligible, given the additional miles Flex offers (for example, it's 12€ for my usual Athens-Dusseldorf flight (less if you apply any discount code) and there are nearly 600 more miles to be had with flex or nearly 700 if you're gold). Comfort flex is much more expensive, grants only a few more miles and if you are going to upgrade anyway, then you need absolutely nothing of what comfort flex has to offer.
So yeah, instead of paying twice for both a more expensive fare and the call center, you can just book the P "flex" fare and this will always be the cheapest option.
Thanks giorginho, I think I did understand you from before, but thanks for the additional clarification/explanation.

Also for some reason, I don't get properly notified of username mentions. Only post quotes.

(my issue was slightly different, as I needed both an S fare and to book it as a comfort flex in order to get enough miles, in the end I made gold with only around 60 miles to spare ).
Congratulations on your shrewd calculations
giorginho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.