Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:35 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
If your boarding pass still says Economy and you still have the double booking it sounds like you are in fact in the Economy cabin. If you share the flight/date I'm happy to check the seatmap through ExpertFlyer.
Anubis13 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:20 am

Good afternoon Xandrios ,
the flight is GVA-ATH tomorrow, flight number A3855. I still have the double check in, in the app and yes boarding pass says still economy flex.

Thank you for checking up, I was checking some stuff before in my expert flyer free account and now I need to wait for tomorrow.

Edit: Xandrios no need to check i confirm 5C is business, my expert flyer daily amount was reset.

Last edited by Anubis13; Jul 7, 2021 at 11:45 am
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:05 pm

Ok that is great! I'm not entirely sure how that works as it sounds like you are still booked in Economy, however that is good news. Business is through row 6 like you expected.

What does surprise me is that, except 5 seats, every single seat is booked. That's 19 seats taken in business class - don't often see such a high occupancy in business on Aegean.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 12:10 am

Hi Xandrios ,

I can explain you why. First of all usually in the summer Aegean has 2 flights per day one in the morning one in the afternoon. The afternoon one was cancelled a few months ago and people were transferred to the morning one.
Furthermore, GVA-ATH is usually a full flight not packed but I do not remember what was the last time business was under 50%
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
Unfortunately if your coupons have expired before Aegean offers an upgrade, you will not be able to use them and therefore have to fly economy or pay for an upgrade.
Ok that is unfortunate, but I was already expecting it. Thank you for the answer.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:13 am

I have been in a similar situation with my C upgrade being on hold and me trying to check-in. Ending up in C, but somehow still showing "Economy". I think the issue is that somehow the upgrade is processed but not completely.
Anubis13 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I'm not sure if this has been discussed previously in the thread so feel free to ignore (or mods can delete this post) if I'm repeating common knowledge but I had a very interesting experience last week with upgrading married segments. As I think this could be useful to know, I'll try to list a simple breakdown of what happened:

- Booked BER-ATH-RHO for 3 passengers with 3 I class seats available on BER-ATH
- Rang up to upgrade and was told the BER-ATH and ATH-RHO segments were married so had to be waitlisted and revenue management had to "unmarry" the segments first
- The next day, the 3 I class seats disappeared from BER-ATH but the segment was still waitlisted (cue a very grumpy reaction from me )
- Decided to change the dates anyway, as new dates worked better for us. Had to split my daughter off the reservation due to a typo in her name and this was the cheapest way to do it.
- 3 I class available on BER-ATH, upgrade for my partner and me could be confirmed immediately but my daughter's segments were married so needed to be waitlisted (nobody including A3 knows why!). Agent recommended not upgrading the parents' tickets in case the daughter's upgrade didn't clear.
- 2 days later, one I class seat disappeared from the inventory (cue more grumpiness from me!) so I decided to confirm the other 2 upgrades and to sit in Y on my own if my daughter's upgrade didn't clear.
- Spoke to the agent who dealt with the whole mess in the beginning and she said that the reason the 1 I class seat disappeared was that the segments had been unmarried and the I class seat allocated to her reservation despite it still showing as waitlisted. All 3 upgrades were confirmed within minutes.
- Checked back for the original date I had booked just out of interest and the 3 I class seats had reappeared.

The moral of the story is: if you're waitlisted for 1 segment due to married segments and the I class availability miraculously disappears, don't just silently fume like I did, ring A3 and see whether the segments have been unmarried and your upgrade can be cleared.

I found this whole process very interesting and a steep learning curve for me, as I had never experienced the married segment situation before. I hope it helps some of you too.
Xandrios and giorginho like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:22 pm

That is very useful information, thanks for sharing. Hope you'll enjoy the flights!
gpb_croppers63 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That is very useful information, thanks for sharing. Hope you'll enjoy the flights!
You're very welcome! Thanks for the good wishes, I'm sure we will.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Just wondering about a few things, sorry if they're a bit newb'ish:
  • Are upgrade coupons returned to the account holder if they aren't successfully applied? (I'm trying to upgrade a friend; I'm not sure whether he booked in "Go Light," and I doubt he'd know what fare class. If I try to apply a coupon over the phone and it's ultimately rejected either because the ticket doesn't qualify or there doesn't end up being upgrade space anytime before boarding, would the coupons return to me?)
  • If EF shows positive I-space for the flight, under the "awards and upgrades" function, would it upgrade immediately?
  • Is I-space under the "awards and upgrades" function the same thing as I-space under the "flight availability" function? For some airlines, they're different but I'm not sure if A3 is one of them.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:32 pm

No problem with the "newbie" questions. We've all had to learn the slightly complicated rules at some point.

I've provided answers to your questions below. Hope they help.

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Just wondering about a few things, sorry if they're a bit newb'ish:
  • Are upgrade coupons returned to the account holder if they aren't successfully applied? (I'm trying to upgrade a friend; I'm not sure whether he booked in "Go Light," and I doubt he'd know what fare class. If I try to apply a coupon over the phone and it's ultimately rejected either because the ticket doesn't qualify or there doesn't end up being upgrade space anytime before boarding, would the coupons return to me?) - If the fare class is ineligible, the agent won't let you apply the coupons. If the flight is waitlisted, the coupons aren't pulled until the waitlist clears. Therefore, the coupons won't ever leave your account unless the upgrade clears so no need to worry about "getting them back"
  • If EF shows positive I-space for the flight, under the "awards and upgrades" function, would it upgrade immediately? - Yes, the agent should be able to put it through immediately while you're on the phone unless there are married segments in play (see my post above for what happens in that case).
  • Is I-space under the "awards and upgrades" function the same thing as I-space under the "flight availability" function? For some airlines, they're different but I'm not sure if A3 is one of them. - The general rule is that if there is an I class seat available to book an award flight, this is also available for upgrades. The only caveat is the married segments issue as mentioned above.

Last edited by gpb_croppers63; Jul 20, 2021 at 4:33 pm Reason: Formatting for clarity
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:18 am

Just had a very good experience with Aeagean over the phone.

I had a DUS-ATH ticket booked on which I was upgraded (confirmed) trough a coupon. This morning I received a cancelation notice and saw that Aegean is no longer flying between DUS and ATH on my prefered day. I want to fly on that specific day so asked the agent to change the origin to AMS. According to the agent this normally isn't possible, since coupons do not allow reroutes. After checking this with Miles+Bonus she was able to switch me (including the upgraded seat) to the AMS flight. Even though there was no I class available!

Very happy with the resolution.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Rambol
Just had a very good experience with Aeagean over the phone.

I had a DUS-ATH ticket booked on which I was upgraded (confirmed) trough a coupon. This morning I received a cancelation notice and saw that Aegean is no longer flying between DUS and ATH on my prefered day. I want to fly on that specific day so asked the agent to change the origin to AMS. According to the agent this normally isn't possible, since coupons do not allow reroutes. After checking this with Miles+Bonus she was able to switch me (including the upgraded seat) to the AMS flight. Even though there was no I class available!

Very happy with the resolution.
Nice.
Will you fly economy or business?
If you fly economy, is your coupon available on your account again?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Nice.
Well she/he does say ''including the upgraded seat'', so I think that's a clue!

I'm more interested to know which booking class it booked into, and whether it will earn Business miles!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
Nice.
I will fly in business. The coupon would have never returned to my account, since it has expired by now. That's why I am so happy that they could just apply the coupons without them having to go back to my account first.

Well she/he does say ''including the upgraded seat'', so I think that's a clue!

I'm more interested to know which booking class it booked into, and whether it will earn Business miles!
It is booked in I, so the same class as regular upgrades. I expect to earn the regular economy miles, but will let you know after I've flown this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.