Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2020, 9:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Doubtful, as you cannot change the route (start/end or transfer point) at all when the flight has been upgraded with a coupon. Making such change would void the upgrade coupon.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Hi, just wondering if it's okay to book A3/OA flights via an OTA,* w.r.t. mileage/tier credit, and upgrade coupons? IIRC, someone once posted that an OTA-booking might invalidate the upgrade opportunity, but not sure if that's still the case.

*Whether it be a better known OTA (e.g. Expedia), or a lesser known one (e.g.GoToGate, BravoFly, Potato-Potato).
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:29 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hi, just wondering if it's okay to book A3/OA flights via an OTA,* w.r.t. mileage/tier credit, and upgrade coupons? IIRC, someone once posted that an OTA-booking might invalidate the upgrade opportunity, but not sure if that's still the case.

*Whether it be a better known OTA (e.g. Expedia), or a lesser known one (e.g.GoToGate, BravoFly, Potato-Potato).
I booked via Expedia in mid-December and I chose Flex option there, I was able to upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

OTA tickets are eligible for miles and upgrades the same as if you book directly with Aegean. Be aware that you need flights to book into upgradeable fares (P, U, T GoLight fares are not eligible for upgrade). This can sometimes make it difficult if the OTA doesn't display the fare bucket.

Also, most OTAs don't give you the option to book Flex or ComfortFlex fares (which are upgradeable in any fare class), they will just offer Economy or Business classes. And some agents offer a 'Flex' service, which is not actually a Flex fare with Aegean.

I know, it's confusing!
Old Jan 10, 2021, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon
I booked via Expedia in mid-December and I chose Flex option there, I was able to upgrade.
Gotcha!

Originally Posted by headingwest
OTA tickets are eligible for miles and upgrades the same as if you book directly with Aegean. Be aware that you need flights to book into upgradeable fares (P, U, T GoLight fares are not eligible for upgrade). This can sometimes make it difficult if the OTA doesn't display the fare bucket.

Also, most OTAs don't give you the option to book Flex or ComfortFlex fares (which are upgradeable in any fare class), they will just offer Economy or Business classes. And some agents offer a 'Flex' service, which is not actually a Flex fare with Aegean.

I know, it's confusing!
Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like the safest thing to do is book directly with Aegean (since it displays fare class, cabin class, and fare "style" (e.g. Light, Flex, ComfortFlex)).

Good to know that OTA flights are technically eligible for upgrades and miles; I was curious because some OTAs display fares at 15-25% off, or routings that Aegean's own site won't ticket.

As a side-note, I wonder if these lesser-known OTAs that GF suggests are legit, and I wonder how they're getting such discounts.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:10 am

but afaik only expedia shows fares as A3. No others OTA. I have not found any better price for flex flights for months.
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Gotcha!

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like the safest thing to do is book directly with Aegean (since it displays fare class, cabin class, and fare "style" (e.g. Light, Flex, ComfortFlex)).

Good to know that OTA flights are technically eligible for upgrades and miles; I was curious because some OTAs display fares at 15-25% off, or routings that Aegean's own site won't ticket.

As a side-note, I wonder if these lesser-known OTAs that GF suggests are legit, and I wonder how they're getting such discounts.
I'm not 100% certain, but I imagine that some agents get discounts for buying in bulk. Also they offer discounts to get you to book with them, but then charge for other services like adding baggage, seat selection, or date changes. The beauty of Aegean's website is that you can do most of these things without needing to contact the agent anyway.

Agent tickets are fine, I have probably made at least 100 EUR over the last year. I bought many tickets much cheaper than Aegean's website quoted, only to be given a Credit Voucher worth the ticket fare (so say 10 or 15 EUR more) when flights are cancelled. In the past I only ever bought from OTAs, but since Aegean changed the mile earning structure (i.e. P earns a lot less in GoLight than Flex/ComfortFlex) I have chosen to book directly with Aegean where I can select the higher earning fare classes. Most OTA's don't give you that option (apart from Expedia for example as romans said).

I must admit, I quite like the new fare structure. In the past, I never wanted to buy Flexible fares because I didn't want to pay for the main feature (check-baggage) that I never need, and the price difference between Light and Flex used to be quite considerable. Now I think the price difference between GoLight and Flex is quite reasonable considering you get a lot of extra miles, can select a standard seat (WHICH USED TO BE FREE FOR GOLDS! ), and of course, you have Flexibility to change the date online. Unfortunately, most OTAs don't offer the Flex option, so although I can save money on GoLight, it is no longer possible on decent mile earning tickets. Aegean is a winner!
yurtripper and romans like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by romans
but afaik only expedia shows fares as A3. No others OTA. I have not found any better price for flex flights for months.
There some other websites from Expedia group which are showing the fares like A3 and I found them cheaper on Expedia than on A3 (probably because thru expedia I could book a multicity - b2b @ LHR - but on A3 website was impossible)
romans likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon
There some other websites from Expedia group which are showing the fares like A3 and I found them cheaper on Expedia than on A3 (probably because thru expedia I could book a multicity - b2b @ LHR - but on A3 website was impossible)
Interesting. And everything went as expected? Ticket itinerary correct, mileage and tier credit issued as expected, etc.? That's precisely one of the cases I was wondering about w.r.t. OTAs. Sometimes they're the only option for a multi-city ticket like aaa-ATH-bbb (where 'aaa' and 'bbb' are non-Greek airports).

I'm not 100% certain, but I imagine that some agents get discounts for buying in bulk. Also they offer discounts to get you to book with them, but then charge for other services like adding baggage, seat selection, or date changes. The beauty of Aegean's website is that you can do most of these things without needing to contact the agent anyway.

Agent tickets are fine, I have probably made at least 100 EUR over the last year. I bought many tickets much cheaper than Aegean's website quoted, only to be given a Credit Voucher worth the ticket fare (so say 10 or 15 EUR more) when flights are cancelled. In the past I only ever bought from OTAs, but since Aegean changed the mile earning structure (i.e. P earns a lot less in GoLight than Flex/ComfortFlex) I have chosen to book directly with Aegean where I can select the higher earning fare classes. Most OTA's don't give you that option (apart from Expedia for example as romans said).

I must admit, I quite like the new fare structure. In the past, I never wanted to buy Flexible fares because I didn't want to pay for the main feature (check-baggage) that I never need, and the price difference between Light and Flex used to be quite considerable. Now I think the price difference between GoLight and Flex is quite reasonable considering you get a lot of extra miles, can select a standard seat (WHICH USED TO BE FREE FOR GOLDS! ), and of course, you have Flexibility to change the date online. Unfortunately, most OTAs don't offer the Flex option, so although I can save money on GoLight, it is no longer possible on decent mile earning tickets. Aegean is a winner!
Gotcha, so you've had no problem in the past buying exclusively from OTAs and getting tickets to credit properly, but with the change in fare structure, booking directly with A3 has become advantageous.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:49 am

Interesting. And everything went as expected? Ticket itinerary correct, mileage and tier credit issued as expected, etc.? That's precisely one of the cases I was wondering about w.r.t. OTAs. Sometimes they're the only option for a multi-city ticket like aaa-ATH-bbb (where 'aaa' and 'bbb' are non-Greek airports).
yes, all good.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:27 am

Hello,

According to the *A lounge finder, I can use A3 lounges, flying in A3 economy, with a United Club membership. However, I've also found that not all lounges abide by the *A lounge finder. Any recent insight for whether or not my UC membership is valid?

Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Hello,

According to the *A lounge finder, I can use A3 lounges, flying in A3 economy, with a United Club membership. However, I've also found that not all lounges abide by the *A lounge finder. Any recent insight for whether or not my UC membership is valid?

Thank you!
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, are you referring to MileagePlus?

If you have Star Alliance Gold status with United Airlines, you can access the lounge at ATH or SKG when flying economy on Aegean. Unfortunately Olympic Air isn't a Star Alliance member, so if you have a flight with them, you won't be allowed into the lounge. Only Miles&Bonus status members have that privilege (unless you have a Business Class ticket).
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver

I also have a paid United Club membership and recall using it once to access a lounge in Europe before attaining A3 *G. I would be interested in how things work out for you. I did find the following on the Star Alliance website:

Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge* at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

*Not applicable at SQ SilverKris Lounge (Business Class) in Singapore, AC Signature Suite and UA Polaris Lounges
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:21 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here, are you referring to MileagePlus?
I am referring to MileagePlus. I have a paid United Club membership.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:12 pm
hcl

Question will I earn miles on this flight?

Hello everyone

Planning my next trip and I'm not sure about this:

LH5418 from FRA to MBJ
Operated by: BRUSSELS AIRLINES FOR EUROWINGS (Airbus A330-200)

Will this flight (business Z/C) earn miles on A3 M&B?

Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.