Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Submit Verification Documentation

To verify changes to the primary address on your MileagePlus account, please submit two forms of documentation that include your new address. Each document must be dated and include your name, as shown on your MileagePlus account*, and your residential address. The new address cannot be a business address and must match the address listed on the submitted documents. Please block out all non-essential personally identifiable information from the submitted documents.
Read our privacy policy

Accepted address verification documents
1. Change of address confirmation provided by the postal service (United States Postal Service or an international postal service)
2. Copy of postmarked mail with current address listed as forwarding address
3. Government-issued ID (e.g., national identification card, foreign driver’s license)
4. Utility bill dated within the past 90 days
5. Receipt for personal property taxes paid within the past year
6. Rental agreement or residential lease dated within the past year
7. Payroll statement provided by the member’s employer, dated within the past 90 days
8. U.S. military ID
9. Official government/military travel orders or proof of official duty status

Please allow at least 10-14 days for a response and for your account to be updated. Any updates submitted while the request is being processed may be overridden and therefore may not be reflected in your account. We recommend that you do not submit any additional changes until you receive confirmation that your original request has been completed.

*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
How to verify this triggered the PQD waiver?
Go to https://mystatus.united.com to verify.

related thread
MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Print Wikipost

New change address verification for MP (just non-domestic changes)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by audreyvuong
So I finally managed convinced United to change my address to a Asia based address. However, in my account, I still see the PQD qualifying box.

YTD Premier qualifying miles:
YTD Premier qualifying segments: 15.5
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:
$4,299
4 flight segment minimum:
4 of 4

Is this something I should worry about? I should be able to hit 100K miles this year but clearly I don't want to spend $8K more to get there, but I do sort of need my 1K benefits next year as I love the award ticket flexibility. Will I qualify for 1K for 2016 without the PQD being at 12K now that I'm a foreigner?
I don't think there's any need to worry - I see the PQD box and value, even though I've never had a US address. This didn't cause me any problems with qualifying for status (admittedly only for silver...).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
So I finally managed convinced United to change my address to a Asia based address. However, in my account, I still see the PQD qualifying box.
That's been the case for a while. I wouldn't worry about it. Some see it as a sign that UA is eventually going to impose the PQD requirement on members with a foreign address. That's possible, but it's just speculation.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Pat+
Some see it as a sign that UA is eventually going to impose the PQD requirement on members with a foreign address. That's possible, but it's just speculation.
I don't think it's necessarily a sign that UA will impose PQD on members with a foreign address - it's more likely a sign that they didn't bother programming in the code to make it disappear.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I don't think it's necessarily a sign that UA will impose PQD on members with a foreign address - it's more likely a sign that they didn't bother programming in the code to make it disappear.
The PQD count wasn't there 6+ months ago. It's been added since. Thus the rumor/possibility/speculation.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pat+
The PQD count wasn't there 6+ months ago. It's been added since. Thus the rumor/possibility/speculation.
And just over 6 months ago, PQD wasn't the base of RDM earned.

IIRC, it started showing up about early in the year for foreign-addressed accounts, prior to the time that RDMs became based on $ spent (i.e. PQD). I know my account went from not showing it to showing it sometime before then, maybe in late Dec. last year, or Jan. sometime - both YTD and in the per flight lines in MP account activity.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Any recommendations for changing address back to stateside? The website keeps erroring out when I try to update my address.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Any recommendations for changing address back to stateside? The website keeps erroring out when I try to update my address.
Call MPSC and have them change it. If they cannot, they will loop in web support to change it. Why do you wanna change it though?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Call MPSC and have them change it. If they cannot, they will loop in web support to change it. Why do you wanna change it though?
I moved, and I want my card sent to the right address. It's crazy that their website is so broken that this cannot be accomplished online anymore.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
And just over 6 months ago, PQD wasn't the base of RDM earned.

IIRC, it started showing up about early in the year for foreign-addressed accounts, prior to the time that RDMs became based on $ spent (i.e. PQD). I know my account went from not showing it to showing it sometime before then, maybe in late Dec. last year, or Jan. sometime - both YTD and in the per flight lines in MP account activity.
My account started showing it significantly after it became a requirement for premier qualification. I fail to see how it is connected to RDMs. Why do you need a running (but only yearly) counter of PQDs if it is only related to RDMs (which are not accumulated on a yearly basis).
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:57 pm

Yup I am PQD $250 short. I am in US for a temporary job. I tried to bend the rules by moving to my (totally legitimate) second address in Canada (Legitimate, really, my wife lives there - hence all the flying). Shot me down twice. Documentation requirements are ridiculous:

The first 2 are just stupid - USPS does not forward internationally, and you don't somehow register at a new international address...
Canada does not do leases after initial contract by law, living in same house but haven't re-signed in years.
Rent --> No property taxes
Electric and cable in wife's name, water is included and nobody has landlines anymore
I have bank and cell phone bills, not good enough apparently...
I have all kinds of government ID, but only allowed to use one of them...

When I think of all the stupid things I did this year to stay United (pay a little more, route more indirect at worse times) I am actually annoyed. Maybe a little ashamed even for what is, at the end of the day, a pretty flaky thing of corporate loyalty. I think next year I am going to join the cool kids and start Kayaking again.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mds875
Electric and cable in wife's name, water is included and nobody has landlines anymore
Can't you send the bills with your wife's name and a copy of your marriage certificate: The wiki says this:
*If the member’s name does not match the name on the document being provided, please submit an additional document from the list above,or a marriage or name-change certificate or other government-issued document, that includes both the member’s name and the name on the verification document.
Nothing there says that the person has to be the same person -- the marriage certificate ties you to your wife and your wife to yur address.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Quote:
Can't you send the bills with your wife's name and a copy of your marriage certificate:
Or get your wife to add your name to either/both of those, which is probably just as easy (though may be a bit of a time lag between doing this and the next bill coming out). I always insist my wife and I have both our names on these kind of utility bills at home exactly for this kind of reason (for ID for these things that are needed as proof - just came in handy as my wife needed to prove residency to get a local library card).

I always assumed the bank/CC statements being left off those lists were intentional, but not sure what the reason is. DL definitely allows them with their proof. And don't get me started on places that don't accept a cell phone bell - seems to be a pretty essential utility these days, and is the replacement for the old land line bill, which many don't have any more. Not to mention this is for Canada - and no one in their right mind would sign up for the most expensive cell phone services in the world (or pretty darn close) if they aren't actually using it there.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Can't you send the bills with your wife's name and a copy of your marriage certificate: The wiki says this:Nothing there says that the person has to be the same person -- the marriage certificate ties you to your wife and your wife to yur address.
Yeah that seems to me to be for people that changed their name through marriage, not the name of your wife. Worth a shot though thanks. Someone else said I could move electric bill in my name, which I totally could, but not enough time now.

75% of my travel is personal, and so I pay my own tickets, and have a flexible schedule and therefore wait for decent prices and book well in advance. But they are now firmly after the high value, price blind corporate fliers. So be it. I will miss out on the occasional upgrade, crappy "free" beer in the lounges and likely be richer for it.

Last edited by mds875; Dec 13, 2015 at 9:11 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum. 1MM IHG Platinum. National EE. Hertz PC
Data point:

I was recently approved for an address change from US to China. I do truly live in both locations but did not have the exact documents required.

I registered (as required by local law) at a police station in Shanghai to get a Registration of Temporary Residence form. I submitted this along with a rental contract and electric bill which were both under my company's name. The RTR form was in English and Chinese. The others two were in Chinese.

My address change was approved the day of submission.

Last edited by PHXPVG; Dec 21, 2015 at 10:37 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:58 pm

YTD Premier qualifying miles:
YTD Premier qualifying segments: 15.5
YTD Premier qualifying dollars:
$4,299
4 flight segment minimum:
4 of 4

Is this something I should worry about? I should be able to hit 100K miles this year but clearly I don't want to spend $8K more to get there, but I do sort of need my 1K benefits next year as I love the award ticket flexibility. Will I qualify for 1K for 2016 without the PQD being at 12K now that I'm a foreigner?
Can you share you experience on the how you got the change of address request approved? I'm also from Taiwan like you who have a national id and driver's license, but are not getting much mail sent to my parent's address. What should I do to convince United? I've actually officially moved out of the States but I live in China now. It won't be long though so probably there's less hassle if I just move my address back to Taiwan. Any tips are appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.