FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Accor/ Le Club: experiences with best price guarantee
Old Oct 19, 09, 12:24 pm
pcg2001

Programs: A|Club Gold, HHonors Silver, TAP Miles winner
FYI, the cheaper rates were at gtahotels.com I have read some mixed reviews about this website (problems with refunds), and though they are affilliated with a major operator, metglobal I think, I really did not want to risk losing my money.
The other thing is that I needed to book a rate that was not paid in advance so that I could use my accor voucher, as well as my parents, so I really needed to book direct with accor.

Interestingly what they lack in terms of price guarantee (I repeat that following the spirit of the guarantee would go a long way towards winning me over) they make up for in speed of reply. All within a couple of days.

I did book a couple of novotels, then ibis (consecutively), since gtahotels systematically had better prices for them in the same city. and all of these guarantees were refused. One I replied back (the one with breakfast), but got the same lame excuse (it is a non-comparable package).

Finally, for some reason I have found gtahotels offer interesting deals. I tried to invoke a price guarantee (non-existent in those cases) a while back with 2 german minor hotels chains. How come gta had rates 40€ or more lower than the hotels websites? However, I got the reply from both hotels that they could not offer the same rate. I really don't get it? In economic terms, selling below cost is called dumping and is often illegal in some countries for competition reasons - so if gta is not dumping, why doesn't the chain price match???

In booking 2 upcoming trips (Cologne and Brussels), I have come a loooooong way to learning how to optimize the quality for price. I am even using Hilton points for a few nights and then switching to Novotel to use my accor voucher. I have always been a fan of Ibis (and novotel, if the offer was good), but now I know how to get a 4-5 star hotel for the price of Ibis. Let's call this the Priceline route . So it is likely that Accor have in fact lost a pretty good customer with their inability to price match.

Last edited by pcg2001; Oct 19, 09 at 4:09 pm Reason: typos...