Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Posted in another thread, but given the likely high interest will create a new thread

Originally Posted by olympic472
I just changed my address from the US to Bangkok on ual.com an hour ago.
The change process will redirect you to a page where you must submit 2 proof of address (official notification, utility bill with date, lease etc.) and Mileage Plus will respond in 14 days on whether your change is accepted.
Documentation is necessary for the change.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Post in another thread but very pertinent to this thread
Wow - that is quite the change from earlier in the year when I changed my in-laws', and the only difference was that the PQD postings disappeared in their activity.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Post in another thread but very pertinent to this thread
There was a proverb once about he who hesitates...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I just changed foreign address to foreign address and there was no prompt of any kind. Had been meaning to do this but then saw this and became worried about the hassle.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by gnaget
I just changed foreign address to foreign address and there was no prompt of any kind. Had been meaning to do this but then saw this and became worried about the hassle.
Good to know.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Change address verification

Not sure since when UA.com imposed a varification process for changing address.
My question is how UA will verify the documents do not use the Roman alphabet from countries like China/Taiwan/Japan/South Korea?

Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States 2. Postal Service or an international postal service)
3. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
4. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
5. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
6. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
7. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
8. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
9. U.S. military ID
10. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My guess is it has started to catch US based people switching to a non-US address to avoid PQD.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We knew something like this was coming. I am only curious how long before someone posts that UA has post-hoc demanded such "proof" of address from them and cancelled their status, clawed back miles, etc.

I can think of many legitimate folks who will not be able to provide two off of that list. You can reside abroad and not pay property taxes or utility bills.

Likewise, you could set up mail forwarding and provide a copy of a postmarked forwarded piece of mail for a foreign address without actually residing abroad...

If UA would spend half the time they do on nickel and diming their pax on actually improving in-flight service, they wouldn't need to worry about PQD...
Dawoz likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
UA is not the first. DL has been doing this address verification for a while now if one chooses to change to a non-US address.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Not sure since when UA.com imposed a varification process for changing address.
My question is how UA will verify the documents do not use the Roman alphabet from countries like China/Taiwan/Japan/South Korea?
What's interesting to me not that they are requiring proof - assumed that was coming, but is the fact they want two pieces, and more than that, the list itself, mostly what's not on there.

Property tax receipt is on there, but not, for example, tax return. Also, looks like a bank (/CC) statement is not on that list as well. I'm wondering if that's an oversight (or if UA would consider a bank statement as part of a "utility bill") or if that was a purposeful omission (for the record, DL specifically allows a bank statement...and only requires one piece of proof).

Also curious as to how a middle name can effect their judgement on whether the bill is in the person's name. Would they accept a bill in your name, without the middle name/initial if it does appear on your MP account. Also curious if they'll be going back to those with recent changes to see if they will be required to provide documentation, or if its just for changes going forward.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
UA is not the first. DL has been doing this address verification for a while now if one chooses to change to a non-US address.
hard to believe it is taking them to long to do this

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My guess is it has started to catch US based people switching to a non-US address to avoid PQD.
even more surprising UA hasn't copied from Delta yet. I assume those who have changes their address after they announced PQD will get a verification request via (E)mail soon as well which IMO makes a lot of sense. Those with a legitimate (second) address outside the US will be fine, others may find their accounts suspended.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
... I assume those who have changes their address after they announced PQD will get a verification request via (E)mail soon as well which IMO makes a lot of sense. .....
Perhaps UA will do a check of travel patterns and just focus on the oddball cases.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Perhaps UA will do a check of travel patterns and just focus on the oddball cases.
... assuming UAs IT can do this

but honestly, when I still had my primary residence in Europe I bought US-EU-US tickets all the time to avoid buying high season tickets. Unless there is a ton of intra-US travel it will be difficult to US to nail you down.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Typical small ball thinking.

There are millions MP members with foreign addresses.

This verification is costly to UA, but the gain is so small.

Is UA going to hire 150 MP agents to check and verify people's foreign addresses?

Remember, these agents must read not just English or French, but also Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese?

I am at a loss. What's there to gain for UA?
Dawoz likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Ah ha! That explains UA's move in this direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.