Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:07 am
formerly danblar

^ I can also relate... this is why I stopped doing things for the photos, I found that I absorb more that way instead of just finding different perspectives on how to capture a place, which is why a point and shoot like the RX100m2 serves me fine. I also recommend the RX100m2 to those who do not check baggage and want to stay light, whilst being able to capture amazing photos. The wifi is an added bonus for those travelling alone and want more selfie freedom or those who want to share the photos directly with friends through their phones.

I always have a 1DX & a variety of lens on me (50 1.2, 70-200 2.8, 16-35 2.8 & 24-70 2.8) when I am travelling, but that doesn't come out unless I really need it (in low light or when environmental conditions require it)

To backup, I have a Nexto DI for photos which is then mirrored to some Lacie Rugged SSD's - SD/CF cards are not cleared till I at least have 2 backups.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I had a budget of <$300, so I just picked up a Panasonic LX7. I know some may say it is a bit outdated already, but all the reviews I have read are very favorable. I look forward to trying it out!
I had the LX7 up until very recently. I would not say it's outdated in that it takes excellent pictures. I found the optics (or software) to be a little sharper than the LX5 it replaced and, unless in very dim light situations, provided great contrast in pictures. At that price, I believe it's unmatched.

I recently bought the Sony RX100 II, only because it's a little smaller (physically) and I don't need to remember about the lens cap.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Wait why choose a Point and shoot or a Pro- Point and shoot like a Sony RX-100 when you could have a small camera with interchangeable lenses like a Olympus E-PL5 with a Panasonic 14mm or a Panasonic 20mm Lens and it would small and compact.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by comptr
Wait why choose a Point and shoot or a Pro- Point and shoot like a Sony RX-100 when you could have a small camera with interchangeable lenses like a Olympus E-PL5 with a Panasonic 14mm or a Panasonic 20mm Lens and it would small and compact.
28-100mm (equiv) // 65* to 20* uncropped angle of view
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

I use a RX100 for my travel photos. It is very beneficial to be able to put the camera in my front pocket rather than swing it around my neck. Also less likely to get it stolen when it is in my pocket, my friend and I were in Central America a couple months ago and she had it around her neck only to get it swiped by someone on a dirt bike the first week we were there.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Those "neck straps" should actually be used up and over the head and shoulder to become a cross-body shoulder strap, with the camera on the side, under the arm. To grab-and-run, someone would have to pull your head and shoulder off to get the camera. An added benefit is that it is far less stressful over the shoulder than pulling forward and down on the neck. MHO.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain
I had the LX7 up until very recently. I would not say it's outdated in that it takes excellent pictures. I found the optics (or software) to be a little sharper than the LX5 it replaced and, unless in very dim light situations, provided great contrast in pictures. At that price, I believe it's unmatched.

I recently bought the Sony RX100 II, only because it's a little smaller (physically) and I don't need to remember about the lens cap.
After shooting some with the LX7 over the weekend, I have mixed feelings. I am really looking at a way to stretch my budget now and the RX100 is a strong contender. I am not sure I need the wifi and tilt LCD on the RX100 II, but the smaller body of the RX100 is very appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, the LX7 is an awesome package, but may not be exactly the package I am looking for as a dedicated "small & fast" travel camera. The lens cap is one of the biggest annoyances to me right now, even though I know there is a fixed cap you can snap on, I feel it is something that Panasonic should have designed into the LX7. This one may be going back...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Just one caution. I do find I have less control "at hand" than the LX7. On the LX7, I could adjust just about anything and even have a good number of options even in auto mode. Not so much on the RX100. While the RX100 is smaller and has the convenience of an auto lens cap, there are often times I miss the control the LX7 had.

The grass isn't always greener so just be aware what you're potentially buying.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
D800E if it's serious road trip.

Otherwise my go-to camera these days is my RX100 Mk2
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
we're doing a trip next month...Normandy and Paris...and I'm going to try sticking with my D7000 with 35mm prime and my Canon S100. I usually do the D7000 with zoom. But, I'm going off the zoom wagon and giving the prime the assignment. Wish me luck
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jacknyoc
we're doing a trip next month...Normandy and Paris...and I'm going to try sticking with my D7000 with 35mm prime and my Canon S100. I usually do the D7000 with zoom. But, I'm going off the zoom wagon and giving the prime the assignment. Wish me luck
Nice! Back when I shot only on film, for years the Canon EOS Rebel I bought in high school had only the original 50mm prime that I purchased with it. I shot a lot of trips with just that lens. While zooms are great, and sometime necessary, shooting prime only does make you stretch your creativity. You'll likely find yourself exploring new angles and ways to move closer (or further away).
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:00 am

I take my trusty Canon T2i (550D) usually with one small lens (either a 50 prime or a short wide-angle like the 18-55 kit). I used to carry a small point-and-shoot, but I haven't bothered to get another one after it took a nice bath in the Amazon river...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I use a Canon 6D, mostly carrying two or three lenses with me, but only one at a time while actually taking photos, based on the days conditions.

When that bulk irritates me too much I use my iPhone 5S. I often take the easy way out when I do not really need stellar quality.

frankly, for me the 6D is overkill. I am not really competent to use it...but I love it and I love what I can do with it, especially wildlife.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:16 pm

Love my Olympus E-PL2 (Olympus Digital Pen series w/ micro 4/3 sensor).

Not as bulky as a DSLR, yet the quality is quite good, and the price is right. Interchangeable lenses allow me the flexibility I want.

I do sometimes miss having a viewfinder. There is a $200 option to get a digital one, but I haven't been able to justify the additional cost yet.

Otherwise, I use my iPhone 5 when carrying a camera is prohibitive.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I picked up a Canon EOS M2 in Tokyo (the M2 is a big improvement over the M, but isn't available in the US) on an MR in March to supplement my Canon 5D Mark III. It's a great little camera that has an APS-C sensor, super-small lenses, and an adapter to accept EF/EF-S lenses. I've started carrying it on business trips and leaving my big daddy at home. I still take the full frame on leisure trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.