Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by jccfly
Another stunt by United!!!! No one will be denied boarding with a confirmed seat!!! Since a Basic Economy fare holder does not have a confirmed seat, so it is rightful not to allow the passenger to board! The company can stretch it further by not refunding money to the passenger for the rightful reason that the ticket is not refundable and changeable!!! Wow!! What a good way to boost bottom line! All managers who has a profit sharing plan will see a bonus check for the year of increased bottom line, but may loose his/her job when the company file Chapter 11 or restructuring! The unfortunate part is losing all loyal customers along the way. Of course UA does not care since they can file another Chapter 11 and start all over again!!!Way to go, United!!
UA is NOT going to sell a BE ticket, refuse to board that person, keep their money, and then file Chapter 11.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another stunt by United!!!! No one will be denied boarding with a confirmed seat!!! Since a Basic Economy fare holder does not have a confirmed seat, so it is rightful not to allow the passenger to board! The company can stretch it further by not refunding money to the passenger for the rightful reason that the ticket is not refundable and changeable!!! Wow!! What a good way to boost bottom line! All managers who has a profit sharing plan will see a bonus check for the year of increased bottom line, but may loose his/her job when the company file Chapter 11 or restructuring! The unfortunate part is losing all loyal customers along the way. Of course UA does not care since they can file another Chapter 11 and start all over again!!!Way to go, United!!
They have a confirmed place on the plane, they just won't get a seat assignment until check in and it will be assigned for them from whatever is left. But yes, I suspect they will the first to be deboarded or not allowed to board in an oversold situation but they will be taken care of just like any other passenger that gets denied boarding though maybe not as many options.

The ticket is not refundable or changeable by the customer, UA can change it or refund it as needed. Most of your post is just nonsense.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by ermintrude
The inability to upfare to Y within 24 hours of booking for most pax would be most relevant for BE corporate bookings, that's why I mentioned it. It's been mentioned before by others (for this reason) as well.
My corporate booking engine didn't block BE fares. I dropped a note to UA about how people like me (Fortune 10 firm) need the ability to up-fare in the first 24 hours. Got a boiler plate non-response.

Five days later, and many many complaints on our internal blog on travel policy the company announced BE fares would be blocked on our booking engine. It seems once UA loaded them widely and high status pax started getting E- middle seats, calmer heads prevailed.

Perhaps this is part of UA's thinking - some early pain for business fliers, but the big corporate firms will add filters to prevent these fares from being purchased in the first place, so no need to add up-fare flexibility.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw, summer "tax".

David
Not sure about that, as both RT flights searched were in the summer season.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Not sure about that, as both RT flights searched were in the summer season.
Yes, but summer pricing can be all over the map depending on how fast the flights fill up. Demand is far higher and a number of folks have been saving up their miles for family trips as well.

David
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
No one will be denied boarding with a confirmed seat!!! Since a Basic Economy fare holder does not have a confirmed seat
I believe the policy change is that no one will be denied boarding once they are on the airplane. Having a seat assignment does not exempt a passenger from being involuntarily denied boarding.

Any ticket, including a BE ticket, can be a confirmed reservation even though it does not have a seat assignment.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just noticed that GF is now actively flagging quite clearly UA fares that are BE. Interestingly though they aren't flagging DL fares.

I wonder what gives on the back-end that's preventing GF from passing through the DL BE fare info but allows them to flag the UA fares. Either way it's a big negative for UA
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Just noticed that GF is now actively flagging quite clearly UA fares that are BE. Interestingly though they aren't flagging DL fares.

I wonder what gives on the back-end that's preventing GF from passing through the DL BE fare info but allows them to flag the UA fares. Either way it's a big negative for UA
GF only flags fares with no carry on bag allowed. Wizz Air and Wow Air flights are also flagged.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1353513636
GF only flags fares with no carry on bag allowed. Wizz Air and Wow Air flights are also flagged.
Ah got it - that's unfortunate for UA. Makes their decision on that front even more boneheaded since it's flagged up front.

Looking at our corporate booking tool (Fortune 50 company) it seems that Concur does display Basic Economy fares where they exist but also lists other fares that are in policy (anything within $200 of lowest logical fare) so anyone paying attention can book away from the Basic Economy fares as long as the spread is less than $200 (this looks to hold true regardless of airline).
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Click thru to book that Google Flights fare, however, and the first Delta screen shows it's a Basic Economy fare, with restrictions delineated and a check-to -accept box (with the higher Main Cabin fare shown and available for purchase as temptation).
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
$30 premium to escape BE SFO-SAN but only $15 SAN-SFO. Why the difference?

UA BE matches the WN and Alaska/Virgin fares. So basically $45 more to fly UA for the same level of service as the other airlines.

For the first time in years, UA has me checking other airlines for airfares rather than just booking UA without fare shopping. I booked AS for the first time last month since I became a UA flyer!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by skylane

UA BE matches the WN and Alaska/Virgin fares. So basically $45 more to fly UA for the same level of service as the other airlines.

For the first time in years, UA has me checking other airlines for airfares rather than just booking UA without fare shopping. I booked AS for the first time last month since I became a UA flyer!
United believes, because of its superior network and schedule, that it can obtain a premuim on SFO-originating traffic. There's more competition for SAN-based customers and the pricing is tighter. This is why judging BE on SFO-originating fares provides an inaccurate picture.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Probably a typo. Domestic fare tables are more or less perfectly symmetric, so there was likely a specific fare with the wrong differential. I don't see it right now.

Yeah.. California short haul is a terrible place to try to price compete like this. The non-major competition (VX, AS, WN) all offers arguably a better product than regular UA Y, and the prices are always super competitive. People might not notice a $15 fare difference in a market like SFO-WAS, but they sure will on SFO-LAX where the baseline is $49 or $59 to start.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

It was a $30 total premium to escape BE on CLE-ORD-RST/RST-ORD-CLE...

Since this is a "non-revenue" trip for the company I have to book lowest available and almost got forced into BE until I pointed out its numerous drawbacks. Had I been forced to book BE for UA I would have shopped other carriers and other airports to avoid id.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Duke787
Ah got it - that's unfortunate for UA. Makes their decision on that front even more boneheaded since it's flagged up front.

Looking at our corporate booking tool (Fortune 50 company) it seems that Concur does display Basic Economy fares where they exist but also lists other fares that are in policy (anything within $200 of lowest logical fare) so anyone paying attention can book away from the Basic Economy fares as long as the spread is less than $200 (this looks to hold true regardless of airline).
The warning says: "United's Basic Economy fare limits carry-on bags to one small personal item, such as a purse or laptop bag. All other baggage must be checked for a fee"

Then under the flight time it says "carry-on bags restricted"

That said, it could use a big red box, moving fast you might miss it.

But there was a big difference when I just looked. I just booked SFO-SEA-SFO out on Sunday 6/11, back on Tuesday 6/13. Delta just has a regular fare and it cost me $479 RT. United offers me a $447 with all of the warnings, and then when directed to the UA site, UA offers me regular Economy for an extra $30 (same $479).

This is the first time I have actually seen United be cheaper, but at the same time it comes with some major warnings. While I think it is crazy to offer BE on high fares like this, it is actually (in this case at least) a discount. But on these type of close in fares, I wonder how many people who might had just booked UA if the flights were the same price will be put off by the mandatory baggage charge, unaware you can upfare it? Put another way, at least on Google it looks like you are being forced into a cheaper/worse experience.

Last edited by spin88; Jun 6, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.