Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
A number of folks with award flights booked on CA (Air China) found their reservations cancelled. The only notification of cancellation appears to be an email in from UA written in chinese. UA reps confirmed that cancellations were made online and CA award space was no longer available. UA can rebook on other flights when award space is available.

It is plausible that a third party with access to PNR and pax name on the flight can fraudulently cancel an existing itinerary and book the reopened award seat.

Affected FlyerTalk members — with links to where in this discussion they posted their experiences — include:
  1. MikeMpls
  2. nihaoa
  3. lewende Reported 4 friends with this issue
  4. ordbkk
  5. twebst
  6. kb1992
  7. litesleeper
  8. zombietooth
  9. critten Reported 2/3 confirmations (3 people CA Business class) cancelled at the same time
  10. skyvanman Also 1 friend with the issue
  11. chris1234
  12. atiger29
  13. bubble o bill
  14. genemk2
  15. jefftiger
  16. CuddlyFlyer
  17. gpeso8
  18. imm2b
  19. acf1270
  20. dgxoxo
  21. ACM two passengers
Originally Posted by ordbkk
It seems everybody wants to see the message.. here was mine:
united.com 通知 - 航班预订取消
2014年4月17日 (星期四)
united.com | 优惠促销 | 预订 | 赢取前程万里 (MileagePlus®) 奖励里程 | 我的帐户

先生 ORDBKK
您的预订 MYRES123 已取消,我们已收到您的退款申请。申请信用卡退款需 7 个工作日。如果信用卡退款未在一个付款周期内寄出,请联系信用卡公司。对于包括现金退款在内的 所有其他形式 的付款,需要 20 个工作日。

如需详细信息或查看退款的状态,请访问 united.com 并提供您的机票号码。

感谢您使用 united.com

电子邮件信息
请不要使用“回复”地址回复此邮件。
此电子邮件中的信息仅供原接收人使用。
如果您遇到技术问题,请通过电子邮件或电话联系 united.com 服务支持。
通知:机票取消确认
电子邮件地址: ORDBKK@MYEMAIL

Originally Posted by ordbkk View Post
For tracking purposes, I went through the 27 pages of this thread and compiled a list of those affected:

MikeMpls
nihaoa
lewende (reported 4 friends with this issue)
ordbkk
twebst
kb1992
litesleeper
zombietooth
critten
skyvanman (also 1 friend with the issue)
jefftiger (but, happened during October 2013)

So we're at 13 people affected, although some like critten have had multiple trips canceled.
From what I understand, all of these occurred in the last 3 weeks.
Print Wikipost

2014 UA Issued Awards on Air China (CA) Are Mysteriously Being Canceled (Hacked?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
That's effective but not simple. Given what I've seen of UA IT, this would take them months to implement across their own system, at least. And just training all of the call center staff on the passcodes and when to require them and what to do when people don't know them would be a big project. It's also not clear that you could get all of the third-party systems that make reservations on UA to even pass on the passcodes to their users.
Very true. I really meant simple from the passenger perspective. It seems any effective solution will be an implementation chore for United, and since these security issues aren't costing them anything, they have no reason to implement this solution or any other.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Using the credit card number for verification is the best idea I've heard so far. Not every reservation will have a credit card number associated with it, but the vast majority will.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by critten
but no, the whole itinerary canceled for 1 pnr 2 people business class pre-award increase, 1 pnr 1 person post award increase business class.
Both reservations canceled simultaneously? Very interesting.. Was there anything linking them together? Had you already selected seats together? Linked both reservations to any third party tracking service?

I also wonder if we'll start seeing future cancellations coming in English, and if it has anything to do with this thread.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Sorry to send so many messages as I freak out about my cancelled reservations:

1 reservation is somehow still good (I had 4 booked, 3 canceled). That one was CA first, but I am scared this will somehow get cancelled too.

Both reservations canceled simultaneously? Very interesting.. Was there anything linking them together? Had you already selected seats together? Linked both reservations to any third party tracking service?

I also wonder if we'll start seeing future cancellations coming in English, and if it has anything to do with this thread.
they were not linked together, i booked the 4th person (me first, 2 others same pnr, 4th 2 weeks ago post increase).

The only link would be that they were the same flights. Same class of service (4th one only had economy on asiana)

Identical notices, not showing up in my reservations anymore either

"Your reservation, XXXXXX, was cancelled and we have received your request for refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing.

For more information or to check the status of your refund, please go to united.com and have your Ticket Number available.

Thank you for using united.com "

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:02 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:51 pm

they were not linked together, i booked the 4th person (me first, 2 others same pnr, 4th 2 weeks ago post increase).

The only link would be that they were the same flights. Same class of service (4th one only had economy on asiana)
That's even worse.. so it could be possible that somebody is just canceling United-initiated reservations in bulk... and as others have said, if this many people on FT are experiencing it, that means it's quite widespread.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
it could be possible that somebody is just canceling United-initiated reservations in bulk
Any reason to believe that it's only reservations made through UA? I guess those are probably most of the award tickets on CA, but I see no reason to think they wouldn't do the same thing on other bookings. I'm even surprised that so far it's only CA flights.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At this point, it is simply not possible that UA is unaware of what's going on. These cancellations must be occurring in the hundreds or even thousands.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
At this point, it is simply not possible that UA is unaware of what's going on. These cancellations must be occurring in the hundreds or even thousands.
Yes, I tend to believe them when they told me they were receiving many, many reports of this scenario and were well aware of the issue.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:56 pm

That's even worse.. so it could be possible that somebody is just canceling United-initiated reservations in bulk... and as others have said, if this many people on FT are experiencing it, that means it's quite widespread.
agreed, really would appreciate any united help other than "our computers show us YOU or your friends (who have booked tours to the great wall, forbidden city, ect, multiple rooms at the Hiltons in all those places) cancelled it. "

Any reason to believe that it's only reservations made through UA? I guess those are probably most of the award tickets on CA, but I see no reason to think they wouldn't do the same thing on other bookings. I'm even surprised that so far it's only CA flights.
canceled out my whole Itin including asiana and united metal.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:03 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:56 pm

I've looked for threads similar to this one on the other forums, but so far every one I've read has been a United placed reservation, including at least one F or C class flight on CA.

agreed, really would appreciate any united help other than "our computers show us YOU or your friends (who have booked tours to the great wall, forbidden city, ect, multiple rooms at the Hiltons in all those places) cancelled it. "
The line I was given was "Many people go clicking around on the website and cancel out their own reservations without realizing it. I'm sure that's exactly what happened to you"

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:03 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 pm

I've looked for threads similar to this one on the other forums, but so far every one I've read has been a United placed reservation, including at least one F or C class flight on CA.

Yeah, sucks that it happened less than a month out and I booked it around 3 months ago!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:01 pm

Yeah, sucks that it happened less than a month out and I booked it around 3 months ago!
Same here.. booked in January, canceled a few days ago, and our flights are less than a month out. So we had plenty of time to make our hotel & tour reservations... and good luck finding replacement flights at this point.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:03 pm

ohh surprising, united cant put me back on the CA flights because they sold out 10 mins after my flights were cancelled
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:06 pm

Isn't it strange that their first reaction is to place blame on the passenger? When I worked customer support, we were told to never call the customer out on their own mistakes, even when it was obvious they were to blame. How many calls can you get about Chinese vacations being surreptitiously canceled before you back off on the accusations?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:07 pm

websupport confirms it was air china cancellation(edit:still unclear) after explaining the situation and looking at the logs. still on the phone but operator is not too optimistic in getting reservations back for CA. At least someone sees what this thread has thought all along.

Last edited by critten; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.