Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Originally Posted by bbmatt
are all the hotels around the airport? if they are, i'm tempted to just book a hotel in town instead so i can get more of a feel of the city.
I would just book a hotel yourself. It may have just been June but most of the hotels I saw in Istanbul were very reasonably priced. I booked Sehir hotel Old City for under 60 Euros for 2 nights. Side Pension/ Hotel which I might also stay at which is right in the middle of some of the major sites with a breakfast terrace which gives you some great views have some very good prices per night. Of course it would be cheaper in the low season but for a night, You are looking at between 40-60 Euro a night depending on the hotel or pension rooms.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by benberg2013
I remember somewhere saying that if there is an earlier connection flight available for the passenger, but this specific passenger is booked on a later connection flight which makes a 10+ hour stopover, no hotel is offered. Is this true? For example, if my ticket is Moscow-Istanbul arriving 4pm, and then instead of connecting to the 18:20 flight (TK11) , i am connecting to the next morning flight (TK3) - is a hotel offered? Does it make a difference why my flight was booked that way - If because cheaper, then no hotel, if because no availability on earlier flight, yes hotel?

Thanks.
The rule is, that the NEXT POSSIBLE flight needs to be 10+ hours away. Reason for booking a stopover doesn't matter. So your situation doesn't qualify for the free hotel.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
are all the hotels around the airport? if they are, i'm tempted to just book a hotel in town instead so i can get more of a feel of the city.
As far as I know yes.
I think your decision is wise. Given the unexpensive Istanbul rates and the waste of time for the whole complimentary hotel process, I'd not think it twice.

After all the ground for the TK offer is to let passengers rest, not having their tourist time.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
As far as I know yes.
I think your decision is wise. Given the unexpensive Istanbul rates and the waste of time for the whole complimentary hotel process, I'd not think it twice.

After all the ground for the TK offer is to let passengers rest, not having their tourist time.

• Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor–most common)
  • Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common–far from the airport)
  • Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common)
  • DoubleTree
  • Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
  • Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
  • Hilton Garden Inn
  • Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
  • Gonen Hotel Istanbul

Might be worth a google to check their distance to the airport...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:56 am

Entry Visa is now $30 USD. I had read that it was $20. It's cash only so plan accordingly. You can also pay in Euros or Lira.

Ended up at Hilton Garden Inn about 10 minutes from airport. Very nice except non-smoking room was pretty smoky. The hotel is new from what the cab driver told me and it felt like it. Took cab to Sultanahmet Square. Paid 70 Turkish Lira inbound and 56 Lira on way back.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by kelly001
Entry Visa is now $30 USD. I had read that it was $20. It's cash only so plan accordingly. You can also pay in Euros or Lira.

Ended up at Hilton Garden Inn about 10 minutes from airport. Very nice except non-smoking room was pretty smoky. The hotel is new from what the cab driver told me and it felt like it. Took cab to Sultanahmet Square. Paid 70 Turkish Lira inbound and 56 Lira on way back.
when i went though around 6 months ago, i seem to remember the visa price being 20 GBP or 25 Euro or 30 USD.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond ? TK*E
You can buy your visa also online and it is still USD20

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Hi,
Does anyone have experience on "borderline" connections? I am arriving at 22:00 and leaving at 07:55 the next day - which means five minutes short of the 10 hours.

Is it worth to try the hotel desk, and risk having to pass twice immigration for nothing, or are the odds really not in my favor ?

Thanks !
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:13 am

On return trip, ended up at Green Park Hotel Merter, which was about 15 minutes from airport. Pretty average hotel. Old and rundown rooms. A far cry from the Hilton Garden Inn a few weeks ago. Also, neither dinner or breakfast were included. (Breakfast was included at Hilton Garden Inn.) Strangely, some people in our group were given a free dinner voucher and others were not. (They told us that Turkish Airlines made that determination--not sure what the criteria was.) I had to pay 55 Turkish Lira for dinner at the hotel. Buffet food was pretty awful, but there is nothing walking distance to get food ...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin

• Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor–most common)
  • Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common–far from the airport)
  • Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common)
  • DoubleTree
  • Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
  • Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
  • Hilton Garden Inn
  • Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
  • Gonen Hotel Istanbul

Might be worth a google to check their distance to the airport...
Is there also a list with typical connections which allow a free hotel night?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by mrgreen
Is there also a list with typical connections which allow a free hotel night?
I've been wondering about that for a while too, maybe to get a list sorted, or are there just too many?
I dont assume that there would be many "typical routes" offering the hotel stay, because all "typical routes" Turkish would probably have an connecting flight available with less than 8hr stopover.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:58 am

There must be dozens and dozens of flight combinations that qualify for this. Most of the times a night stay over is enough (I know it sounds generic).

In any case, there must be NO earlier flight. If you could spend less hours there but decided to buy a longer connection, it's most likely that you do not qualify for a hotel. (but they will probably give you the tour)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I do not think a list is feasible, there may be endless cross-connections, nor TK has any interest to possibly publish it.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:09 pm

I'm booking a flight with Turkish and of course I'd like to qualify for the free hotel

I will land in IST at 19:00. I have 2 choices for the next flight. The first one is at 8 am, while the second one is at 11:30 am. Both are more than 10h after the first flight, but I'd rather book the second one so I don't have to wake up early.

My question is, will I still qualify for the free hotel if I choose the second flight?

The terms state "This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above.".
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: United 1K,
Hey Peeps,

Traveling from TPE to IAH Via IST in Business Class... I have a 8 hours layover which I know get you a free hotel voucher but I am on award ticket would that matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.