Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: A3*G, FRECCIA ALATA CLUB
Originally Posted by zxd
I called to upgrade my flights ZRH<->ATH for both legs back and forth. I was told that I would be put on the waiting list but now when I check my ticket on both Amadeus and the Aegean website, it says business and it also says booking class I. Does this mean the upgrade was successful or does it just mean I'm on a waiting list?
I am also on a waiting list for an ATH-LHR upgrade (while secured a LHR-ATH one) and booking says

Booking Class I for the LHR-ATH.

Booking Class I for ATH-LHR
Booking Class U for ATH-LHR

(so it shows two entries which I think means that the upgrade has not happened yet)

Also Coupons have been deducted for the confirmed upgrades but not for the one on the waiting list.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by vangelisd
I am also on a waiting list for an ATH-LHR upgrade (while secured a LHR-ATH one) and booking says

Booking Class I for the LHR-ATH.

Booking Class I for ATH-LHR
Booking Class U for ATH-LHR

(so it shows two entries which I think means that the upgrade has not happened yet)

Also Coupons have been deducted for the confirmed upgrades but not for the one on the waiting list.
It shows that you are confirmed and ticketed in U class and that you are waitlisted in I class. The best way to see if and when this status changes is to download ''My flights'' on your iPhone / Android if you have one and it will alert you if and when the I class gets confirmed.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
Ι find it weird that this discussion started more than 11 months since the introduction of the upgrade coupons: Has no FTer cancelled his/her flight so that we could get a real-life account of what happens?
The coupons have the relevant T&Cs governing their usage printed on them:

Originally Posted by Aegean
Seat upgrade can be booked by the member, both for personal use or for any third person chosen, only via Aegean Reservations Department (801 11 20000 or +30 210 62 61 000) up to 2 hours prior to the respective flight departure. The member is required to have a valid and paid Economy Class ticket with confirmed reservation when Aegean is the validating carrier (stock number 390). General seat availability does not necessarily imply that a complimentary seat upgrade will be provided. Free, award, charter flights and barter tickets, are not eligible for this offer. Mileage accrual is applicable according to the fare purchased, not the flown. It is clarified that, a) date and time changes are allowed, b) rerouting after ticket issued is not permitted, c) in cases of non-show or cancellation, the coupon cannot be re-used, d) cancellation of seat upgrade is not permitted and e) any difference between the initially purchased ticket and the new, higher class of service in taxes, airport duties, A.I.A. (Athens International Airport) charges, insurance surcharges, as well as any additional charge or fee imposed by any Public Authority, is due by the member (the difference in the charges is payable by the member and are due upon issuing the upgrade award).
I would advise anyone who is unsure they will actually travel but who doesn't want to waste the coupon, to postpone applying the upgrade coupon until such time as they know they will definitely be travelling. The coupon can be applied up to 2 hours prior to departure.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: A3*G, FRECCIA ALATA CLUB
Originally Posted by DELLAS
It shows that you are confirmed and ticketed in U class and that you are waitlisted in I class. The best way to see if and when this status changes is to download ''My flights'' on your iPhone / Android if you have one and it will alert you if and when the I class gets confirmed.
Thanks nice app, simple and easy to manage all bookings.

It still shows both flights as confirmed and one in U and one in I.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:31 am

99% of the time I have got an alert when there has been a class confirmation in the A3 system or a seat / aircraft change. So hopefully it works for you this time. The email you sign up with to My flights also gets an email so if for any reason you have issues on the phone you should get the email. Once the E ticket is reissued it also creates an alert. ^
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by sokolov
I was told: When I becones available, they will call you (!). Then you have to authorize the use of the voucher, if it is still available.
I was asked if I wanted to get a call back to authorize it, or whether she should go ahead and upgrade me if it becomes available - Of course I picked the latter.

Btw, I've had nothing but awesome experiences with the Aegean customer reps. They are sooooo helpful, polite and cheerful
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:08 am
zxd

Programs: A3

Where can I find this app? Didn't find it
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond
Where can I see seat availability for I class on Aegean for awards seats - upgrades. I have tried Ana and other sites but can only see availability to the end of March 2016. Looking for availability in April and August 2016. Many thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by jetboys360
Where can I see seat availability for I class on Aegean for awards seats - upgrades. I have tried Ana and other sites but can only see availability to the end of March 2016. Looking for availability in April and August 2016. Many thanks.
Expertflyer.com - free 5 day trial.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:11 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by zxd
Where can I find this app? Didn't find it
It's only available for Apple (perhaps only iPad) as an app, but there's also a web version now at www.myflightsapp.com.

ANA shows live availability in Starnet - nothing is filtered or blocked so if it doesn't appear, it means A3 hasn't yet loaded it. You will not gain any more from the paid websites than you already get from ANA, so long as you understand how to manipulate the tool to your best advantage.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: M&M, M&B
I login into my M&B account and search for an award flight on the specific date. If a business class seat is available you can usually also upgrade via voucher.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: M&M, M&B
Alternatively you can use the following booking site. It's in German, but you can switch to English. Search there for your specific flight and then click "Show Details". They list all booking classes and show how many seats are left.

http://www.de.fcm.travel/travel-tools/onlinebuchung-deu
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Ι find it weird that this discussion started more than 11 months since the introduction of the upgrade coupons: Has no FTer cancelled his/her flight so that we could get a real-life account of what happens?
Exactly this happened to me last Friday.
I had to change WAW-ATH upgraded flight from Friday to Saturday. I was charged 281EUR for it. The orignal return ticket costed around 110EUR.
New ticket was issued in I class. Question how many miles I will receive for this leg.

In the past, I also cancelled two upgrades and vouchers returned to my account. I didn't ask for it in this case.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Grigoris
Exactly this happened to me last Friday.
I had to change WAW-ATH upgraded flight from Friday to Saturday. I was charged 281EUR for it. The orignal return ticket costed around 110EUR.
New ticket was issued in I class. Question how many miles I will receive for this leg.
The fact that the new ticket is still issued in I means that it's still an upgrade. I could imagine that in the case of re-booking, they first downgrade the ticket to its original booking class, then re-book the downgraded ticket (while charging any fees that result from non-availabiliy of the original booking class on the new flight) and then re-upgrade the changed ticket. Just a speculation, but makes sense to me.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I don't think they'd have to downgrade/upgrade.

The T&Cs allow you to change the time and date (but not route) of an upgraded flight.

All that is required is to find a flight on the new date with I availability - and then to observe the change conditions applicable to the originally-issued ticket. This would mean charging whatever change fee applied to the original ticket, and charging whatever fare difference is due (which could be considerable, if the new date of departure is in the very near future).

The outcome should be the same in either case, anyway. So the exact method is probably not of any great concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.