Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accor/ ALL: experiences with best price guarantee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gdoubleu
Sections in this WikiPost
Last Revision Date: November 29th 2023

Updates
  • 202404 Update: Accor Customer Care seems to process BPG claims switfly, usually within 24 hours!
  • 20231129 Update: The BPG form now has a checklist for your to ensure you have cross checked information.
  • 20231110 Update:
    - Looks like Accor Customer Service has rolled out a more "hands off" posture to making sure BPG's (when approved) are reflected. The language is now like: "The BPG was approved, the follow up with the hotel, contact..."
    - Properties in Macau are not part of the BPG program anymore

Introduction
Welcome to Accor's Best Price Guarantee ("BPG") policy, one of the industry's most generous price matching and discount policies!

I have had dozens of Accor bookings price-matched successfully across many brands, and of course a few of them being denied. I wanted to write about my experience as it could be quite frustrating and time consuming to get it right, read on!

What is the Accor BPG?
The Accor BPG allows you:
- to have your Accor.com rate price matched after sighting of a cheaper rate on a third-party website
- AND to receive either a 10 or 25% discount on the third-party rate (see Discount Rate)
All of that under certain conditions.

You can read the full Accor BPG terms in English at: https://all.accor.com/information/be...tions.en.shtml

Brands Eligible for the BPG

Per Article 2 of the BPG:
"The hotels covered by “Best Price Guarantee” are as follows:

All hotels in the Accor Group (Fairmont, Raffles, Swissôtel, Sofitel, So Sofitel, Sofitel Legend, Pullman, MGallery, Mövenpick, Grand Mercure, The Sebel, Novotel, Novotel Suites, Mercure, Adagio, Adagio Access, Jo&Joe, Ibis, Ibis Styles, Ibis budget, HotelF1, hôtels Orbis, 21C Museum Hotel, Orient Express), and hotels of certain partners (i.e. Mama Shelter, Hypark by Adagio)"

The following are not eligible for "Best Price Guarantee": 25Hours, Angsana, ArtSeries, BanyanTree, BreakFree, Cassia, Delano, Dhawa, Elan, Greet, Hanting, Hi inn, Hyde, Ji, Mantis, Mantra, Manxin, Mondrian, Onefinestay, PepperS, Rixos, Sbe, SLS, Starway, The House Of Originals, Tribe.

“Best Price Guarantee” does not apply to hotels in the Macao special administrative region."

Note that Banyan Tree maintains its own 20% price matching guarantee that's available at https://www.banyantree.com/best-price-guarantee
Learn more on the Banyan Tree Price matching at Banyan Tree Best Price Guarantee

Discount Rate
The discount rate is 25% for all properties included in the Brand Eligibible, except for Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel, which attract a 10% discount.

Data Points: third-Party Sites known to work for the BPG

I had claims approved for the following sites:

BPG 101

For your BPG claim to be accepted, the BPG Article 1.1 states that matched property on the third-party site needs to be "for the same hotel, for the same date(s), the same length of stay, at the same rate conditions (i.e. refundable or non-refundable, prepayment and deposit requirements, room only or with breakfast included, booking cancellation and change condition), the same type of room (identical category, size, beds, view or location) and the same number of people in the room"

Accor's Customer Service pays great attention to the conditions attached to your third-party booking, down the to the actual time (not just only the date) of the cancellation policy (e.g.: your claim may not be approved if the cancellation policy says September 28th, 18:00 on Accor.com and September 28th, 17:59 on the third-party website). Occupancy is also often overlooked. Even if for some region, the occupancy on your booking does not impact the room pricing, the occupancy needs to match, in writing, between your Accor.com booking and your third-party price.

BPG Process

To lodge a claim, you need to submit screenshots of a third-party booking site, that has the same room for the same dates (and other conditions, see BPG 101), at a lower price. These screenshots will need to who clearly the URL of the third-party site, as well as the time when they were taken. There is a 24-hour grace period between your Accor.com booking and the sighting of the cheaper rate on the third-party website.

Once submitted, your claim has a claim number (which is just a Customer Service ticket number), which you receive by email. Accor Customer Service then follows up to let you know of the status of your claim. There is no guaranteed time as to when Customer Service is due to get back to you.

If your claim is approved, Customer Service generally lets you know. They inform you they have requested the price-matched property to update your booking rate. Once the property does that, you receive an email with the subject: "Modification of your reservation <Name of Property> <Booking ID>" with the details of the new rate.

The application of the new rate usually follows the following rules:
  • The discount (either 10 or 25%, see Discount Rate) is applied on the "naked room rate", that is the rate free of government taxes, resort fee, "taxe de sejour", etc... Taxes are then applied on the discounted rate per the tax requirements in each country/region/location.
  • After applying the discount on your booking rate, the Property usually linearize the rate over the days on your booking so that the same rate will apply to all the nights in your stay even if the rate fluctuated in your original booking.

Q&A
  • Can I use the BPG if I have an Accor traveler card (e.g.: ALL PLUS Voyageur)? The BPG applies to ALL PLUS Voyageur Card holders, provided the third-party rate complies with the BPG requirements (See BPG 101). Given the discounts you may already benefit from with ALL PLUS, the chance of finding a third-party rate is slimmer, but not nonexistent. It may make economic sense to submit a BPG claim using "just" the Accor member rate.
  • Until when can I submit a BPG Claim? Per Article 4.2, "requests must be submitted within 24 hours following confirmation of the Eligible Booking [Accor.com booking] and no later than 48 hours before the planned arrival at the hotel.". "48 hours" here means that you can lodge a claim until 23:59 two days before your check-in date.
  • What happens if my BPG Claim is not processed prior to my stay starting? Should you have lodged on time and your BPG came to be approved after your stay has started, Customer Service will be in touch to organize a refund via the Property where you stayed (and paid full price)
  • What can I do if my claim is not answered within 2 weeks? You can:
    • Resubmit the same claim mentioning the Claim # of the original claim with the original documents
    • Send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] – they will sometimes create a new claim on your behalf or influence the original one
    • Send an email to [email protected] – Since 2023, these are the folks that Customer Service escalates claims to
  • I can't lodge a BPG Claim, my browser show a red banner when I submit one, what should I do? Lodge your BPG again in an Incognito or private browser window, that will fix it.
  • What if my claim isn't responded to by the time I check out? This is last resort, but I advise you lodge a chargeback with your credit card company. I had success doing that.

Beware: Accor Customer Service
I encountered countless time when Customer Service was negligent when process BPG claims:
- Rates from the third-party website are misread ("naked room rate" vs total amount, currency...)
- Customer Service tends to apply a blanket 10% discount on bookings (ignoring that most brands attract a 25% discount)

Some other times, the property would play some tactics:
- I had one property tell me that I could have booked a cheaper rate on Accor.com (but that was still higher than the third-party rate), effectively reneging the application of the BPG Claim (I did not push further).
- I had one property crediting a rate difference post-checkout via Accor points.

Tips & Tricks
  • If a claim has not been answered promptly (within 7 days), Accor Customer Service sometimes issues 2,000 Reward points. I keep asking every time this happens, and this is not always granted, but you can try.
  • If you have an Accor Traveler Card (e.g.: ALL PLUS Voyageur), to increase your chances of finding a lower rate, you can book the regular Accor member rate on Accor.com by signing out from your Accor account on the room selection page. The booking will still be attached to your Accor.com account (same email) AND you will receive the benefits attached to your status.
  • For your screenshots, make sure that a time shows. I always make sure that time shows in the menu bar of my OS, along with the timezone.
  • Using Skyscanner.com has greatly reduced the time for me to do searches.
  • I was able to get a BPG claim approved for a rate showing as "Complimentary Breakfast on Weekends" which is provided by the Accor status, but could be ground for rejection.

BPG Claim Sweet Spots
There are several brand sweet spots for BPG claim should you want to optimize, they all receive a 25% discount over your third-party sighting:
  • Sofitel
  • So Sofitel
  • Pullman

Common Pitfalls
I am able to reach a 95% success rate with my BPG, and this is my checklist:
  • Room type: are the room types strictly equivalent? Beware of the small variation in room type names (like street view, vs park view). Twin beds room or King bed room are two different types in the eyes of the BPG
  • Room rate: the room rate, that is the price of your booking exclusive of any government/local/resort taxes needs is what gets compared for the claim. Accor sometimes calculates taxes differently from third-parties (go figure!) and third-parties are also sometimes not including some taxes into the displayed price.
  • Occupancy: when you make a booking on Accor.com, you specify an occupancy (i.e.: the number of people who will stay in the room). That occupancy needs to show the same amount of adults on the third-party sighting.
  • Booking currency: make sure you are comparing stays with the same currencies. I submitted USD vs AUD (Australia Dollar) claims by mistake, leading to rejection.
  • Cancellation Policy Penalty: for when you compare cancellable bookings, the Accor BPG will apply all the way to the penalty. If Accor.com says the penalty for cancelling after a certain day/time is 1 night, the 3rd-party needs to have the same penalty.

Things I have not tried
  • Submitting a BPG for a Suite Night ("SN") booking

Banyan Tree Best Price Guarantee
Banyan Tree properties is not included into Accor's Best Price Guarantee, that means you cannot submit a claim for a BPG from Accor.com, following you booking a Banyan Tree property on accor.com. That being said, Banyan Tree has its own BPG for when you book on banyantree.com. There are few caveats though:
  • Banyan Tree BPG policy starts as soon as you find a lower rate (same room, same cancellation policy...). That means findings a rate that's lower by just $1 (or the local currency equivalent) will trigger the policy
  • Banyan Tree, when applying the policy, will shave off 20% off your rate, but will wave all Accor benefits should you be in an Accor tier. They may or may not let you know. You will also not be allows to earn/burn points from when the policy is applied.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: A|Club Gold, HHonors Silver, TAP Miles winner

Since tis matter was raised in a previous post, I thought I should start this thread and share some of my recent accor experience. I normally book Ibis hotels when visiting Europe, and have decided to test the BPG of Accor. They claim this is a reason to book with them.

I have made a few trials with that and despite the fact that I found cheaper prices elsewhere, the price garantee was always turned down. I even found a cheaper price with breakfast and they claimed this was a different rate from the one I had booked (which did not include breakfast) because of the breakfast, and they do not give lowest price guarantee for "packages".

In another instance, I had booked a cancellable rate and on another website found another rate that was cancellable as well, but with a different deadline. I know that these are not technically the same, but honoring the "spirit" of the price guarantee would go a long way towards gaining loyal customers.

This is frustrating because basically accor sells rooms to third parties and these offer lower rates than accor. Assuming third parties do not make a loss, and accor would not sell the rooms to them at a loss either, I find it hard ot undrstand why accor does not honor the price guarantee without turning to little schemes like "packages" and slightly different deadlines.

I know that this post could read any-other-hotel-chain best price guarantee (with the honorable exception of Marriott). But perhaps others can share positive experiences with the price guarantee.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
I didn't even realize that Accor had a best rate guarantee. On which sites did you find cheaper prices? I've tried several BRG claims in France with Opodo and Go Voyages but never tried Accor. In both cases it took 1-2 weeks to even get a response, one positive and one negative. I've also made several claims to Thalys due to delays with mostly negative results.In general I would say that US or UK based companies are much more consumer friendly, but will also be quite strict about finding the exact same room with the same conditions (including breakfast or not). If the guarantee only offers to cover the difference and no other compensation I would suggest booking on the competitor sites.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

FYI, the cheaper rates were at gtahotels.com I have read some mixed reviews about this website (problems with refunds), and though they are affilliated with a major operator, metglobal I think, I really did not want to risk losing my money.
The other thing is that I needed to book a rate that was not paid in advance so that I could use my accor voucher, as well as my parents, so I really needed to book direct with accor.

Interestingly what they lack in terms of price guarantee (I repeat that following the spirit of the guarantee would go a long way towards winning me over) they make up for in speed of reply. All within a couple of days.

I did book a couple of novotels, then ibis (consecutively), since gtahotels systematically had better prices for them in the same city. and all of these guarantees were refused. One I replied back (the one with breakfast), but got the same lame excuse (it is a non-comparable package).

Finally, for some reason I have found gtahotels offer interesting deals. I tried to invoke a price guarantee (non-existent in those cases) a while back with 2 german minor hotels chains. How come gta had rates 40€ or more lower than the hotels websites? However, I got the reply from both hotels that they could not offer the same rate. I really don't get it? In economic terms, selling below cost is called dumping and is often illegal in some countries for competition reasons - so if gta is not dumping, why doesn't the chain price match???

In booking 2 upcoming trips (Cologne and Brussels), I have come a loooooong way to learning how to optimize the quality for price. I am even using Hilton points for a few nights and then switching to Novotel to use my accor voucher. I have always been a fan of Ibis (and novotel, if the offer was good), but now I know how to get a 4-5 star hotel for the price of Ibis. Let's call this the Priceline route . So it is likely that Accor have in fact lost a pretty good customer with their inability to price match.

Last edited by pcg2001; Oct 19, 2009 at 4:09 pm Reason: typos...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
You have brought up some interesting points!

I have worked for IHG and know that they not only match and offer a 10% discount, but they also fine the hotel for making a lower rate available to the public. Lower rates are good, as long as they are not made available to the general public (ex. group rates, priceline, ect).

I am now a Marriott Gold Elite member and have used their BRG several times with no problems. Answers usually come within 2-4 hours of submitting the BRG.

Once the competing rate had breakfast included. Marriott matched the lower rate, took off 25%, plus took off the breakfast. This made for a heck of a deal!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:02 am
Original Poster

I have now made a suggestion about this on the new feedback page of Accor.

http://accorhotels-en.ideas.feedback...th-no-quibbles
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:18 pm

Just a thought…..maybe try applying for a chargeback with your credit card supplier. Charges for goods or services different from what was represented are a viable reason for chargebacks.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by nicksman
Just a thought…..maybe try applying for a chargeback with your credit card supplier. Charges for goods or services different from what was represented are a viable reason for chargebacks.
accor has the right to deny a best rate claim on the basis of what the op wrote. this is not an accor issue, all hotel operators will deny a best rate claim on these grounds.

as the op said, her main objective was to use the voucher, then she should've contacted the hotel upfront and tried to get a deal with them if that's so important.

Last edited by nvoi; Nov 4, 2009 at 5:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nvoi
accor has the right to deny a best rate claim on the basis of what the op wrote. this is not an accor issue, all hotel operators will deny a best rate claim on these grounds.

as the op said, her main objective was to use the voucher, then she should've contacted the hotel upfront and tried to get a deal with them if that's so important.
I never thought of contacting the hotel directly to be honest Will do so next time. Thanks for the reminder.

PS: and I am aware of how these price guarantees operate. helas they don't exist to assist the customer.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:06 pm

Accor BRG is a true nightmare

Just want to add one data point to this topic.

I was so pissed off by the experience requesting BRG from Accor. Booked the hotel and submitted the original request within 24 hours. Then 5 days waiting without even a declining message from Accor. Resubmitted on 28th with some complaining, still, no email, no call, no nothing. I mean, I understood that all of the BRG programs really couldn't care less whether you get a better price or not. But come on, totally ignore the request by just make no voice? That's just lower than the lowest.

Accor make the BRG rules extremely favoring themself, like the customer need to submit the BRG request with 24 hours of the reservation, and the better price has to be good on the time THEY MAKE THE VERIFICATION, etc. Yet they didn't give any timeline for themselves to process the requests.

And how about contact them directly? They list no email no phone number on their website for you to call except their the reservation center. People in the reservation department will tell you they are not allowed to make outbound call thus can not transfer you to an other department

All in all, my words to Accor is: if you don't want to do the BRG, or are not capable to do it, Don't even bother to start this service. Don't waste our time!!!!!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
I also submitted a claim a week ago and got no reply whatsoever. Cancelled the res and stayed elsewhere.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Thumbs down Novotel/Accor's BPG - No joy

Booked a room on www.novotel.com for a night in their new Taipei Novotel.

Found on www.hotelclub.com exactly the same room with the same conditions for a lower price.

Used the BPG form on novotel's website.

Got an email reply from their France office 2 or 3 days later, telling me that the BPG is not applicable since the price on www.hotelclub.com is higher.

Wrote back to them with a pdf printout of the page from www.hotelclub.com which clearly shows the lower price.

Then got one back from accor with a printout from their checking on lm.hotelclub.net which shows a higher price than what I found on www.hotelclub.com

So instead of honouring a BPG, they went searching for a price higher than what I found on the same website. This is how they treat someone who stays away from home in hotels for more than 200 nights (nothing within the Accor chain) per year.

Good bye Accor/Novotel and let's never meet again!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:34 am

requested BRG from Accor 4 days ago. no reply, no confirmation.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:38 pm

I just want to share a similar experience. Booked 3 nights with an Ibis Hotel. There was the usual full prize rate and a no cancellation/no refund rate to chose from on the accor page. I chose the latter, but later that day found an even 20% cheaper price somewhere else (also standard room, no refund, no cancellation). So, I did all the application procedure to make use of the best price guarantee (the form for that is imho terribly hard to find on the page, considering all those big ads advertising the bpg!). Of course, my application was turned down, according to them I had booked a Happy20 package (when you book it, it is just called Happy20 without the 'package') and the bpg does not apply to packages (although from what I can see from my booking documents, the other rate had exactly the same conditions). So appearently, when you book some reduced rate, it is very unlikely that you'll have a chance to get bpg. I then searched the web and found not a single person, to report of a successful application for the bpg. Each time (also for full prize rates) their appeal is just turned down, claiming that the cheaper prize from a non-accor page is of a different rate. What annoys me the most here, is that there is no easy way a customer can tell whether his rate actually applies for bpg, as all information is hidden in the small print (on pages you find after following several links) and accor just turnes down your application without any explaination. This brings me to the conclusion that the whole bgp with 10% price minus is just a big customer scam to get people to book directly on the accor site. This is certainly not the way to get loyal customers. What's your opinion and experiences? if anybody was ever lucky with bpg please share that with the forum.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Welcome to FlyerTalk traveller99___1
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:00 pm

requested BRG, they replied 8 days later, and of course it was a negative reply - saying that the booking conditions are not the same (I refered them to www.hotelclub.com which offered the same hotel/room for much lower price, and both rates were non-refundable, the same bed configuration, etc...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.