Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2014 thread - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

2016 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735773-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Here's one I never saw before. For 26, BHX-EWR: "Status: Arrived Gate 1 Hour 47 Minutes Late, Overflew Goose Bay, NL CA (YYR), Departure From BHX To EWR."

So does this mean that they planned on stopping, but when they got to Goose Bay, they still had a quarter tank and figured they could make it?? Or are they just so proud every time they DON'T have to make a pit stop that they're bragging about it!

Note that it was still considerably delayed due to pushing back over an hour late from an inbound flight that had been only 4 minutes late...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:03 pm

United can't really control the winds
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Here's one I never saw before. For 26, BHX-EWR: "Status: Arrived Gate 1 Hour 47 Minutes Late, Overflew Goose Bay, NL CA (YYR), Departure From BHX To EWR."

So does this mean that they planned on stopping, but when they got to Goose Bay, they still had a quarter tank and figured they could make it?? Or are they just so proud every time they DON'T have to make a pit stop that they're bragging about it!

Note that it was still considerably delayed due to pushing back over an hour late from an inbound flight that had been only 4 minutes late...
looks like it was late due to a very indirect routing that presumably helped to avoid the winds that would have resulted in a fuel stop. my best guess at least.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...900Z/EGBB/KEWR

As for the BFS flight UA76, it appears that it diverted to ALB due to long ATC holds headed into EWR. a couple of loop-the-loops near SWF, then off to ALB since EWR didn't clear them for landing?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Owenc
United can't really control the winds
But they have control over using the wrong equipment.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:48 pm

Well yes for mainland Europe but all UK and IE flights are fine.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
1/3 UA 99 MEL-LAX cxled MX
I was on the 1/4 flight and what a mess at the airport. There weren't enough seats for the cancelled flight's crew and there was a loud heated argument at the gate between them and airport staff as to who would be left behind in Melbourne.
Then we were delayed because one of the pax didn't like his new seat assignment. They actually made an anouncement asking if anyone would give up their E+ window seat for him, and when nobody offerd he opted to get off the pane. We had to wait for them to find his bag to take off the plane which turned into an hour delay.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I didn't see this posted yet, late addition. Anyone on this flight?

UA 974/975 IAD-GVA, GVA - IAD B767 1/4/15 & 1/5/15 both cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I checked DL's and AA's flights out of HNL for the same time period for 1/2/15. DL and AA had all there flights get out of HNL, some a few hours late, but none cancelled.

Separately, I wonder how UA turn a profit with all the compensation they must be doling out in regards to all these cancelled and delayed flights?
UA simply isn't compensating as much these days.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by chavala
1/3 UA 99 MEL-LAX cxled MX
I was on the 1/4 flight and what a mess at the airport. There weren't enough seats for the cancelled flight's crew and there was a loud heated argument at the gate between them and airport staff as to who would be left behind in Melbourne.
Then we were delayed because one of the pax didn't like his new seat assignment. They actually made an anouncement asking if anyone would give up their E+ window seat for him, and when nobody offerd he opted to get off the pane. We had to wait for them to find his bag to take off the plane which turned into an hour delay.
The crew from the cancelled flight being booked on that flight oversold it pretty bad. I think they might have put some of them on the ferried aircraft that left Sunday afternoon. The contract staff in MEL was swamped after the cancellation and sent everyone home with a local number that wouldn't be available until the following morning and very little additional info. The crew was still waiting for their shuttle back to the city at 9p so they were pretty fired up. It was a 3 hour on-board delay, followed with the cancellation which was further aggravated by the fact that Australian customs couldn't process anyone off the plane until 2 hours after de boarding.

There were a lot of NRSAs boarded on the 1/3 flight that cancelled, some family members of the crew, including the captains family.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
1/4 ARN-EWR fuel stop as well.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well yes for mainland Europe but all UK and IE flights are fine.
Not true. LHR-IAD made a fuel stop today.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
1/4 ARN-EWR fuel stop as well.
Already covered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ys-2015-a.html
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not true. LHR-IAD made a fuel stop today.
Well thats a long route. 3700 miles..
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
A new day, a new round of flight cancellations (and its only 7 AM EST);

UA 63 MAD to EWR B757 1/5/2015 aircraft maintenance

UA 953 MUC to ORD B767 1/5/2015 aircraft maintenance

UA 820 MEX to SFO A320 1/5/2015 aircraft maintenance

UA 978 GRU to IAH B777 1/5/2015 aircraft maintenance

I am pretty sure that before the end of the day, there will be more. All we need is a 747 and a 787 cancellation for the coup de grace.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Well thats a long route. 3700 miles..
That's the point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.