Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Thank you, both.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Let me try again. At the Aegean web site, I see business class seats available, for a price that is about $100 (after currency conversion) than I already paid for my economy class seat. Since I have a fully refundable ticket (allegedly), I could have the travel agent cancel my current ticket and book a new ticket. (There might be currency fluctuation issues, since I paid for the current ticket in dollars.) Did that make more sense?
I somehow missed this the first time around, but the point is, I had already covered exactly this scenario in my previous post! The price difference you are seeing is not guaranteed to be the actual difference between your U fare and any business class fare. In fact, I am 99,9% (if it's any "normal" international route then 100,00% sure) that the 100$ are definitely not the correct fare difference between your actual fare (U, probably "light" as far as Aegean's system is concerned and simply hooked up with some OTA's extra services, like baggage and flexibility, that, if I can put it that way, "don't count" when trying to "buy your way up" to business class).
I assume that by saying you were able to access the "manage my booking" section, which as I see now has had (obviously recently) its name changed/reduced to just "my booking", but everybody knows it with the "manage" in front(!), you actually went here...
https://en.aegeanair.com/plan/my-booking/
probably entered HCMFLW and your last name and you were able to see the details you mentioned.
I would certainly enter my own e-mail address, since any change and all notifications (check-in opening etc.) will be sent there.
Now here are some screenshots from the "my booking" section to help you out (yes, it does read "change details", but that's because in any normal case it will be "your" very own details that are listed right above that, or it could also be that the word "your" was also cut out very recently, just like the word "manage" ).

use the "change flights" button if you want to "buy up" to business class

select "change" outbound if it's a one-way or either outbound or inbound if it's a return ticket and you want a specific leg upgraded (or select both, if you want both upgraded). Be sure to leave the date as it was on your original ticket!

verify that your are on the same date and the same flight, otherwise navigate to that date and flight. Select business class to see the fare difference that you will need to pay.

Feel free to browse somewhat further ahead next time, you can go as far as the step where you'll have to enter payment details and still Aegean will not change anything regarding your booked ticket/seat/class/baggage etc. (perhaps only your contact details, if you've already done that on the very first page of "my booking", but if Aegean allows you to change any of those details, you can surely change them back to whatever they were again later)
romans likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by jerry_greece
RE Q4, you actually get access to any *A lounge open in T2. LH, UA, AC and SQ are the options. I actually like the UA a lot (preferred to LH). Haven't been to AC and SQ.
In theory... but I have a friend who was refused by the UA lounge and told he could only use the LH one when 'just' in business class (rightly or wrongly, I don't know). I've never had a problem myself because I'm Gold.

As for which lounge. UA - nice bar where a proper bartender will mix you a cocktail. Great food. Good showers. SQ - amazing food, didn't use the showers, a little quieter with some private corners and better ambient lighting. AC - don't bother - just a typical lounge with average food, fairly small and not particularly comfortable, not terrible though. They're all a 10/15 minute walk from the A3 gates though. LH is right next to the exit from security and two or three minutes to the gate and is fine, although it can get VERY busy at times.
romans likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
In theory... but I have a friend who was refused by the UA lounge and told he could only use the LH one when 'just' in business class (rightly or wrongly, I don't know). I've never had a problem myself because I'm Gold.

As for which lounge. UA - nice bar where a proper bartender will mix you a cocktail. Great food. Good showers. SQ - amazing food, didn't use the showers, a little quieter with some private corners and better ambient lighting. AC - don't bother - just a typical lounge with average food, fairly small and not particularly comfortable, not terrible though. They're all a 10/15 minute walk from the A3 gates though. LH is right next to the exit from security and two or three minutes to the gate and is fine, although it can get VERY busy at times.
is friend A3*G? flew eco?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by romans
is friend A3*G? flew eco?
No, just a Blue, in paid business.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Miles+Bonus for infrequent flyer?

I have an upcoming Aegean flight. My United MileagePlus number is on the reservation. I expect to fly Aegean rarely (less than once every two years). Is there any reason for me to register in Miles+Bonus? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:54 am

I have an upcoming Aegean flight. My United MileagePlus number is on the reservation. I expect to fly Aegean rarely (less than once every two years). Is there any reason for me to register in Miles+Bonus? Thanks.
no
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:35 am

Well, while the short answer is a "no", like romans said, I would say, that based on recent experience (say 2021 and 2020) you could take a kind of a "bet", remove the MileagePlus number from the reservation, take the flight and then wait until the next black friday or so to see if Aegean offers 5000-6000 registration miles once again. If you create the account then and retro-claim the miles after that (you can do this up to 12 months after the flight), you will probably end up having a "free" ticket (or at least get quite close to an award ticket) for international destinations (perhaps your next connecting flight?) and you'll have more than enough for an award domestic flight, in case you need that. Even if you don't use the miles right away, you can still slowly pick up miles with your once-every-two-years Aegean flights (not to mention having an additional option to credit some miles from other star alliance flights too, in case those tickets credit more miles with Miles&Bonus than MP or other FFP's you may currently be a member of) and use them like even after 4 years, since they won't expire (and the once-every-two-years flight will keep your account alive too).
Well, that was the ...long answer :P
romans likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by romans
no
Thanks. That was the answer I wanted.
Originally Posted by giorginho
Well, while the short answer is a "no", like romans said, [...]
Thank you for that level of detail; I will think about it. I'm trying to simplify my life and there's a good chance I'll decide that even a free flight in four years (or more likely six to eight years based on what I guess my travel will be) is not enough to make me get yet another account to track. Still, "get something for nothing" is a powerful drug.
romans and giorginho like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:14 am

If you create the account then and retro-claim the miles after that (you can do this up to 12 months after the flight), you will probably end up having a "free" ticket (or at least get quite close to an award ticket) for international destinations (perhaps your next connecting flight?) and you'll have more than enough for an award domestic flight, in case you need that. Even if you don't use the miles right away, you can still slowly pick up miles with your once-every-two-years Aegean flights (not to mention having an additional option to credit some miles from other star alliance flights too, in case those tickets credit more miles with Miles&Bonus than MP or other FFP's you may currently be a member of) and use them like even after 4 years, since they won't expire (and the once-every-two-years flight will keep your account alive too).
I think this would depend on the booking class of the flight how many mies you would earn.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
I think this would depend on the booking class of the flight how many mies you would earn.
Well I started with the assumption, that you'd get at least 5000 miles as a registration bonus. 5000 miles are enough for a domestic award ticket on their own (and even if the new customer is required to have registered 1 flight, before redeeming, retro-claiming the miles from the flight mentioned above should do the trick). Now the not-so-clear assumption is, that serpens is on a transatlantic ticket, that connects to an Aegean flight. I would assume that luggage is included, so it should map into one of the flex categories, which earns some standard miles.
The same assumption applies for future flights (even if only once every two years) as well. It's almost always worth it to book flex over light (though I do see signs of the price difference going slightly up between these two) and if luggage is a must, then there's no way that your ticket is "light" (unless of course you've booked via an ota and added luggage as a separate service from them, which is simply never worth it).
So if you're already starting at 6500-7500 miles (registration bonus + retro-claim), you already have enough miles to redeem for a flight from Greece to anywhere below or around the Alps and if you add a couple more non-light flights, you're set to redeem for almost any direct destination. It's really not that hard, at least that's what I think. Light is almost a non-existing fare for me since the last changes. It makes zero sense.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It's a puzzle how many details to put in a request for information. My goal is to provide the minimum needed to get an informed response. Apparently, I fell short.
[...] Now the not-so-clear assumption is, that serpens is on a transatlantic ticket, that connects to an Aegean flight.
[...] luggage is a must, then there's no way that your ticket is "light"
[...] Light is almost a non-existing fare for me since the last changes. It makes zero sense.
My flight is intra-Europe with no connection to other flights. For me, luggage is a must. I assume Light refers to the lowest fare, and I thank you for confirming that it makes no sense.
giorginho likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: non
Hello all! This may be a simple question, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. If I collect more than 12k (currently 9k) miles and 2 segments on Aegean to qualify for silver, will I be able to use the extra miles towards gold later? For example, if I collect 15k miles before flying on Aegean and then get 6k more with a 2-segment Aegean flight, will I then get silver and 0 status miles or will I keep the remaining 9k (12k until end of May) miles to use towards gold?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Vahan Hovhannisyan
Hello all! This may be a simple question, but I haven't been able to find an answer yet. If I collect more than 12k (currently 9k) miles and 2 segments on Aegean to qualify for silver, will I be able to use the extra miles towards gold later? For example, if I collect 15k miles before flying on Aegean and then get 6k more with a 2-segment Aegean flight, will I then get silver and 0 status miles or will I keep the remaining 9k (12k until end of May) miles to use towards gold?
The latter. Or at least it was until recently and I've not heard of any changes.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
With Greece dropping the PCR before departure requirement on 7/2 is their any mandatory requirement for A3 with respect to pre-departure PCR Testing?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
With Greece dropping the PCR before departure requirement on 7/2 is their any mandatory requirement for A3 with respect to pre-departure PCR Testing?
Is there an airline with such a requirement?

To answer your question, no, Aegean never had nor has such a requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.