Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Also the way I see it, I can not purchase the trial prefered any sooner than Februray 20 which would put me right at the 90 day mark on my return of 5/20. I worry that I will somehow get bumped or delayed and if I didn't fly until 5/21 I am out of luck. I may wait and purchase on 2/21 just to be safe, but would that risk that this Preferred trial might not have been finalized in time for the trip on 2/22 to count?
Now realized after browsing fares is that the only way I can leave SAN on 5/20 is if I either skip the rest of the conference I am attending or take the red eye (ugh). So I might need to be certain I buy the trail preferred on 2/21 and then take my last flight for the qualification on 5/21.

I would love an upgrade on the SAN or the LAX trips but I realize that is going to be pretty iffy. But I have more travel coming in the rest of the year so I would still be able use the benefits of preferred for those flights.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: US Air, United
Is buying up worth it?

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
CLT-PHX, CLT-LAX, SAN-CLT are tough upgrades for silver and or Gold. But do able if you possibly fly on weekends. PHX-RNO is a easy upgrade for Silver. Now if you want to upgrade for the emergency exit, remember that any flight out of CLT to your cities will be tough since some times even PP wont get the upgrades.
I live in CLT. I am assuming from your post that most upgrades out of CLT are difficult to obtain for silver or maybe most any level. I am sure maybe that the free bag checks will be paid for by my travel this year although frankly I could go to Europe with a carry on for three weeks (and I have actually). So is it even worth it?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I assumed your orignal post was talking about upgrades, since you talked about your transcon flights. As I posted in other post, there are other perks that comes with Silver. It all depends on what its worth to you, no one else can make that judgement call. Now if there is a Silver challanage happening right now, go for that... You should be able to upgrade from Silver to Gold for a fee which is pretty cheap comparied to a paid ticket. But you need to get your miles in before the trial peorid is up tho.

Originally Posted by cmckee1961
I live in CLT. I am assuming from your post that most upgrades out of CLT are difficult to obtain for silver or maybe most any level. I am sure maybe that the free bag checks will be paid for by my travel this year although frankly I could go to Europe with a carry on for three weeks (and I have actually). So is it even worth it?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL MM PM, HH Diamond, National EE
Clarification Question in T&C's for Trial Preferred

"Dividend Miles member must fly minimum amount of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for remainder of program year."

What are the minimum amount of miles or segments for each level? Let's say I buy in at gold and end up gold - during the 90 day period ... what level of activity has to occur after the 90 days for the remainder of the year? Thx for the help. I am considering leaving Delta where I am a 1.9 Million Miler but I've simply had enough.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by flyingdeltasince85
...What are the minimum amount of miles or segments for each level? Let's say I buy in at gold and end up gold - during the 90 day period ... what level of activity has to occur after the 90 days for the remainder of the year? ...
From the website page
Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
Chairmans: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments
Status attained through Trial Preferred now is good til Feb, 2012 (end of program year). No further flights are needed for the rest of this calendar year (but it seems pointless having US status and not flying US )

Best wishes.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
Since the newly attained status only runs through Feb 2012, does anyone know I am able to qualify for following years? I signed up for the trial this week, and will have enough segments by the end of the trial for at least gold status. Anyone know how status for the following program year will work for me??.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by Stu71584
...Anyone know how status for the following program year will work for me??.
To keep status attained from Trial Preferred for the following program year (Mar 2012-Feb2013), you'd have to do the normal requirements (e.g. Gold @ 50k EQMs/60 segments) between January-December 2011.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: DL MM PM, HH Diamond, National EE
Thanks Kudzu - great information everyone. Appreciate the guidance. I think I'm going to get a Delta Divorce ... and I clearly will have to weene myself quickly! US is less expensive for the days and times I want to fly, have more direct options within the Northeast and it appears I may even see some benefits from being a repeat customer. Who could ask for more right?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by kudzu
To keep status attained from Trial Preferred for the following program year (Mar 2012-Feb2013), you'd have to do the normal requirements (e.g. Gold @ 50k EQMs/60 segments) between January-December 2011.
A tiny additional clarification. The miles accumulated during the Trial Preferred count also to normal status. Thus the 30,000 TP miles you need for Chairman count to the 100,000 you ned to keep Chairman. The extra EQM you get also count.

This program was great for me, in that I made CP with only six segments. The thresholds for the three month TP qualification are higher on an annualized basis than the normal ones. (ie: 30,000 miles in 90 days for CP equates to 120,000 annually, and CP is only 100,000 normally). As a result if you make a trail status in normal flying you'll have no problem retaining it if you continue the year in the same fashion.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:49 pm
Formerly known as quyinhong

Programs: SPG-Plat HHonors-Gold IHG-RA US-CP
A little question, during the period of trial preferred status, is it possible that I accumulate the miles to another FF program, such as CO? Do these miles count toward the requirement of keeping the status in US? Can I get elite bonus from these miles? Or I have to be a CO elite member to get bonus miles? Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by quyinhong
A little question, during the period of trial preferred status, is it possible that I accumulate the miles to another FF program, such as CO? Do these miles count toward the requirement of keeping the status in US? Can I get elite bonus from these miles? Or I have to be a CO elite member to get bonus miles? Thanks!
Unfortunately you cannot. You need to have your US DM number on the reservation for it to count toward the preferred trial. You will not get credit toward the trial if you use your CO number instead.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 6:55 pm
Formerly known as quyinhong

Programs: SPG-Plat HHonors-Gold IHG-RA US-CP
Originally Posted by no0neelse
Unfortunately you cannot. You need to have your US DM number on the reservation for it to count toward the preferred trial. You will not get credit toward the trial if you use your CO number instead.
Thank you! no0neelse

Was thinking CO mile seems more valuable than US miles, but there is no elite challenge in CO.

I will fly on US metal quite often next several months, might reach 30,000 miles during 3 months. Can I get a star alliance gold card as soon as the trial gold preferred starts? Or I have to wait until the end of the trial?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Thank you! no0neelse

Was thinking CO mile seems more valuable than US miles, but there is no elite challenge in CO.

I will fly on US metal quite often next several months, might reach 30,000 miles during 3 months. Can I get a star alliance gold card as soon as the trial gold preferred starts? Or I have to wait until the end of the trial?
I reached gold a couple of weeks ago during the trial. I haven't received a card, but my status reflected star aliance gold as soon as I reached gold.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

During the trail period you need to call US DM and have them send you a card, they wont just send one to you.

Thank you! no0neelse

Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

You'll have to call US DM to have them send you a card.

Originally Posted by tothetrail
I reached gold a couple of weeks ago during the trial. I haven't received a card, but my status reflected star aliance gold as soon as I reached gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.