Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Airlines catering thread share your inflight food pictures here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Please post all images of A3's food and beverage offerings in both Economy and Business Class, both domestic and international routes.

A posting hint:
The maximum image resolution that FT can cope with is 800 x 600. Posting images beyond this limit pushes them beyond the page margins, making the visual appearance of the thread disjointed and very difficult for everyone to read.

There are on-line tools for most image storage sites which provide alternative links for reduced sized images - please use these prior to posting to reduce work in having to request users edit their posts. Thanks.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles & Bonus
Print Wikipost

Aegean Airlines catering thread share your inflight food pictures here

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, ex LH FTL
Originally Posted by Xandrios
The retsina wine was not bad, I tried it as I had already sampled the other wines other times.
Xandrios, is this "modern retsina" really a cool trend ?
I have tasted similar retsina in the LH lounge in ATH last NOV and the sign next to it also stated it is the new hip. It was less piney very fresh wine but still a retsina.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by HNF01
I have tasted similar retsina in the LH lounge in ATH last NOV and the sign next to it also stated it is the new hip. It was less piney very fresh wine but still a retsina.
Since about 30-40 years Retsina is definitely not what it used to be.

Traditionally, it was produced only in the Mesogheia area of Attica (Athenian Retsina) and a few islands (e.g. Spetses, Euboea and a few more) from where the raisin was obtained, using the Savatiano grape variety to make the wine. In a few more areas (e.g. Nemea) red Retsina, called Kokkineli, was also produced using varieties such as Aigiorgitiko and a few more. Retsina was never, ever bottled (there were a few exceptions, such as the Kambas winery)! In the end of August the wooden vats were emptied from whatever wine was left over from the previous year, washed (often by rolling them around in the sea with one side open), dried and their walls were smeared with freshly collected pine raisin. As soon as the new wine's fermentation was over, the vats were filled and sealed and they were opened on October 26 (St. Dimitrios) for the new wine. Carafes, hardly ever bottles other than for transportation, were filled from the vat and wine was drunk from the vats were used till the end of August. Since the raisin was slowly diffusing into the wine from the walls, the piny taste became stronger and stronger and only few people liked to drink Retsina during the summer months. Remember, I'm talking about pre-refrigeration days!

As I said, this is not the way anymore. The wineries dilute standard amounts of raisin directly into the wine before bottling, such that the taste remains constant throughout the year. Moreover, they've started using other non-named white grapes (blanc de blancs) after wine makers realized that the Savatiano grapes can also be used to produce a charming non-resinated white wine that they sell for more. Moreover (see Xandrios' images) they've started using other good grapes such as Asyrtico (a Santorini variety), etc. and they produce Retsina in places such as Crete and Macedonia where Retsina was completely unknown before tourists started asking for it.

I still miss the original taste and since I have an ex collaborator who's an oenologist in the Mesogheia area, I asked him a few years ago whether he could locate some traditional Retsina in his area. He looked around and told me that in small wineries where the owner is in his 70s or 80s they still make some, but otherwise all Retsina produced is a "modern" product.

I don't mind new tastes and new products, but I'm sorry to see that old tastes disappear. This is especially true since I live far from my home town (Athens) and I often feel like being a foreigner over here... I NEED my Retsina !
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HNF01
I am in no way an expert on retsina, KLouis reply will definitely be the more informative one here

Frankly, I haven't much tried retsina outside of a tourist like setting; The last time probably was when I used to come to Greece for holidays quite some time ago. On my mind I have connected it to touristy holidays, summer tavernas at the beach, that kind of thing. I guess that for me it always was more of a gimmick than a quality wine.

Nowadays, even living in rural Greece where the traditions of making wine at home are still very much alive, retsina is not really something popular in our area. In fact I don't think that I know anybody who does. Most people here make something best described as a short-aged rosé - quite strong, and used in any and every setting that may suit an alcoholic beverage

Anyway, to answer your question - I would not really know. I'll keep an eye on the wine menu next time we're out for drinks, though I have doubts that any of the places here will feature any kind of retsina at all. Most places feature local wines only, one of the more famous wineries here is Mercouri (brochure) but I don't think they make any retsina either.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 1, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by xandrios
i am in no way an expert on retsina, klouis reply will definitely be the more informative one here

frankly, i haven't much tried retsina outside of a tourist like setting; the last time probably was when i used to come to greece for holidays quite some time ago. On my mind i have connected it to touristy holidays, summer tavernas at the beach, that kind of thing. I guess that for me it always was more of a gimmick than a quality wine.

Nowadays, even living in rural greece where the traditions of making wine at home are still very much alive, retsina is not really something popular in our area. In fact i don't think that i know anybody who does. Most people here make something best described as a short-aged rosé - quite strong, and used in any and every setting that may suit an alcoholic beverage

anyway, to answer your question - i would not really know. I'll keep an eye on the wine menu next time we're out for drinks, though i have doubts that any of the places here will feature any kind of retsina at all. Most places feature local wines only, one of the more famous wineries here is mercouri (brochure) but i don't think they make any retsina either.
ΘΕΕ ΜΟΥ ΠΥΡΓΙΩΤΗΣ!!!!!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

Oh boy, you don't try to hide your disdain huh

How about Olympian, already a lot better no..
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:19 pm

Oh boy, you don't try to hide your disdain huh

How about Olympian, already a lot better no..
Holy land

I'm suffering from your lot, my partner is a lawyer from Pyrgos!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
I'm suffering from your lot, my partner is a lawyer from Pyrgos!
Bravo! seems we are in the same situation then
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:09 pm

Flew ATH-DUS yesterday. This was one of the least impressive flights in Business so far.

Undressed iceberg lettuce, two ice cold tasteless shrimp, and some smoked trout (that was OK):

No choice of mains, apparently they ran out of the beef option with the other 2 pax. Braised chicken on pasta was the only dish left. Perhaps I have my expectations set too high but it was not even somewhat similar to the (home-made) red chicken I had the day before:

Desert:

I was not impressed by the crew this time. No offer to hang coats and jackets, while me and another pax folded them into the overhead with FA watching. During lunch service no apologies for having run out of choices, and afterwards she disappeared for most of the flight to fix her nails in the galley. I had to walk up there to ask for some of the magical mastiha juice - otherwise would have missed out. I know, first world problems, but still a bit more attentiveness would have been nice.

Last edited by Xandrios; Feb 21, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:59 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Flew ATH-DUS yesterday. This was one of the least impressive flights in Business so far.
Huh, really looks worse than my recent Y-class meal...
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
CDG to ATH in J

Here I like the moussaka, it is very tasty. perhaps my only comparison is that one greek restaurant i tried in melbourne so it might not be good but i like it :P

ATH to VIE in J

I didn't like the fish. I think it was like flavour of the month named after city... But I like the starter which is octopus. :P

I love all the desserts esp baklava. I enjoyed the wine too. I picked the dry white.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:19 am

Nice going, I'm a big fan of both appetizers!

For reference, ATH-DUS last week in economy - Pasticio

Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Moussaka and Pastichio now your talking ^^
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:57 pm

Pastichio is quite cheap for J class

Last edited by DrHalxx; Mar 18, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:13 pm

Y+ C catering

Hi this is my recent, C (seafood from Salonica I think?) and Y (special meal, hindu!!!) catering, enjoy
Attached Images     
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:14 pm

I flew LHR-JFK in J on a VS flight soon afterwards. A3 was so much better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.