Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
2014 thread - Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

2016 thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735773-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-international-flights-2016-a.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
UA 44 B777 EWR to BRU on 1/7/2015, looks like this flight was delayed due to MX reasons, pushed back several hours late and then returned to gate and cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.
Compressor stall at low speed during takeoff - http://www.avherald.com/h?article=47ffaa26

23 hour delay from a hub seems a little excessive though...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Sitting on UA881 now somewhere over the end of Alaska. Interesting story:

Capt come on 10 min before departure and says "Well, the company did not plan well today. We dont have our fuel yet so we will be 30 min late."

30 min later "Still working on it - we need another 70,000 lbs"

30 min later "Now we have to deice"

We left 1h 50m late. Looking on UA, it claims it was weather related. The pilot was very clear - NOT WEATHER RELATED. He has apologized many times saying the company forgot to fuel the plane. Im in the upper deck, and about 75% of us will probably miss their connections (ok, im the dumb one that did not take the non stop to hkg because i wanted the upgrade instead of sitting in Y). Looks like unless we have a miracle Ill be overnighting at NRT.
Well using United's "logic", if the winds en-route required more fuel to be loaded then it would be weather related but then again, the sun rose and set today so that's weather related as well
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Sitting on UA881 now somewhere over the end of Alaska. Interesting story:

Capt come on 10 min before departure and says "Well, the company did not plan well today. We dont have our fuel yet so we will be 30 min late."

30 min later "Still working on it - we need another 70,000 lbs"

30 min later "Now we have to deice"

We left 1h 50m late. Looking on UA, it claims it was weather related. The pilot was very clear - NOT WEATHER RELATED. He has apologized many times saying the company forgot to fuel the plane. Im in the upper deck, and about 75% of us will probably miss their connections (ok, im the dumb one that did not take the non stop to hkg because i wanted the upgrade instead of sitting in Y). Looks like unless we have a miracle Ill be overnighting at NRT.

I'm in Tokyo now - weather is perfect so no issues with landings. You are currently showing arrival here at 1803 and NH911 departs at 1825 so yes it will be close. I can tell you from experience that NH will hold the plane if it truly is really close and there are many connections - but not very long. You will know immediately when you deplane and I would expect there to be a table set up with BP's and plenty of representatives holding signs...

Be grateful you are on NH - last time I took 881 we were late as well and I landed 20 minutes before my UA flight to ICN departed - but they wouldn't hold it for me - or the dozen or so others on our flight... There are worse places to spend the night than tokyo but I know your frustration...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jan 8, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by goalie
Well using United's "logic", if the winds en-route required more fuel to be loaded then it would be weather related but then again, the sun rose and set today so that's weather related as well
That would be right...except we apparently had NO fuel. We had to wait for a complete fueling.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:50 pm

That would be right...except we apparently had NO fuel. We had to wait for a complete fueling.
LOL on my 881 mis-connect last month no one "plugged in" (or whatever they do) the plane overnight - and the bathrooms on the lower deck froze up - so we were delayed leaving on a clear, sunny (but cold) day... You would have thought someone would have checked the plane as it sat there all morning - but nope....
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
LOL on my 881 mis-connect last month no one "plugged in" (or whatever they do) the plane overnight - and the bathrooms on the lower deck froze up - so we were delayed leaving on a clear, sunny (but cold) day... You would have thought someone would have checked the plane as it sat there all morning - but nope....
So was that a weather delay too?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:03 pm

So was that a weather delay too?
IIRC - "Aircraft preparation" was the official delay reason. I was met on the jetway (as were dozens of others) with my new BP for the following morning (on OZ) and then went to my apartment for the night in Tokyo (they would have had a hotel set up as well but they knew I had a place to stay at in Tokyo and did pay for my transportation to and from my place for the night).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Subsequently, UA 45 BRU to EWR on 1/8/15 has cancelled
And today (1/9), UA45 is 10 hours late due to "late inbound crew". Did they ferry the crews back to the US that were supposed to operate the cancelled 1/8 flight and brought in a new crew for the 1/9 flight to save the hotel-expenses?

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:53 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
1/8 UA/907 ORD-FRA cancelled -- MX
as a result: 1/9 UA/906 FRA-ORD cancelled

1/8 ORD-CDG UA/987 delayed 4:13 due to "weather" -- but AA's ORD-CDG with minimal delay and this feels like a time when weather was the final, but not root, delay.
as a result: 1/9 CDG-ORD delayed 2:30 (though CDG is having delays now due to the terrorist situation)

Last edited by 1K-SFO; Jan 9, 2015 at 4:02 am
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:00 am

An update on UA881 -
We arrived at 5:55pm local time. I had 30 minutes to make my connection. I got to the security check point with 25 minutes to go and a UA rep next to the BP checkers told them to not let me go. I was rejected and forced to overnight in Narita.

The table they set up to help people was chaos - it nearly broke out into a riot. The CS agents were refusing hotels to everyone (except C and up and 1k). They were saying it was all weather related. At one point, someone yelled out - "Is there anyone here that believes this is weather related?" and EVERYONE yelled out (extremely loud) "NO" (ok...I was the one that started that...bad boy considering I got a hotel voucher in the end). People were making threats...People were going back to the gate to grab the pilot to have him admit to them it was not a weather delay. Chaos!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:47 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
1/9 UA/991 CDG-SFO cancelled -- MX
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:59 am

An update on UA881 -
We arrived at 5:55pm local time. I had 30 minutes to make my connection. I got to the security check point with 25 minutes to go and a UA rep next to the BP checkers told them to not let me go. I was rejected and forced to overnight in Narita.

The table they set up to help people was chaos - it nearly broke out into a riot. The CS agents were refusing hotels to everyone (except C and up and 1k). They were saying it was all weather related. At one point, someone yelled out - "Is there anyone here that believes this is weather related?" and EVERYONE yelled out (extremely loud) "NO" (ok...I was the one that started that...bad boy considering I got a hotel voucher in the end). People were making threats...People were going back to the gate to grab the pilot to have him admit to them it was not a weather delay. Chaos!
I'm so sorry buddy - this happened to me last month as well... I landed with enough time (to me) but they had already pre-decided I couldn't make it.... Let me know if you need anything....
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
1/8 UA/907 ORD-FRA cancelled -- MX
as a result: 1/9 UA/906 FRA-ORD cancelled

1/8 ORD-CDG UA/987 delayed 4:13 due to "weather" -- but AA's ORD-CDG with minimal delay and this feels like a time when weather was the final, but not root, delay.
as a result: 1/9 CDG-ORD delayed 2:30 (though CDG is having delays now due to the terrorist situation)
UA 845 ORD-GRU was also cancelled Thursday supposedly because of "weather".
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
1/9/15 UA 896 HKG-ORD delayed 5 hours and 13 minutes due to crew availability. Departed at 1623 and estimated to arrive at 1637, 4 hours 52 minutes late. This is all a result of the irrops the previous days. While the aircraft were on the ground, the cockpit crew was not legal to work at the original departure time.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by flyinbob
UA 845 ORD-GRU was also cancelled Thursday supposedly because of "weather".
That's a reach...by the 9:15 PM departure time, the snow (which was only a couple inches all day) had trickled to a few flurries, temps were in the teens and the winds were under 20MPH. I only saw about a quarter inch of snow after I shoveled at 6PM. Hard to believe UA would choose THIS flight to cancel if there were slot restrictions... I'd love to hear from someone on site then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.