Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy


Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign drivers license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the members employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status


Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.


*If the members name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the members name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:26 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SUV
Programs: UA *G MM
Posts: 7,017
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I may be in the position of moving back to the US 3/4 of the way through the year. How do you think they'll handle PQD for a mid-year move?
If you are already Platinum then whatever is listed at end of year will count or you won't go up to 1K during the year until you get enough PQD with a US address. If you are new to getting status then I guess that to reach the next level then you need enough PQD for the respective level. A question is whether they will reverse your status; probably not.
gnaget is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:05 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: TPA 50%/BKK 30%/HKG 20%
Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Posts: 1,989
I think you will have to meet the requirements of the program based on your address on file on December 31. Don't update your address unless absolutely necessary.
TomA is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:43 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Posts: 9,329
This is and always has been simple. If you have legitimate overseas residence you qualify. If you don't, then you don't qualify.
5khours is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:52 am
  #64  
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 66,886
Originally Posted by 5khours
This is and always has been simple. If you have legitimate overseas residence you qualify. If you don't, then you don't qualify.
That would make sense, except for the fact that the way UA has implemented its verification procedures, there are legit overseas residents who will not be able to provide satisfactory documentation, and others who can scrape up two satisfactory documents but who are not legit.

Look back to post #57, where dsquared37, a resident of Thailand, points out he doesn't have documents which will satisfy UA.
exerda is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:00 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Posts: 2,116
Originally Posted by TomA
I think you will have to meet the requirements of the program based on your address on file on December 31. Don't update your address unless absolutely necessary.
Yeah, that was my default plan. I can't imagine them clawing back statusjust wondering more about the intermediate case where I'm in between levels when I movethat's much more likely.
astroflyer is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:17 am
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,263
Originally Posted by exerda
That would make sense, except for the fact that the way UA has implemented its verification procedures, there are legit overseas residents who will not be able to provide satisfactory documentation, and others who can scrape up two satisfactory documents but who are not legit.

Look back to post #57, where dsquared37, a resident of Thailand, points out he doesn't have documents which will satisfy UA.
If I were an expat based in Thailand that might be easier. As it is I'm in a neighboring country and any form of gov ID is nigh impossible. At least in Thailand a DL can be obtained.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:44 am
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 14,830
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I may be in the position of moving back to the US 3/4 of the way through the year. How do you think they'll handle PQD for a mid-year move?
I'm in this same situation. Was in India as an expat from last Sept. to this Sept. Have been using my Canadian address as my primary address because I've found that while mail delivery from within India seems to be ok - I hadn't gotten any of it that was sent from the US/Canada.

I called UA in the summer to ask since I was potentially moving back to the US, and the agent said she found something that said the PQD would be waived because of the time I was outside of the US. Great.

When I arrived back and called to double-check, the agent at that time said that as soon as I changed my address back, I would be subject to PQD for the entire year. She told me not change it until at least Jan. 1, because the system won't be able to distinguish a US address that was changed at the end of the year vs. one that was a US address all along. Of course, UA should be able to tell that I was asia-based most of the year, given all my travel up until last month - aside from one RT back to the US on UA - was all regional asia (one trip to the mideast) on SQ, TG, TK and AI once they joined.

Good for me that I still (and always will) have access to my Canadian address, so at least when my card is sent (I'm gold now, but will be plat by the end of Nov.), I still get it no problem.

Originally Posted by TomA
I think you will have to meet the requirements of the program based on your address on file on December 31. Don't update your address unless absolutely necessary.
Based on my last conversation as above, I agree with this. You'd think they would know that there are expats or other foreigners who might move to the US in the middle of the year and have some method to at least pro-rate PQD or waive it entirely for those living outside of the US for at least X months during the year, due to this. But maybe not.


Originally Posted by exerda
That would make sense, except for the fact that the way UA has implemented its verification procedures, there are legit overseas residents who will not be able to provide satisfactory documentation, and others who can scrape up two satisfactory documents but who are not legit.

Look back to post #57, where dsquared37, a resident of Thailand, points out he doesn't have documents which will satisfy UA.
That could be me, too. When I was in India, my documents should qualify (had a corporate housing agreement and cell phone bill (presumably counts as a utility, but who knows?). For my Canadian address, all I have is bank and CC statements, and technically, those aren't on the list. I doubt they would accept the fact my Aeroplan account (rarely used) and other Canadian loyalty program addresses (Air Miles, Shoppers Drug Mart, HBC, etc.) are there.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If I were an expat based in Thailand that might be easier. As it is I'm in a neighboring country and any form of gov ID is nigh impossible. At least in Thailand a DL can be obtained.
For expats, especially depending on the country, it can actually be hard.

I had a post-paid cell phone in India but I almost gave up on trying and did a pre-paid, because they weren't going to accept my corporate housing agreement as proof of address. And even a bank account (which UA doesn't even say they accept) is impossible to get for a true expat - without some sort of ID showing you are tied to India somehow. Because my wife is Indian, I was able to get a kind of equivalent of permanent residence for India which allowed me to get a bank account. But those on work visa's can not get one.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:01 pm
  #68  
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 66,886
Originally Posted by emcampbe
When I arrived back and called to double-check, the agent at that time said that as soon as I changed my address back, I would be subject to PQD for the entire year. She told me not change it until at least Jan. 1, because the system won't be able to distinguish a US address that was changed at the end of the year vs. one that was a US address all along. Of course, UA should be able to tell that I was asia-based most of the year, given all my travel up until last month - aside from one RT back to the US on UA - was all regional asia (one trip to the mideast) on SQ, TG, TK and AI once they joined.
No way in heck would I put any faith in UA's IT systems that they will get it right for pax moving to the US from abroad.
exerda is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WAS
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Posts: 2,116
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Based on my last conversation as above, I agree with this. You'd think they would know that there are expats or other foreigners who might move to the US in the middle of the year and have some method to at least pro-rate PQD or waive it entirely for those living outside of the US for at least X months during the year, due to this. But maybe not.
Thanks for the data point. The point of waiving PQD for those living abroad is that any domestic flights I take in Canada can't be taken with United. I've directed almost all of my European travel through UA, even though it means connecting in the US. That definitely shows a commitment as it means a whole extra set of customs coming and going.

I would just suggest that they waive PQD for anyone who's been abroad more than say 6 months of a year. Definitely simpler than pro-rating.
astroflyer is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:56 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SUV
Programs: UA *G MM
Posts: 7,017
Originally Posted by 5khours
This is and always has been simple. If you have legitimate overseas residence you qualify. If you don't, then you don't qualify.
I didn't have a "legitimate" address anywhere for 3 years when I was mostly in Japan. Even if I did then I would not have had a gaijin card, which this thing requires. My significant other had an official visa.
gnaget is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:01 pm
  #71  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SUV
Programs: UA *G MM
Posts: 7,017
Another point is that the address is not important anymore because there is nothing of value that UA mails. You never use the card anymore -- even LH lounges have become sane. And now they have a virtual one on smartphones. And LH GPU vouchers are supposedly going electronic any time now.

I used LH GPUs a lot in Japan. I actually intended to just keep my address with UA as a US PO Box (before PQD reared its ugly head), but then I had to change it to the Japanese address to get the vouchers by Fed Ex. They won't send it to another address upon request.
gnaget is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:23 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Posts: 9,329
Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's me. I can provide a lease but nothing else as utilities are included with the monthly rent bill, I don't work and don't have any local gov ID.

Sadly there's no way my status card (or any mail for that matter) would ever arrive at this address so I need to come up with some workaround.
I assume you already have TH set as your mailing address, but if not can you ask your landlord for a copy of a utility bill?
5khours is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:05 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 22
How fast does UA update the status after accepting the address change?

I have 50K+ eligible miles and they have accept my foreign address, but the status was still silver. Should be eligible for gold.

Anyone?

thanks in advance
dchobo is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:44 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Posts: 2,762
Originally Posted by ani90
Travel patterns does not necessarily reflect one's 'address'. I for example have a foreign address but most of my travel is ex-USA. My mum has most her travel ex-LHR but she does not spend more than two months a year in the UK.

What is not stated is how UA defines an address. Many people legitimately have more than one address. Some people have five or ten legitimate addresses. Many people have a primary address and secondary address(es). Some have no effective primary address but truly have multiple residences. Some split themselves between a working residence and a weekend residence. Unless UA defines what an address is then it cannot attempt to invoke residence based on travel patterns.

Many people have a fluid and variable work and living pattern and their "address" changes from time to time. My 'address' has probably changed 10 times in almost two decades I have been with MP (and OnePass) - I have simply just kept the first address I used, which as always still been my single base address, as I have for my bank and most other important correspondence. Of course the assumption too is that everyone who spends time in USA but keeps a foreign address is doing so to avoid PQDs - my PQD when I last could check was over 20,000 USD.

Addresses for tax purposes are defined differently. Most people pay tax primarily in one country. If you move around, that can change from year to year. Your home doesn't necessarily change and you may or may not pay your tax there. Tax is based more on where you spend most the time or where you work or where you earn the most. Many countries don't even provide tax returns.
If you're a U.S. citizen you pay u.s. income taxes. Doesn't matter where you claim to live (which is why many about to be minted multimillionaires in SV are giving up their citizenship and becoming Singaporean or the like).


http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...s-citizenship/

The facebook guy is the most prominent case, but it's happening a lot. Just last year two sisters of a friend who were dual us/swiss citizens gave up us citizenship because of taxes.
Boghopper is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:56 pm
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 17,263
Originally Posted by 5khours
I assume you already have TH set as your mailing address, but if not can you ask your landlord for a copy of a utility bill?
My address for UA is the residence I've rented and occupied for the last 3+ years (as mentioned above it's not in Thailand). The only utility we're billed for is electricity and the setup seems to be that the landlord buys electricity in bulk and then, based upon the rate stated to in the lease, charges tenants after reading the building's internal meter. So there's no actual utility bill and the monthly expense shows up as a line item on the rent bill.

Unless renting a house this is a very common scenario in SE Asia.

My point is only that UA's (or DL's) regs might fit in well with a western style of governance but cases like mine easily fall through the cracks.
dsquared37 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.