Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
A common misunderstanding, however, unless something has changed recently, it's not actually the case. They are completely unrelated. Even if it were managed by MO, the plant, ops and staff of the Oriental Residence are nowhere near comparable to those of the MO (although it's definitely very nice relative to similar properties in the city).
From communication I had with the Oriental, they are the same management and some of the staff work both locations. But I haven't gone onsight to do interviews or anything like that. Have you?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I am currently in Bangkok each weekend and bouncing around trying to find good value and a place that's easy to get to/from. I've approached a few hotels, but haven't gotten much in the way of special rates. I'm SPG, Accor, and Marriott gold. But, not stuck to those chains.

Almost primarily weekend nights, I'll be somewhere between 40 and 100 year nights. If anyone has any tips, public or by PM, I'd appreciate the head's up.
Dunno how legit these promo rates are, but your favorite ROS shows $90/night rate here: http://www.spghotescapes.com/en/search/thailand
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:56 am

Best deal I've seen lately was the Anatara Sathorn for $70/nite all in. The Aetas Hotels are pretty decent and around $60 (ai). Go to hotels combined and punch in 5* priced low to high.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
A common misunderstanding, however, unless something has changed recently, it's not actually the case. They are completely unrelated.
Originally Posted by stimpy
From communication I had with the Oriental, they are the same management and some of the staff work both locations. But I haven't gone onsight to do interviews or anything like that. Have you?
aBroadAbroad is right; but it is, indeed, confusing. They are completely separate.

Here's the Oriental Residence.

As you can see from this, however, The Residences at Mandarin Oriental is part of the hotel group which maintains residences all over the world and is growing. The MO Residence in Bangkok isn't open yet. Link.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Love your threads Kalboz. Thanks for the time and effort.
Thank you WJ you are so nice!

I am currently in Bangkok each weekend and bouncing around trying to find good value and a place that's easy to get to/from. I've approached a few hotels, but haven't gotten much in the way of special rates. I'm SPG, Accor, and Marriott gold. But, not stuck to those chains.

Almost primarily weekend nights, I'll be somewhere between 40 and 100 year nights. If anyone has any tips, public or by PM, I'd appreciate the head's up.
So where did you stay?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Majestic Suites is a good option, but too much in the middle of Nana's madness IMO. Try another one of their hotels, Citi Chic on 13. It's way better and close to fun on Soi 11. Boss Suites, Ibis Nana, Darjeeling, Paradiso, and City Lodge should run you 1000 or less and are decent, clean 3* options as well.
Thanks for the recommendations, I have booked 5 nights at the Boss Suites for my arrival. I notice you call it 3 star, and Expedia et al. seem to list it as 4 star, so I assume that generally deduct 1 star from the ratings to get a realistic impression.

Looking to book a few nights before I head off to SIN, is FuramaXclusive Asoke a good choice? It has good reviews on Expedia and price is reasonable.

Last edited by SpannerSpinner; Sep 7, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:37 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
So far a Park Plaza, the ROS and an Ibis. I've got a dozen more bookings, mostly at Accor (Ibis, Sofitels) and SPG (LeM, Westin, 4Pts, Aloft, etc).

I was offered a rate at the Aloft, flexible but not what I was hoping for. Calls out to another dozen hotels have been mostly unresponded to.

Idealy, I'd love a rate at the ROS, or another hotel on the river. I'm gold on Accor, SPG, Hilton, and Marriott. But, could get plat on both Accor and SPG with a little work.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:43 pm

So far a Park Plaza, the ROS and an Ibis. I've got a dozen more bookings, mostly at Accor (Ibis, Sofitels) and SPG (LeM, Westin, 4Pts, Aloft, etc).

I was offered a rate at the Aloft, flexible but not what I was hoping for. Calls out to another dozen hotels have been mostly unresponded to.

Idealy, I'd love a rate at the ROS, or another hotel on the river. I'm gold on Accor, SPG, Hilton, and Marriott. But, could get plat on both Accor and SPG with a little work.
Gold with Marriott & Hilton gets you access to the lounge and breakfast
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: aa
I am looking to book the Anatara Riverside. The best i can find is around $140 night. Does anyone have a better rate than that? I would also be open to other ideas of hotels around the same type. We have been staying here since back when it was the Marriott, our son loves it and always asks to go back, but we might be ready for a change!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Guess where Sir Richard Branson is staying?

HINT: not the SGS!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

I had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Sukhumvit Soi 11 this weekend. At 1899 all in (16xx++), it was right across from the Aloft, with a little smaller room, but otherwise a nicer product.
The breakfast was mediocre, but good nonetheless.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:48 pm
15a

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The Hansar thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-bangkok.html

My photo album of the property is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57625617952376

Located on a side soi next to the St. Regis - BTS station is Ratchdamri

Oriental Residence thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-bangkok.html

Located on Wireless Rd. across the street from the Conrad - BTS station is Phloen Chit

Depends on what you like to do and how much time you want to spend getting to and from Bangkok's major attractions. stimpy has a very good point about the reputation of the Oriental and they have some good food venues. Location is also decent if you want to go to lower Sukhumvit. But for major tourist attractions along the river, the Hansar has the better location.
Thanks to Kalboz for his advice. We booked the Hansar and just got back from 5 nights there.. It was fantastic- we got a good rate and the property is both excellent and well located while being very quiet as well. The Thai cafe (Elfin cafe I think it's called) in particular is under-rated
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Ok, so I have been researching a few things here and there, and am quite unsure as to what to do for my upcoming trip:
My wife and I are heading to Thailand on a QR promo, arriving o a Friday eve and departing on a Friday morning 2 weeks later.
We're planning to stay 2 days in Bangkok, then head out to either Koh Phayam, or to Cambodia, spend a week there, fly to Singapore for a couple of days, fly back to BKK the day before and get a downtown hotel.

We're planning to visit the Khaosan road, Chatuchak market, and then a few other things around Shukhumvit. As the market is only open on weekends, the plan is to do it at the beginning of our trip, then leave our purchases at the hotel in a duffle bag, and pick it up at the last night of our stay.

I currently have SPG Gold (15k points), CC Gold (110k points), HH Diamond (75k points) and Accor Platinum.
Cuttrently looking at doing either 2-nights redemptions and third night cash, in one of the following hotels:
->Conrad BKK (3 nights on C&P)
->Meridien Bangkok (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Radisson Blu Shukhumvit (3 nights on TA rate)
->Royal Orchid Sheraton (2 nights on points, one night cash)
->Millenium Hilton (2 nights points, one cash)
->Accor properties (if a good cash rate can be found, either Grand Shukhumvit or Hotel G, other options welcome)

Other CC or SPG hotels discounted due to price and/or location

Based on the different threads, the ROS and Millennium appear to be dated but still enjoyable, is it still so?

Any recommendations based on the choices above, or any other good hotels for a decent price range(less than 2500 THB++) with status benefits?

Thanks for your help on this one!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:44 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Sounds like a great trip, but I find some of your plans/options curious.

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Ok, so I have been researching a few things here and there, and am quite unsure as to what to do for my upcoming trip:
My wife and I are heading to Thailand on a QR promo, arriving o a Friday eve and departing on a Friday morning 2 weeks later.
We're planning to stay 2 days in Bangkok, then head out to either Koh Phayam, or to Cambodia, spend a week there, fly to Singapore for a couple of days, fly back to BKK the day before and get a downtown hotel.

We're planning to visit the Khaosan road,
What are you planning to do there? Are you backpackers?

then leave our purchases at the hotel in a duffle bag, and pick it up at the last night of our stay.
Good idea!

You seem to plan to do a bit of running around town while in BKK and I'm not convinced that your hotel selections take into account getting back and forth between the hotel and stuff you want to do.

->Conrad BKK (3 nights on C&P)
Not bad location but not right on the skytrain either.

->Meridien Bangkok (2 nights on points, one night cash)
Assuming you mean the Le Meridien on Surawong. I think better than the Conrad for skytrain access and you have a night market right across the street.

->Royal Orchid Sheraton (2 nights on points, one night cash)
A bit of a pain to get in and out... but great view if this is your first time in BKK.

->Millenium Hilton (2 nights points, one cash)
Same as ROS on that score.

Other CC or SPG hotels discounted due to price and/or location
Any recommendations based on the choices above, or any other good hotels for a decent price range(less than 2500 THB++) with status benefits?
Have you considered the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or Westin Grande Sukhumvit on Cash & Points? They would enable you to use your Starpoints, have immediate access to both the skytrain (BTS) and subway (MRT) and all the little shops in Terminal 21. The BTS goes directly to Chatuchak (Mo Chit station)

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 16, 2016 at 4:29 am Reason: Fixed markup
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:55 am
Original Poster

As a Hhonors gold member, stick with the Conrad or the Hilton on the river, in that order, respectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.