FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aegean Airlines catering thread share your inflight food pictures here
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:02 am
KLouis

Originally Posted by HNF01
Xandrios, is this "modern retsina" really a cool trend ?
I have tasted similar retsina in the LH lounge in ATH last NOV and the sign next to it also stated it is the new hip. It was less piney very fresh wine but still a retsina.
Since about 30-40 years Retsina is definitely not what it used to be.

Traditionally, it was produced only in the Mesogheia area of Attica (Athenian Retsina) and a few islands (e.g. Spetses, Euboea and a few more) from where the raisin was obtained, using the Savatiano grape variety to make the wine. In a few more areas (e.g. Nemea) red Retsina, called Kokkineli, was also produced using varieties such as Aigiorgitiko and a few more. Retsina was never, ever bottled (there were a few exceptions, such as the Kambas winery)! In the end of August the wooden vats were emptied from whatever wine was left over from the previous year, washed (often by rolling them around in the sea with one side open), dried and their walls were smeared with freshly collected pine raisin. As soon as the new wine's fermentation was over, the vats were filled and sealed and they were opened on October 26 (St. Dimitrios) for the new wine. Carafes, hardly ever bottles other than for transportation, were filled from the vat and wine was drunk from the vats were used till the end of August. Since the raisin was slowly diffusing into the wine from the walls, the piny taste became stronger and stronger and only few people liked to drink Retsina during the summer months. Remember, I'm talking about pre-refrigeration days!

As I said, this is not the way anymore. The wineries dilute standard amounts of raisin directly into the wine before bottling, such that the taste remains constant throughout the year. Moreover, they've started using other non-named white grapes (blanc de blancs) after wine makers realized that the Savatiano grapes can also be used to produce a charming non-resinated white wine that they sell for more. Moreover (see Xandrios' images) they've started using other good grapes such as Asyrtico (a Santorini variety), etc. and they produce Retsina in places such as Crete and Macedonia where Retsina was completely unknown before tourists started asking for it.

I still miss the original taste and since I have an ex collaborator who's an oenologist in the Mesogheia area, I asked him a few years ago whether he could locate some traditional Retsina in his area. He looked around and told me that in small wineries where the owner is in his 70s or 80s they still make some, but otherwise all Retsina produced is a "modern" product.

I don't mind new tastes and new products, but I'm sorry to see that old tastes disappear. This is especially true since I live far from my home town (Athens) and I often feel like being a foreigner over here... I NEED my Retsina !