Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Just seeking clarification please:
I plan to buy an upgradeable fare to travel ATH-SKG-BCN.
At the moment the ATH-SKG flight is showing zero I class on EF
The SKG-BCN flight is showing I = 2.
As I recall, if I request a certificate upgrade on both flights, it is possible for the second flight to clear and the first be put on W/L. Is this correct?
With thanks
TB
Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:58 am

Yes, it is.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, it is.
Thank you for confirming.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I was supposed to fly to ATH next week but due to a work trip I had to postpone by two days. I had previously upgraded the original flight with a coupon but the new date doesn't have any I-class availability. So moving the flight would mean I would lose the upgrade.

Therefore I had work book a new Economy ticket for the new date and asked to be put on the waiting list. Availability in business is reasonably good still (C7,D4,Z3,A1) though I don't know if that means that there are 7 unsold seats in business or 15. It's the first time i'm being waitlisted, curious to see how that works out.

The original flight I'll likely move to a future date that does have I availability, allowing to keep that upgrade intact.
Received a new e-ticket just when OLCI was opening. Flight went out with 3 rows of business, all seats taken.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Good luck with my coupons continue. I booked a return to ATH travelling in October 2020 and call immediately after to upgrade: done without hassle in 5 minutes. All my coupons in 3 years of Gold were used with no hassle whatsoever. I currently have two flights waitlisted and maybe they will pass, but if not then I still have two coupons to use this year. Still very happy with this benefit.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SK*B, GHA Platinum
I was supposed to fly to ATH next week but due to a work trip I had to postpone by two days. I had previously upgraded the original flight with a coupon but the new date doesn't have any I-class availability. So moving the flight would mean I would lose the upgrade.

Therefore I had work book a new Economy ticket for the new date and asked to be put on the waiting list. Availability in business is reasonably good still (C7,D4,Z3,A1) though I don't know if that means that there are 7 unsold seats in business or 15. It's the first time i'm being waitlisted, curious to see how that works out.

The original flight I'll likely move to a future date that does have I availability, allowing to keep that upgrade intact.
It means that there is 7 unsold seats all together in business.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:28 am

For someone with gold status, what is the benefit of these gold coupons? seat up front with middle seat empty?

Back in the day, when A3 first started these gold coupons a few years ago, when they could still be used on the go light fares, THEN was real benefit, i.e. free luggage. but i don't really get it now that they can only be used on flex fares, which come with 1 luggage anyway, and the gold gives another free luggage.

- lounge comes with the gold.
- baggage on flex is 1 +1
- advanced seat selection is free

So it doesn't really make sense to pay an extra 50 odd euro for a flex ticket just to use the coupons.

I guess its a luck thing - that when the cheapest fare, on a flight you anyway need to book, is cheapest on a flex fare, then you can use the upgrade coupons.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by momoflyingguy
For someone with gold status, what is the benefit of these gold coupons? seat up front with middle seat empty?

Back in the day, when A3 first started these gold coupons a few years ago, when they could still be used on the go light fares, THEN was real benefit, i.e. free luggage. but i don't really get it now that they can only be used on flex fares, which come with 1 luggage anyway, and the gold gives another free luggage.

So it doesn't really make sense to pay an extra 50 odd euro for a flex ticket just to use the coupons.

I guess its a luck thing - that when the cheapest fare, on a flight you anyway need to book, is cheapest on a flex fare, then you can use the upgrade coupons.
Light fares other than U/T/P are eligible for using upgrade coupons.
tallboy and Furlong like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by bearchemist
Light fares other than U/T/P are eligible for using upgrade coupons.
and do those come with a free luggage?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:14 am

and do those come with a free luggage?
The question has been answered multiple times in this same thread.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:44 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Plenty of advantages still. As a Gold you'll get 3 pieces of 32KG luggage rather than one of 23KG. You'll be sure of overhead storage space even if you arrive at the gate just before closing. Wider seat and middle seat empty. No seat selection fees for up-front. You'll have one or two dedicated FA's for a small group of pax. Some proper hot food, and multiple drink rounds including premium alcohol. No queing for the lavatory after lunch or just before landing.

And sure, in some cases upgrading to flex costs 45 euro (Though thats the highest I have ever seen). In many cases the lowest economy fare is class S or higher though, and does not require Flex to use the coupon. And during a sale the Flex upgrade price also goes down, making the Flex upgrade more affordable.
tallboy, nikolask and yurtripper like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:01 am

Very well explained! Should be copy-pasted directly into the M+B site!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:26 am

Plenty of advantages still. As a Gold you'll get 3 pieces of 32KG luggage rather than one of 23KG. You'll be sure of overhead storage space even if you arrive at the gate just before closing. Wider seat and middle seat empty. No seat selection fees for up-front. You'll have one or two dedicated FA's for a small group of pax. Some proper hot food, and multiple drink rounds including premium alcohol. No queing for the lavatory after lunch or just before landing.

And sure, in some cases upgrading to flex costs 45 euro (Though thats the highest I have ever seen). In many cases the lowest economy fare is class S or higher though, and does not require Flex to use the coupon. And during a sale the Flex upgrade price also goes down, making the Flex upgrade more affordable.
Also, one of my favorites A3 business class perks is the dedicated bus when arriving in ATH at a remote gate. Makes the arrival process much more smoother especially when you are on a late evening arrival
GUWonder and Xandrios like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: A3*G
Those are seat upgrade coupons, ie you buy an economy ticket and get upgraded to business class.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by georgetasioulis
Those are seat upgrade coupons, ie you buy an economy ticket and get upgraded to business class.
He/She knows that. Basically, intra European business class = seat upfront with the middle seat empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.