Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Sofitel So Singapore [leaving Accor 28 Sept. 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel So Singapore [leaving Accor 28 Sept. 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just stayed at the So Sofitel Singapore last night. It's certainly funky, and I can see this sort of design working well in somewhere like NY, for example. Overall I'm a bit 'meh' about the whole experience, but I was really only there to sleep and move on the next day. I didn't get any Platinum benefit that I noticed, other than the drink voucher (which I couldn't use because the pool bar shut early).

The rooms are nicely designed but very small and cramped. I had a SO Hip room, whose window was essentially a light well looking onto the opposite corridor (so you have to keep the privacy curtain closed all the time). I'd go crazy if I had to live there for more than a day or two. The bed was extremely comfortable and I slept very well. The iPad light control was fiddly and annoying (solution looking for a problem?), and the iPhone as a hotel phone a bit gimmicky.

The pool was fine for a few laps in the morning, but it's not really hit by sun outside a few hours in the afternoon because of the surrounding buildings. The area is a bit desolate unless you are there for work, and has little to none of the buzz of Orchard Road area, if that's what you're looking for.
I believe this is an excellent summary assessment of this hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
Just heard that the pool parties are coming back, so you might want to stay away from here on weekends.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AccorAll - Diamond Qantas - Platinum
Thumbs down

Checked in yesterday for 2 night stay. Have just reread my previous post and it is spot on. And now I'm just whinging....

Booked So studio room at a sale rate (same as previous visits), no mention of upgrade. Upon arriving at room I had to ask if this was room I paid for?! Was not acceptable imo. It is one of the triangular rooms on the curve of front of building. Long hallway takes up 25% of your 55sqm. queen bed only. Toilet room tiny due to angular walls. No tub. Triangular room means you can not watch the tv in bed.

Called down to confirm I had received room I booked. Yes I had. Enquired about plat benefit of avail upgrade. Was told no rooms avail. Checked, Vip room was avail on Accor app.

Received callback from person whom checked me in, clarifying I had asked for an upgrade. No That was incorrect, I called to confirm my room allocation and I was disappointed with it. He offered bottle of wine to appease me. Stating no upgrades avail.

At the same time requested ice bucket for drinks (bar fridges here don't work). Nothing arrived. Went out for 1 hour, nothing in room on arrival.

Finally wine arrives, go to door staff member juggling 2 plates and wine bucket at his feet on floor. Says to me, can I hold this, handing me a plate.

Comes in delivers wine and only 1 plate. I presume arrival amenity 3 hours late- Don't know wasn't told. Stated I requested ice bucket for cold drinks. He said it is coming. Never arrived.

Went up to pool ... No (official) pool party (that was last Friday night March 5th, just general 2for1 Friday night drinks for city workers. Quite the scene. We had great time.... Well had to return drinks twice as they were wrong order.

But sure enough poor hotel guest in bathrobe and slippers comes out of elevator shocked at scene. But got to hand it to her, She had a dip in front of 200 bargoers!!

Pool clean but pool tiles breaking off on steps not being replaced.

So as stated previously.... More design over function. Not enough hotel features. No special recognition of status. Too many negatives now for me.

PS the hawker food is fantastic! LOVE SIN!
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ozmouse
Went up to pool ... No (official) pool party (that was last Friday night March 5th, just general 2for1 Friday night drinks for city workers.
The official pool parties are on Saturday. Don't think there's one this weekend but there was one last weekend. Their facebook page has photos of it. They sometimes announce the next party there as well so do check before your next booking. Reviews on that site somehow also scores 4.4 out of 5, which is nowhere near what posts here would suggest.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
The official pool parties are on Saturday. Don't think there's one this weekend but there was one last weekend. Their facebook page has photos of it. They sometimes announce the next party there as well so do check before your next booking. Reviews on that site somehow also scores 4.4 out of 5, which is nowhere near what posts here would suggest.
Yes my mistake ... saturday march 5th. friday nights are 2 for 1 drinks special designed for local workers i suspect.

Yes quite different reviews... i'm guessing different clientele/demographics between the 2 forums. gen x v gen y. asian v european. business v holiday. For people wanting a highly stylized urban experience, they will be impressed. For seasoned travelers (incl accor members), whom enjoy new experiences but still expect traditional hotel services, might review differently.

i fall into the gen x holiday traveller accor member categories. I was attracted by the So brand after my bangkok So experiences. But as stated, this property falls short for me.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by ozmouse
For people wanting a highly stylized urban experience, they will be impressed. For seasoned travelers (incl accor members), whom enjoy new experiences but still expect traditional hotel services, might review differently.
I'm gen-y, Asian, and for this demographics, while the iPhone-related things can be interesting, and most have a taste for funky designs, they still wouldn't like tiny triangular shoe boxes, refused upgrades when rooms are available, failed room services after multiple requests, or broken pool tiles not being replaced.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
I'm gen-y, Asian, and for this demographics, while the iPhone-related things can be interesting, and most have a taste for funky designs, they still wouldn't like tiny triangular shoe boxes, refused upgrades when rooms are available, failed room services after multiple requests, or broken pool tiles not being replaced.
LOL.... yep.... we on same page then! so i cant explain the FB reviews then.

PS ... ipad thingy room control flaky. sure you can turn off the lights with the ipad. but the bathroom wall switch wouldnt work....
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:15 am

Without a doubt, the most disappointing Accor stay I have had in recent years. As a platinum we received complimentary breakfast and welcome drink voucher; however, despite all room types showing as bookable on the day of arrival, we did not receive any upgrade from the So Cosy room booked and probably received one of the worst rooms in the hotel. There were no coffee pods in the room for the machine. Pool area was very depressing. Location was not good for a Saturday night stay.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:34 am

Here are some pics of our studio room which was one of the 2 triangular rooms on the corner of the hotel overlooking front entrance

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133374.../shares/SU6Y0H

missing pool tiles

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133374.../shares/6fC54R

here is 2 pics from my so lofty room last year... no complaints there...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133374.../shares/68H1AQ

Last edited by ozmouse; Mar 15, 2016 at 4:28 am Reason: incorrect url
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by KezzaKawasaki
Without a doubt, the most disappointing Accor stay I have had in recent years. As a platinum we received complimentary breakfast and welcome drink voucher; however, despite all room types showing as bookable on the day of arrival, we did not receive any upgrade from the So Cosy room booked and probably received one of the worst rooms in the hotel. There were no coffee pods in the room for the machine. Pool area was very depressing. Location was not good for a Saturday night stay.
We were lucky ..... we got 1 reg & 1 decaf pod (never replaced at evening turndown if used during the day so no coffee in the morning). And 1 each of black, green, chamomile, and mint tea. What do hotels think when 2 people share a room, we share 1 tea bag? When i asked for more tea from housekeeping at evening turndown, she asked which one.... and i got 1! I then asked for 1 of each!!

Location is an issue for taxis. Pickup location is at back of hotel, which is not known by some of the taxis/ubers. Some taxis will not pick up on robinson at the front. Complicating this, is side street is blocked every evening for lau pa sat satay market, furter restricting access to hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by KezzaKawasaki
Experienced the same fate when higher rate room are bookable but refuse to upgrade.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by yauee
Experienced the same fate when higher rate room are bookable but refuse to upgrade.
If one is plat and they see the higher rate room available to book, wouldn't politely asking for the manager and telling him that work? for the upgrade?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by bluecrabs
If one is plat and they see the higher rate room available to book, wouldn't politely asking for the manager and telling him that work? for the upgrade?
Was told manager not around. Maybe due to the rate we pay :-) hopefully only happens to us not others. Once with So Lofty and once with So Studio.

Last edited by yauee; Mar 15, 2016 at 6:09 am
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by bluecrabs
Tis true, none of the staff at the So have name tags, so you have no idea whom you are speaking with. In my case the person whom checked me in called back after my phone query over my room to the "solution desk" to repeat there are no upgrades avail.

Ill even go far to say you know your not getting your upgrade when they dont even confirm your room booking. They will confirm your check out date, but they dont repeat the room category at checkin, knowing they are not meeting expectations. (hence the reason i had to call to confirm i was allocated my correct room).

In the case of these optional upgrades, I usually don't pull the "can i speak with a manager" line. I give the person i am dealing with a second chance and I usually rephrase my question, quite pointedly, "you say you can NOT blah blah blah....". In this case, it was clarification that the offer of a bottle of wine was being offered instead of a change of room, then it is rather closed conversation imo.

Following a stay last year at the hotel, where i did make a written complaint about noise, i was in possession of an asst mgr bus card. But after the poor response last year (ie only email contact and letter and bus card on 2nd arrival, with no solution), i did not pursue management response this year.

Of course this is quite different to when checking in to M Gallery Hoi An on same trip, I introduced to customer service manager at check in (hotel manager called room after check in), F&B manager and hotel manager during stay, and am offered cards and approached during stay (and already given upgrade), i would contact anyone of them without hesitation. But course ... there was no need.... they were proactive!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by yauee
Was told manager not around. Maybe due to the rate we pay :-) hopefully only happens to us not others. Once with So Lofty and once with So Studio.
Yes .... VERY good point!! does rate have anything to do with upgrades?!

I was on the 40% supersale rate. (and usually am on leisure trips)

But on this trip i got 1 cat upgrade, 1 double cat upgrade and no upgrade.

At christmas it was 50% success on upgrade.

Obviously depends on hotel occupancy .... and quite simply how hotel treats accor membership imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.