Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Xandrios
One of my Coupon-upgraded flights in February just got cancelled. If at all possible I'd rather wait choosing an alternative until close(r) to departure, as it would give me the option to move the flight further out if I'd need to postpone.

However... I-class availability is VERY scarce. I've read that nowadays with IRROPS they have the ability to move bookings off a canceled flight onto a new one without re-ticketing - even if the booking class is not available on that new flight. Does that also apply to upgraded flights at all?

If that does not work I can, of course, wait until VERY last-minute assuming I-class opens up then. But that is a little risky (Though I don't expect flights to be full mid-Feb, you never know). The alternative is that I move the flight now, to a new date with I-class availability (of which there are only like 2 in a 2-week period)... but that rather limits me in case I decide to postpone the trip (Depending on the Covid situation at that time).
When I got a cancellation with a coupon booking in November they just moved it. By how quickly they did it I don't think the gold agent looked at any availability and just rebooked me to the other date.
You should be most likely able to freely move the flight to a date that works for you. With the usual limit of ticket validity.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks! I'll take a little more time and not rush into making the change then
Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:12 pm

I just applied for an upgrade per voucher about 60 hours before the flight! There was I availability until about 1 month ago, but since then nothing, even though business class is completely empty... I am curious to see how this works out, but to be honest, I would hate for the upgrade to go through at the gate... If the additional luggage allowance and lounge access are already forfeited, then it won't be worth it.
So my question is, do you know if one can ask the check-in agent to remove the upgrade request (if they still can't confirm the upgrade by then) or will I need to call the hotline? (can the passenger flying, member of my together account, make that request at check-in or just me, as the voucher holder?)
Old Dec 23, 2021, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
Does this mean that you also got to keep your vouchers?
No, they did use our vouchers and the miles were regular ones (though double tier ones!).
giorginho likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
I just applied for an upgrade per voucher about 60 hours before the flight! There was I availability until about 1 month ago, but since then nothing, even though business class is completely empty... I am curious to see how this works out, but to be honest, I would hate for the upgrade to go through at the gate... If the additional luggage allowance and lounge access are already forfeited, then it won't be worth it.
So my question is, do you know if one can ask the check-in agent to remove the upgrade request (if they still can't confirm the upgrade by then) or will I need to call the hotline? (can the passenger flying, member of my together account, make that request at check-in or just me, as the voucher holder?)
You could wait for 2-1.5 days before departure (usually the WL clears then) and if you haven't heard, just give them a call and ask for the WL to be removed. Not sure if they can do it (the cancellation) at the the check-in (esp. if outstations) and you don't want to risk it maybe.
romans and giorginho like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:17 am

Well as it turns out, even though no e-mail regarding the clearing of the upgrade request was received, while trying to check-in online today for tomorrow's flight the pre-selected seat had been moved forward in business class and the designation "business class", as well as extra baggage allowance etc., were visible on the website.
Meal pre-selection isn't visible/offered but there are only 2 other blocked seats in 4 rows of business class, so I don't worry much about that.
Nice!
Xandrios and romans like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3 - Miles and Bonus
upgrade to business with M&B for a SAS flight

Hello all,

I am A3*S, and I want to try to upgrade my seat on a ATH-ARN flight with M&B miles. The flight has been booked through the SAS website. I don't seem to be able to process the upgrade through the A3 website, since it doesn't recognise the booking reference. Do I have to speak to Aegean customer service? Has anyone done anything similar in the past?

Any tips are very very welcome -I'm quite new in getting upgrades, especially in the rest of the star alliance companies.

ps. I managed to upgrade Flex to Business on EDI-ATH on the 23rd, and the food was fan-ta-stic. Definitely worth it for a 4 hour flight, and the service in Aegean business is great.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:27 pm

Is the flight operated by Aegean or SAS?

In any case though, if the flight was booked through SAS and has a SAS ticket number, then you will not be able to upgrade it with a coupon. Only flights in certain fare classes, with an Aegean flight number, operated by Aegean and having the 390- Aegean ticket number prefix can be upgraded with a coupon.

If the flight is booked through SAS you may be able to upgrade using miles, though that probably requires the flight to be in an (almost) full fare booking class.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: A3 - Miles and Bonus
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Is the flight operated by Aegean or SAS?

In any case though, if the flight was booked through SAS and has a SAS ticket number, then you will not be able to upgrade it with a coupon. Only flights in certain fare classes, with an Aegean flight number, operated by Aegean and having the 390- Aegean ticket number prefix can be upgraded with a coupon.

If the flight is booked through SAS you may be able to upgrade using miles, though that probably requires the flight to be in an (almost) full fare booking class.
you're right, this flight is operated by SAS and isn't eligible for coupon upgrade - yet, I would like to upgrade it with miles. The fare is W. The thing is, the ticket wasn't bought through the aegean booking machine, so when I fill in the booking reference during the star alliance upgrade process, it ain't recognised - which is a bummer. Has anyone done anything similar in the past through the website, or calling was necessary? (I'll most probs call tomorrow and see what they say)

edit: according to this, doesn't look like the booking class is eligible:
singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ppsclub_krisflyer/charts/SA_Upgrades_apr19.pdf
oh well, tough luck!

Last edited by demeque; Dec 25, 2021 at 3:54 pm Reason: updated info
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:41 pm

demeque if you are indeed flying on an Aegean aircraft, then the only way to get a "free" upgrade (be it by voucher or Aegean's own Miles&Bonus miles) is to call the hotline! Everything else you already posted is quite confusing (like this latest Kris flyer file, which leads me to believe that you want to upgrade with miles from a different airline than Aegean, plus you didn't answer the question about the first digits of the ticket number). Anyway, call the Aegean hotline for your inquiry about a silver member's voucher upgrade or a miles&bonus upgrade (if you do have such miles).
Old Dec 27, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by NextWhiteDeath
When I got a cancellation with a coupon booking in November they just moved it. By how quickly they did it I don't think the gold agent looked at any availability and just rebooked me to the other date.
You should be most likely able to freely move the flight to a date that works for you. With the usual limit of ticket validity.
I've decided on a new date and figured out that, by chance, this was one of the dates that already had I-class availability. Had the flight moved and noticed that the I1 became I0, so existing inventory is being used (at least when available). I did ask the agent if she would also have been able to make the change if there was no availability in I-class, to which she answered that a seat would be made available. Not sure if she was talking about class I/Business or in Economy though. I'd like to think Business... but I'm not 100% sure

One other thing I noticed is that both the booking date and ticket number remained the same. That's important because this is one of my double-status-miles flights - If Aegean won't extend status that means I'll still have to collect 9K miles before end of May. In 2021 I mainly flew AFKL due to their double-status-miles promotion, but this winter/spring I should probably be flying A3 to maintain status - assuming that's going to be possible with the travel limitations in place.

Last edited by Xandrios; Dec 27, 2021 at 7:36 am
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:05 pm

Here's the "weird" ending of my voucher-upgraded return flight from ZRH (see posts # 2323 and 2329): no news from the waiting list, before and after CI, and we finally boarded on time, though sitting in the first row behind the curtain (#6), aseats assigned by A3 without paying . Then, after boarding was completed and just about when they were ready to close the door, a FA comes to us, the manifest in her hands, and asks whether we're Mrs and Mr KLouis; obviously I said yes, and she continued asking us whether we'd still like to fly business. We said yes, and were moved one row ahead, in the rather empty C cabin (5 seats taken out of 30!). Good food, very good wine (served from bottles opened for us, like in the good old days), very nice FAs.

By the way, no coupons were "used" on this leg, it was, after all, a completely free upgrade. I don't understand the strange procedure, but all's well that ends well.

PS Quite a bit out of topic, I was going to add this to a dedicated thread but I found out that it had been closed years ago: On the outbound flight to ZRH we had a male FA on board. He told me that there were 20-30 working for A3, a number that was increasing slowly (he said). Just an info, I didn't intend to start a discussion here.
Xandrios and romans like this.

Last edited by KLouis; Dec 29, 2021 at 6:27 pm Reason: PS added
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by KLouis
Here's the "weird" ending of my voucher-upgraded return flight from ZRH (see posts # 2323 and 2329): no news from the waiting list, before and after CI, and we finally boarded on time, though sitting in the first row behind the curtain (#6), aseats assigned by A3 without paying . Then, after boarding was completed and just about when they were ready to close the door, a FA comes to us, the manifest in her hands, and asks whether we're Mrs and Mr KLouis; obviously I said yes, and she continued asking us whether we'd still like to fly business. We said yes, and were moved one row ahead, in the rather empty C cabin (5 seats taken out of 30!). Good food, very good wine (served from bottles opened for us, like in the good old days), very nice FAs.

By the way, no coupons were "used" on this leg, it was, after all, a completely free upgrade. I don't understand the strange procedure, but all's well that ends well.

PS Quite a bit out of topic, I was going to add this to a dedicated thread but I found out that it had been closed years ago: On the outbound flight to ZRH we had a male FA on board. He told me that there were 20-30 working for A3, a number that was increasing slowly (he said). Just an info, I didn't intend to start a discussion here.
Whenever I was upgraded on board, the voucher was removed maybe 2 weeks later or so. Possible this would also happen for you?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I have four seat upgrade vouchers due to expire in May 2022 that I'm not going to have an opportunity to use.

Please PM me with contact details if you will use them but please make sure you have a qualifying economy ticket booked first.

All gone.
tallboy, Xandrios and KATERGOO like this.

Last edited by lhrpete; Jan 7, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:35 pm

lhrpete oh, wow, I was away for 1,5 days and missed that, that was really generous of you! If anyone else feels like gifting upgrade vouchers plz do reach out to me ​​​​​​.
KATERGOO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.