Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign drivers license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the members employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the members name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the members name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes?)

What's the point of running this gauntlet with an airline that is only going to treat you worse and worse? If an airline wants my business they don't treat me like a scofflaw and ask me to provide verification for a thing as simple as my address. UA can ask all they want and all they'll get from me are receipts of my 4 transpacific C class flights on CX per year. I don't do business with companies that ask me to waste my time cobbling together documentation to "prove" my legitimacy as an overseas resident.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by dchobo
How fast does UA update the status after accepting the address change?

I have 50K+ eligible miles and they have accept my foreign address, but the status was still silver. Should be eligible for gold.

Anyone?

thanks in advance
Answering my own question (and hopefully help someone in the process), my status is now changed to GOLD, about 5 days after UA confirmed my address change by email (which took less than 1 day after submitting documents online). So the whole process took less than a week.

cheers
dchobo
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anybody that has submitted documentation had United deny their request?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
hardly millions of elites with foreign addresses (since the total elite population is estimated a roughly at a million) and limit to those who recently changed from USA to non-USA addresses and have lower PQD totals and I suspect you are closer to thousands than millions. Especially if you start from just the highest elite levels.

Does it make sense, not suggesting it would. But some visible enforcement might be consider if UA senses a significant problem.
On a recent flight to Tokyo, the flight attendant told me that there were
72 1K members and countless other Platinum/Gold members onboard.
I was just speechless. I just made Platinum, so it makes me feel like
fake turd on a Lamborghini.

To be honest, 1k isn't that hard to achieve if you have the time and money.
The little old lady who sat next to me was also 1k.(she was the one the
FA was greeting by name) She flies TPAC to the US 6 times a year to visit
her 3 grandchildren.(2 in Denver and 1 in NYC) She easily made 1k for the
last 8 years. Since she visits the US as a tourist(visa waiver), she doesn't
need to care about PQD. That's a good thing because she apparently only
buys the absolute lowest mile-earning fare from Asian travel agencies.

Last edited by A_Reed; Oct 24, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I used to live in Japan.The W fares were about USD 14XX ex Japan. I guess you could get down to around 1100-1200 with cheaper fares, but did not check for those.

But doesn't the little old lady want to upgrade and therefore buy W fares?

UA does not sell any non mileage earning fares. I think the Japanese, especially older, buy from travel agents due to habit.

6 round trips to Japan is about 70k (max 80k with connection from EWR or IAD) miles so she must travel elsewhere to get 1K. It's very difficult to get 1K for less than 10k if you live outside the US and a reason for the policy.

Ok, I am wrong. I checked and you can fly TYO-ALB for $1065 all-in in L class in February. I guess they didn't adjust enough for the depreciating yen. So with a connection that's 13500 PQM for $1065!

Originally Posted by A_Reed
On a recent flight to Tokyo, the flight attendant told me that there were
72 1K members and countless other Platinum/Gold members onboard.
I was just speechless. I just made Platinum, so it makes me feel like
fake turd on a Lamborghini.

To be honest, 1k isn't that hard to achieve if you have the time and money.
The little old lady who sat next to me was also 1k.(she was the one the
FA was greeting by name) She flies TPAC to the US 6 times a year to visit
her 3 grandchildren.(2 in Denver and 1 in NYC) She easily made 1k for the
last 8 years. Since she visits the US as a tourist(visa waiver), she doesn't
need to care about PQD. That's a good thing because she apparently only
buys the absolute lowest mile-earning fare from Asian travel agencies.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
I used to live in Japan.The W fares were about USD 14XX ex Japan. I guess you could get down to around 1100-1200 with cheaper fares, but did not check for those.

But doesn't the little old lady want to upgrade and therefore buy W fares?

UA does not sell any non mileage earning fares. I think the Japanese, especially older, buy from travel agents due to habit.

6 round trips to Japan is about 70k (max 80k with connection from EWR or IAD) miles so she must travel elsewhere to get 1K. It's very difficult to get 1K for less than 10k if you live outside the US and a reason for the policy.

Ok, I am wrong. I checked and you can fly TYO-ALB for $1065 all-in in L class in February. I guess they didn't adjust enough for the depreciating yen. So with a connection that's 13500 PQM for $1065!
That's too much! Many al-cheapo Asian travel agencies(in both Asia and major US cities) can get TPAC flights on UA and NH under $980. (or as
low as $800-ish in off-season) I once bought a $810 NH JFK-NRT-JFK ticket
after seeing it on a travel agency poster at Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:53 pm

went from no status to Platinum, but the print card function says valid thru 01/2015?

I just went from no status to Platinum after meeting the 4 UA flight requirement.

Obviously I haven't received the actual card. I logged into my acct
on UA's website. On the "Print MileagePlus Card" page, I do see my
Platinum card. However, why does it say "valid thru 01/2015" only?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I just went from no status to Platinum after meeting the 4 UA flight requirement.

Obviously I haven't received the actual card. I logged into my acct
on UA's website. On the "Print MileagePlus Card" page, I do see my
Platinum card. However, why does it say "valid thru 01/2015" only?

Thanks!
Because your current status is valid until end of program year and then another one. The system displays this only on a yearly basis, aka, until the end of this year. Once new year begins, you will have platinum status but have the opportunity to earn higher one as well. Don't worry you have your status until 01/16
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Because your current status is valid until end of program year and then another one. The system displays this only on a yearly basis, aka, until the end of this year. Once new year begins, you will have platinum status but have the opportunity to earn higher one as well. Don't worry you have your status until 01/16
ok, that makes sense. but what about the physical Platinum card that
United mails to my home? Will it say 01/15 or 0/16?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ok, that makes sense. but what about the physical Platinum card that
United mails to my home? Will it say 01/15 or 0/16?
01/15
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
01/15
so in 01/2015 UA will send another card?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
so in 01/2015 UA will send another card?
Yes and the 2015 Program Guide -- hence the need to wait to sent the 01/16 card.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
1K spending qualification workaround with foreign address

Hi all,
I have tried "search" and found that it may be possible to circumvent the spending requirement to hit 1k by having my Mileage Plus card tied to a foreign address.

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do this or if it even works?

I have an address in Hong Kong that I can have the statements sent to as I am at it at least a few times a year.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-address.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-changes.html
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
They now request address verification when you change your address to a foreign address. At least IME. It isn't as simple as having an address to use to receive statements. It redirects you to a system to upload your docs. In my case, a drivers license and one other doc, a property tax bill bill, I think. They reviewed the docs and sent me an email a few days later that they accepted my address change.

Check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-changes.html

Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States 2. Postal Service or an international postal service)
3. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
4. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign drivers license)
5. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
6. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
7. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
8. Payroll statement provided by the members employer, dated within the past 90 days
9. U.S. military ID
10. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the members name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the members name and the name on the verification document.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.