Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:03 am

My flight leaves at 18:20 and I have a 8 hr 45 minute layover - does anyone know if the 12:00 to 18:00 tour is an option? I e-mailed the desk but I just want to double check that I won't miss the flight.

For those of you that have done the tour in IST, what time did you return to the airport?
Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: AIR: AA, TrueBlue, MileagePlus
FYI, I took the tour (Had a 14 hr Layover) and regretted not taking the hotel room and a taxi/train into the center of the city. (My main goal was Hagia Sophia and there is other things in that area.

It may have just been a bad tour guide because I was wanting to see as much as possible, but she was pretty laid back and not concerned as long as we got back in time for our plane.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So I think I would be eligible but just want to check with all y'all too... well double check...

PRG-IST on TK 1770 Arriving at 2215 connecting to TK 7 the next day at 1340.
the only other PRG flight arrives after the TK 7 departs.

Should be fine right? It's an award ticket.. does that matter? Have their been any reports of people being turned away for a hotel? I'll be in biz....

FDW
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:08 am

Recent experience:

On the outbound, had a 7h TK-TK connection in C. Went to the CIP Lounge, had some snacks and asked for a suite later - granted. Very nice for a nap or a quiet work session. My itinerary seem to be just on the limit for allowed connection, since it's 4-7h.

On the return, had a ~12h TK-LO (TK coded) in C. Went landside and asked for a hotel in the city for sightseeing. They checked the ticket (heard one agent asking another if it's ok with LO in Turkish) and said only airport hotels available now. Upon further investigation, C class was noticed and was offered Renaissance Polat. Took it, and went for a quick bite next door to TK Arrival lounge. In a couple minutes someone came to pick us up and walk to the shuttle with a couple other people. At the stop, the agent told the others to wait, and us to board - so we got a private transfer. No tip solicitation from the driver.

At the hotel, we got a high floor room and were told bfast was included. High floor turned out to be club floor with a great view over water and the sunrise over the bay.
Asked at the club for advice how to get to the city and was informed they have a free shuttle leaving at 10:30 am with stops at the old town and taksim. Return service at 4-4:30 pm.
We skipped the return and took the subway straight to the airport.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:03 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lack
Recent experience:

On the outbound, had a 7h TK-TK connection in C. Went to the CIP Lounge, had some snacks and asked for a suite later - granted. Very nice for a nap or a quiet work session. My itinerary seem to be just on the limit for allowed connection, since it's 4-7h.

On the return, had a ~12h TK-LO (TK coded) in C. Went landside and asked for a hotel in the city for sightseeing. They checked the ticket (heard one agent asking another if it's ok with LO in Turkish) and said only airport hotels available now. Upon further investigation, C class was noticed and was offered Renaissance Polat. Took it, and went for a quick bite next door to TK Arrival lounge. In a couple minutes someone came to pick us up and walk to the shuttle with a couple other people. At the stop, the agent told the others to wait, and us to board - so we got a private transfer. No tip solicitation from the driver.

At the hotel, we got a high floor room and were told bfast was included. High floor turned out to be club floor with a great view over water and the sunrise over the bay.
Asked at the club for advice how to get to the city and was informed they have a free shuttle leaving at 10:30 am with stops at the old town and taksim. Return service at 4-4:30 pm.
We skipped the return and took the subway straight to the airport.
Thanks for the info! Paid C or award?

FDW
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for the info! Paid C or award?
Code-share wouldn't be possible on award :-). Paid a very short lived "promotional" fare.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
So I think I would be eligible but just want to check with all y'all too... well double check...

PRG-IST on TK 1770 Arriving at 2215 connecting to TK 7 the next day at 1340.
the only other PRG flight arrives after the TK 7 departs.

Should be fine right? It's an award ticket.. does that matter? Have their been any reports of people being turned away for a hotel? I'll be in biz....

FDW
You will be fine. Does not matter whether it's paid with cash or miles.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:36 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hawklx
You will be fine. Does not matter whether it's paid with cash or miles.
Thanks! makes me a little stressed to think of showing up in IST without a reservation at 2215 at night....

FDW
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:03 pm

Hi all.

I'm wondering if TK would be lax with their rules and give a hotel for a Y passenger with a 9h5m connection.(BOS-IST-PVG)

I'm *G if that helps at all.

I know that I'm not technically allowed but wondering if TK would show some compassion.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by jwu14
Hi all.

I'm wondering if TK would be lax with their rules and give a hotel for a Y passenger with a 9h5m connection.(BOS-IST-PVG)

I'm *G if that helps at all.

I know that I'm not technically allowed but wondering if TK would show some compassion.
The practical answer, based on research, is that TK is very strict with the rules (but that doesn't mean that you can't go to the hotel desk, hand them your documents, and see what they do).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:23 pm

Does anyone think I can get the tour with a layover slightly longer than 24 hours? I arrive at 1705 from the US and depart the next day at 1900 to TXL.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by lkar
Does anyone think I can get the tour with a layover slightly longer than 24 hours? I arrive at 1705 from the US and depart the next day at 1900 to TXL.
According to post #1, you are permitted up to two nights, so I can't see why not.

Has anyone any experience at requesting an earlier pickup time for the return to IST? Or should I just go with the hotel shuttle (assuming there is one) to be sure? I do not want to risk traffic/customs delays, and would be happy to spend a bit of time in the lounge if I got through early.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by JessicaTam
According to post #1, you are permitted up to two nights, so I can't see why not.
Thanks. The touristanbul website seems pretty clear that 24 hours is the limit. Maybe I will email them and see if they can make an exception.

Edit: I did e-mail and they got back to me pretty quickly that a layover a bit over 24 hours (mine is about 25:40) is ok.

Last edited by lkar; Aug 11, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
The hotel aren't all that great, are they? From what I've gathered, these are some of the hotels to expect, are there any others?

• Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor--most common)
  • Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor--common--far from the airport)
  • Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor--common)
  • DoubleTree
  • Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
  • Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
  • Hilton Garden Inn
  • Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
  • Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Hello! Would anyone be able to weigh in on this?

I'm thinking of booking YUL-IST-VCE. The YUL-IST portion arrives at 1600, and the IST-VCE portion departs at 1650 -- technically an illegal connection since the MCT is 60 mins.

The next flight is 1100 on the next day, will I be eligible for this hotel/tour benefit? There is technically another flight 50 minutes after I arrive, does that disqualify the ticket from the offer?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.