Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Sofitel So Singapore [leaving Accor 28 Sept. 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel So Singapore [leaving Accor 28 Sept. 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I decided to avoid the Sofitel So. I've booked the Novotel for 2 nights and 1 night at the Roxy (Novotel not available at sale rate on my final night). At least the other options have lounges and as a Plat, that is a serious consideration when booking.
Slightly Off-topic, but does Exec Lounge status through Plat grant breakfast in the main restaurant ?

And for properties without lounges, can Plats expect complimentary breakfast ?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Sofitel So Singapore

Yes to point 1
No to point 2
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:23 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Sofitel So Singapore

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

Sofitel So Singapore

35 Robinson Road Singapore, SG 068876

Sofitel So Singapore (0 Photo)

Sofitel So Singapore

So, here's the promised review.
Wife and I were looking forward to this short staycation over the last weekend. I redeemed one of my Advantage Plus Certs for this hotel. Redeeming the cert in itself wasn't easy as the hotel constantly appears as "not available" on the redemption site. I contacted AAP about 3 1/2 months ago and was offered this past weekend as the first available date.

Using the vouchers means you are slotted into the basic room category - So Cozy.

Fast forward to last weekend and the stay with the wife ended up being "nobody is around to babysit our 6yo, so lets take her along".

And here some pictures:

(For a change no panorama picture as the room wasnt big enough for that)

Check In

On arrival (early check in at 11am) it seemed they were expecting us and ushered us to our room on the 2nd floor for a "in-room check-in". Nice touch. The Asst Guest Relations Manager, a friendly lady called Shona assisted us and also handed my daughter a So Lion plush toy. Again - how did they know I'd be coming with my daughter.

Room

The room was upgraded to a So Urban on the 2nd floor. The rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors have higher ceilings than 4th and 5th. The room was in the Heritage wing and faced Robinson Road. Room was perfect apart from the fact that with little Missus with us, we preferred twin super single beds rather than a single king + (no space for an extra bed). So Shona did the necessary and found us a room on the 4th floor with apologies that everything else was full and the problem with that room was that the ipad control device wasnt working. No issues to me.
We were shown to the new room (same design just lower ceilings).
Main difference between the smaller SO Cozy/Comfy rooms and the SO Urban is of course floor space which is mostly taken up by a bath. So the SO Cozy/Comfy rooms dont have a bath and judging by the floor plans are all located in the Hip wing which either face the internal lobby well or the rear side street.

We were given a drinks voucher for all 3(!) to be consumed either at the bar in the lobby or at the rooftop bar. Softdrinks / beer / some mocktails. We consumed ours on the rooftop with some excellent Truffle Oil Potato Chips.

The mini bar in the room consists of several drawers with "for free" and "to pay" items. Free items are everything in the fridge (drinks/juice/beer) and there are some local snacks in the drawers too that are free. Illy coffee machine is also available. Payable items are hard liquor and some souvenir/personal use items.

As a welcome platter we received two boxes of cookies (changes every week) and two glasses of some fruit cocktail. I have been told they clear the cookies in the evening as they are not vacuum packed in the boxes and may attract ants.

Dining

Breakfast here, I agree, is not something I'm used to receiving in Asia. We tend to get those lavish counters with many different options. Here at the So Sofitel, the range is slightly more than what you would get in a Pullman Exec lounge in Asia. Coffee was a bit bland.

Service

Turndown service was provided in the evening.

I was given late check out at 4pm.

A couple of side notes: As it was a weekend we parked at Robinson Central. It was S$2.50 from 1pm Sat - 4pm Sunday.
We had absolutely wonderful Falafel Sandwich at a small place called Fill-A-Pita at Shenton House (along Shenton Way) just 200m from the hotel.
Of course we had Satay at Lau Pa Sat in the evening

Sofitel So Singapore

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel So Singapore?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
Thanks for the stay report! The welcome drinks and the plush toy was a nice gesture by the hotel! Certainly something which would change my impression of the stay. Glad you had a better stay
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by BBxCoreb
Thanks for the stay report! The welcome drinks and the plush toy was a nice gesture by the hotel! Certainly something which would change my impression of the stay. Glad you had a better stay
As much as I'd love to say "but that's standard for Plats", I need to add that I did have some preempting at the So Sofitel through another Accor property manager.

Yet even without those two I'd say it was an OK stay. Considering I didn't directly pay for it and the Accor Advantage Plus membership cost SGD300+ I have certainly gotten my money worth.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Great report! Is there a pool at the property? Didn't read anyone reporting about it. I suppose the Lau Pa Sat opposite finished its renovation?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by RJ77
Great report! Is there a pool at the property? Didn't read anyone reporting about it. I suppose the Lau Pa Sat opposite finished its renovation?

Yes there is. On the rooftop. Small, 1.2m deep. GOLD tiled.. I only have pictures with my little girl in it. So here's a link to one online: http://www.hotelchatter.com/pages/up...mage-10492.jpg

Yup! Lau Pa Sat is open and quite full in the evenings.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:21 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Thanks for the review... I was thinking about trying this new hotel in April when I'm back in SG but when I saw the sizes of the rooms.... I wasn't sure I wanted to pay that much for it....
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I checked-out this morning from this hotel and thanks to Gilbertaue's report, mine will be shorter and simpler . I will post my review as soon as I can, but I can already say that I had a good stay there .
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Sofitel So Singapore

Sofitel So Singapore

Sofitel So Singapore (20 Photos)

Sofitel So Singapore

As promised, here is also my review of Sofitel So Singapore. Thanks to Gilbertaues report, mine will be simplerbecause I have been in the same situation as him : booked a So Cozy room (hip wing) and was upgraded promptly to a So Urban room in the heraitage wing, on the 3rd floor, facing the food market. So the pictures of my room would be the same as in Gilbertaues post. My Platinum status was well recognized and I had an excellent VIP welcome. All the staff I interacted with were very nice and professional. Drink voucher was given. The hotel lobby and restaurant areas have a very chic atmosphere and I was glad to see that the staff uniform (K. Lagerfeld) was not as crazy as in the So Bangkok (C. Lacroix). The hotel looked quite busy during my stay.

I knew the hotel was not a big one (hence the lack of club signature lounge), but I was really very surprised to see how small the building was. Here is a daylight picture and thats just the building you see, not more.

Definitely, the heritage wing is the one to stay in as you have a real outside street view. Indeed, the hip wing has half of its rooms facing a not-very-nice service street (where the car/taxi drop-off is located). And the other half have no street view but are facing the inner (narrow) courtyard which you can see on the picture below (on the picture below, on the left are the room windows ; on the right it is the heritage wing corridor windows).

Room

Of course they tried to have the maximum number of rooms in this relatively small place and this is why the rooms have this narrow style. The room surface is good but I would say that too much space is taken by bathroom and toilets, as opposed to the bed/desk area. Because you lack some space in the bed area for your luggage. I was just by myself so it was "OK" in term of storage space, but if you stay at 2, there is definitely not enough storage space in the corridor cabinet and no space at all for bags, which is very annoying for an hotel of this category. I liked the room style and amenities. A lot of technology, as usual in the So brand (mini mac, i-pad mini to control lights, curtains, etc, i-phone which you can carry with you in the hotel.). Im linking here additional pictures to complement Gilbertaues pics.

Welcome gift bring in the room shortly after arrival (salted and sweet biscuits, Evian water).

I laughed when I saw this painting of Napolon on the wall. I dont think he imagined that one day, he would be displayed as a tropical emperor in hotel rooms in Singapore !

I had a few technical issues during the stay (shaver plug not working, disconnection of the Apple Air Play system) but this was fixed rapidly. The wifi was globally slow and was very variable in term of speed, so sometimes very slow. Definitely something to improve +++

Dining

There is a small rooftop pool and bar, appreciable in the heat of Singapore. Unfortunately this bar is closing quite early (7 pm I think).

I had dinner once at the restaurant and the food was excellent (and a very creative menu). They have a very good French chef.

Service

Regarding the confusing information I received before my stay about reduction on F&B for platinum members (see my posts in this thread #76 and 82), I had to ask for it at check-out, because it was not done when I checked the bill before paying. But they did it promptly without problem and question.

Overall

Overall, I had a very good stay there. Nice hotel and very good staff. Platinum recognition OK. You have the advantages of a small hotel but on the minus side, clearly the lack of storage and luggage space in rooms is a big minus, especially if you stay at 2 persons in the room. I didnt see how were the rooms in the Hip wing but I dont think Id like to have a room on the service street or the inner courtyard. So, better to book in the heritge wing or to be sure to be upgraded there. Would I return ? Yes, if price OK, otherwise I will definitely prefer the Novotel at Clark Quay or another hotel.

Sofitel So Singapore

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black

Sofitel So Singapore

Sofitel So Singapore

Sofitel So Singapore (12 Photos)

Sofitel So Singapore

Overall

Here is my photos review of the property of my stay 2 months back

Overall, felt that the stay could be better. Given a 2 cat upgrade from normal room to So Urban room. However platinum treatment was lacking, service quality and level was not befitting of an 5 star hotel. I was told this is a 5 star boutique hotel, appreciate the nice gestures of the afternoon tea n the books in the room. The rooms were beautiful then again, service was lacking. Not a good start for me, considering this is my 1st luxury boutique hotel stay.

For full review & photos, feel free to read it herehttp://www.jltravellounge.com/Travel...l-SO-Singapore

Photos

Hotel Lobby

Hotel Corridor

Hotel Exterior (Night)

Hotel Entrance

Rooftop Pool & Bar

Room

So Urban Room

Bathroom

Complimentary Mini-Bar Snacks

Afternoon Tea (Marshmallow, Cookies, Drinks, Chocolates)

Gym

Hotel Gym

Dining

Breakfast @ XPERIENCE Restaurant

Sofitel So Singapore

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by BBxCoreb; Mar 8, 2015 at 10:44 am
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: ALL
Thanks for your review.

Nice shots ! To bad they didn't contain exif infos !

^
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:10 pm

Jeremy, nice review! Just a heads-up. The name of the cookies is written at the bottom of the box (underneath). That's more for housekeeping to know though.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:07 pm

Hi Martin, why would you require exif infos?

Hi Gilbert. Thanks! Ahh, then all the more Im disappointed that the Guest Services Agent could not get back to me on the flavour. I asked during the afternoon and did not get the reply even up to check out the next day. The cookies were nice. haha
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:51 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Thank you for a nice review.

IMO boutique hotel means smaller amount of guests and that should means better quality of service and breakfast.

Is afternoon tea served to every hotel guests or to loyal customers only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.