Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign drivers license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the members employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the members name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the members name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014 | 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'd be really curious to know if address verification is targeted at certain levels of elites or certain levels of PQD attainment...
If it's anything like Delta (and I think that's a good assumption), the answer would be no.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If it's anything like Delta (and I think that's a good assumption), the answer would be no.
If it was anything like Delta, they would have had the verification step set up when they made the PQD announcement. That's what Delta did immediately. And while I know simple IT changes can be complicated - they already have the system in place to take attachments from the website, as they've used this on the feedback site for quite some time.

Originally Posted by ani90
What is not stated is how UA defines an address. Many people legitimately have more than one address. Some people have five or ten legitimate addresses. Many people have a primary address and secondary address(es). Some have no effective primary address but truly have multiple residences. Some split themselves between a working residence and a weekend residence. Unless UA defines what an address is then it cannot attempt to invoke residence based on travel patterns.
UA doesn't have to "define" what an address is - all they say is your "primary" address, at least in the context of whether they require PQD to be met or not. Doesn't sound like they want to define how you determine that - if you have a US address and another, sounds like it is fine if you use the other. But they are now (not surprisingly) wanting to make sure its an address that legitimately belongs to the member by requiring proof that its used for something else, so that's its not being used simply to avoid the PQD requirement.

In my situation, I was living abroad in India, but used my Canadian address as my MP address, simply because I knew there was little chance of my card getting to me in India via regular mail. If they look at my travel patterns from my MP account, they can see that all of my trips this year originated from BOM. Including the couple back to the US on UA. So, at least for me, they can look back, see that I was indeed outside of the US (and how little of my travel this year touched the US). Not sure if they really care if I'm in Canada or India - likely just that I'm wasn't US-based.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 12:03 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
In the era of Big Data, it's quite easy to devise algorithm(s) based on customer behaviors that will flag potential evaders of the address rule while ensnaring relatively few "innocents".
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by exerda
If UA would spend half the time they do on nickel and diming their pax on actually improving in-flight service, they wouldn't need to worry about PQD...
On the other hand if there weren't US-based members who have been illicitly using foreign addresses to get around the PQD this would not be necessary, but we know this forum is full of such elites. Hope UA does an audit of account addresses that changed since the announcement of PQD and the foreign member exemption (mainly because we don't have access to a UA credit card).
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by kb1992
In the context of discussion here, people are speculating UA will check every change of address to abroad recently.

Within 6 months? 1 year? Nobody knows.

There are maybe 80 million MP members. Is it possible that 500,000 changed address to abroad? Or 200,000?

Nobody knows the exact number. But the point is the same. It's stupid to spend such efforts for very little gain.

Not to mention foreign language (Korean, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, etc. etc) proficiency of Mileage Plus agents.
It would be easy to audit the primary culprit accounts since only those upper elite ones are of concern. A comparison of lists of address changes from the US to another country since the announcement cross-tabbed with US-based UA/MP credit cardholders should provide a first go at further examination. However, this number in the end will be quite manageable, in the hundreds or thousands, but not tens of thousands or more.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 1:38 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
In the era of Big Data, it's quite easy to devise algorithm(s) based on customer behaviors that will flag potential evaders of the address rule while ensnaring relatively few "innocents".
It's not clear UA IT is in the same era yet...

Originally Posted by mjg59
Well this is a pain - I switched my address to the US this week because I need to have a GPU certificate mailed to me while I'm travelling, and now it sounds like it's going to be awkward to switch back.
This is excatly the kind of thing that should flag a review. Its not very difficult to provide that info if you actually have it. Doesn't make much sense to put in spend limits to stop cheap 1K's when they all just move overseas.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm Reason: upgrades.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Shareholder
On the other hand if there weren't US-based members who have been illicitly using foreign addresses to get around the PQD this would not be necessary, but we know this forum is full of such elites. Hope UA does an audit of account addresses that changed since the announcement of PQD and the foreign member exemption (mainly because we don't have access to a UA credit card).
Not sure what the UA credit card has anything to do with this.

There are plenty of folks who have access to a (even US-based) UA card, and legitimately have a non-US address. For example, US residents that move, and either have the CC address changed there (perfectally possible to have Chase cards with a foreign billing address), or change it to a US-based mailing address while not actually present there. American expats, for example, fits that pattern, and there are thousands of them, not to mention that folks taking expat assignments are likely the type that have a tendency to travel more than the average person, so may well be elite.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So every member with a foreign address and the documentation to support said address is using it 'illcitly' if they don't fly most of their United flights from/to that destination?

United is an airline, not the IRS - there is no magic 'physical presence' test to determine if a foreign address is legitimate or not. If you have the required documentation to prove the address, it needs to stop there.

I regularly fly to/from other countries on airlines other than United, and sometimes non-*A - I don't need to prove how I got from A to B or how often I go from A to B - that is barely the business of the IRS or the US govt as a whole (hence my multiple passports), let alone a commercial company.
Old Sep 22, 2014 | 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

UA:

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address.

1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign drivers license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the members employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status
DL:

Members will need to submit one of the following documents via mail or fax to complete the address change request.

1) Government issued ID with new address (Drivers License, learners permit Country/State issued photo ID card)
2) Utility bill in customers name showing new address, dated within the past 60 days
3) Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/lease agreement showing proof of ownership at new address, with customers name and signature. Lease must be dated within the past year
4) Bank statement with customers name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
5) Payroll statement with customers name and address, dated within the past 60 days (may block out sensitive information)
6) Postal Service change of address confirmation form
7) Current automobile or life insurance bill, or homeowners or renter insurance bill (cards or policies are not accepted)
8) Copy of school records/transcript from a school in which the applicant is currently enrolled, issued by an accredited school
9) Postmarked mail with forwarding address label (must display the customers full name)
10) Receipt for personal property taxes or real estate taxes paid within the last year
11) Letter from members employer on official company letterhead, detailing members current address. Letter must be signed by employees supervisor with supervisors full contact information
Note:

DL has more options (11) than UA (essentially 7, because 8,9 are just government IDs)

DL requires ONE document but UA requires TWO documents.
Old Sep 23, 2014 | 11:41 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
20 Countries Visited30 Nights1M15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Is this forum really "full of" pax who are US-based but use a fake address abroad to evade PQD requirements? I admit I haven't followed such proclamations closely, but I only recall a handful of folks admitting to that.

Even if the majority of US-based UA FTers did so, it would be a drop in the bucket for UA (compared to their total FF elite population), and I question their allocation of resources to pursue it. It's like the drug testing programs for welfare recipients in some US states, where they have cost the states far more to administer than they have recouped in fraud.
Miggles likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2014 | 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Location: Splitting time between small towns in NorCal and Wydaho
Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by exerda
Even if the majority of US-based UA FTers did so, it would be a drop in the bucket for UA (compared to their total FF elite population), and I question their allocation of resources to pursue it. It's like the drug testing programs for welfare recipients in some US states, where they have cost the states far more to administer than they have recouped in fraud.
one could argue that in the case of both UA and the US states you reference, having the policy in place is a deterrent against significant levels of fraud and that in and of itself makes the cost worthwhile.

note that i don't agree with this argument, just playing devil's advocate.
Old Sep 23, 2014 | 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by kb1992
Note:

DL has more options (11) than UA (essentially 7, because 8,9 are just government IDs)

DL requires ONE document but UA requires TWO documents.
Still perplexed at why UA wouldn't accept bank statements (I've almost always seen that for proof of address, practically anywhere), and whether that was intentional or not.
Old Sep 24, 2014 | 9:12 am

Programs: UA *G MM
1. is ridiculous. USPS does not offer mail forwarding to a foreign address.

I am having a hard time understanding 2. So they want a piece of forwarded mail from the US address to the foreign address. Since USPS does not forward to a foreign address this one is also impossible.

There is a prevalent mentality in the US that people moving "overseas" must work for the government and military. Sure, they can forward to an APO address.

So 1,2,8,9 only works for government employees.
Old Sep 24, 2014 | 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Why are two forms of "proof" required?
Old Sep 24, 2014 | 10:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Not sure since when UA.com imposed a varification process for changing address.
My question is how UA will verify the documents do not use the Roman alphabet from countries like China/Taiwan/Japan/South Korea?
Ok after multiple tried error, I finally get my address change approved.

First of all, I would say the rule is really restrict for a foreigner (from a US point of view) who simply cannot provide half of the doc on the list because it just don't exist. The brighter side is the reply time is really quick, as I always got the result email at 9ish am eastern time next day of submission. The down side is, although no strong evidence, the change of address is processed in the US and not by a person who really know how to read Chinese. They rely on you to tell them what the documents you uploaded are and pointed out the name/address. But who knows, maybe its just beginning and they will improve the SOP after some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.