Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oriental Residence Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Oriental Residence Bangkok

Planning my january holiday in Bangkok and stumbled across this rather new place in Bangkok called Oriental Residence Bangkok. From the website images and the little info i can find online I believe that it has the standard to be discussed in this forum. If this is not the case feel free to close the thread.

http://www.oriental-residence.com/

Any of you have visited the property?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mogensen
Planning my january holiday in Bangkok and stumbled across this rather new place in Bangkok called Oriental Residence Bangkok. From the website images and the little info i can find online I believe that it has the standard to be discussed in this forum. If this is not the case feel free to close the thread.

http://www.oriental-residence.com/

Any of you have visited the property?
I haven't stayed, but it's already been included in the Kiwi Collection which is a good sign. Unless you get a cheap rate, I suggest you stick to one of the many great choices in Bangkok you can find on this forum. My personal favorite is The Sukhothai which are slighty cheaper than Mandarin Oriental which is another top choice. The best value would probably be Banyan Tree which from time to time has rates starting at USD100 pr. night. All my three recommendations are quite big hotels, but simply because I haven't stay the small hotels in Bangkok which could be considered. Hansar (SLH) and Eugenia (Relais&Chateaux) The last one, especially, all depends on your personal style and preference. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked rates for a date in November at the Peninsula BKK and the entry level room price started at $190++. Why take chances when you can get a hotel of that quality for that price?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - While I have visited although never stayed at the Sukhothai and Peninsula I am still tempted to give the oriental residence a try. Will go trough the recommendations in this forum before i make up my mind.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:05 am

The Conrad is very nice and located in the same area of the new Oriental Residences (Wireless Road). Great rooms and F&B outlets at Conrad and in the middle of the All Seasons Place shopping/office complex. Lots of great restos on the adjacent soi Ruam Rudi as well (e.g., Lyons).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I just checked rates for a date in November at the Peninsula BKK and the entry level room price started at $190++. Why take chances when you can get a hotel of that quality for that price?
Many people won't stay on the "wrong" side of the river no matter how tempting the price (probably why the rates are so low [for developed markets...not for Thailand).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:51 am
mlb

I'm staying here next month in a 1-bedroom unit. I prefer the newest places in Bangkok as they tend to be in the best shape. I also know that the Oriental Residence is partially owned by the original owners of the Oriental (now MO) Bangkok and was built by Italo-Thai construction (same builders). Note that their symbol is the top of the facade from the original building of the Oriental Bangkok.

I've heard they have been able to recruit many employees from the MO and Sukhothai.

Another hotel I am interested in seeing is the new Okura Prestige:

http://www.okurabangkok.com/intro_okura/

This is just up the street from the Oriental Residences.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlb
Oriental Residence is partially owned by the original owners of the Oriental (now MO) Bangkok and was built by Italo-Thai construction (same builders).

I've heard they have been able to recruit many employees from the MO and Sukhothai.
bottom line karnasuta/charanachitta (related) control oriental residence and mandarin oriental BKK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandari...ngkok#Italthai
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/85/...itta_HDLP.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/85/...itta_HDLP.html
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/85/...suta_TTTS.html

so the connection makes it relevant - but the question is whether they are committed to luxury management, and in this case its serviced apartments and (sold) residences. mgmt co > http://www.onyx-hospitality.com/key-people.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 14, 2012 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:26 pm
mlb

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so the connection makes it relevant - but the question is whether they are committed to luxury management, and in this case its serviced apartments and residences. mgmt co > http://www.onyx-hospitality.com/key-people.html
I'll let you know in a month! In past trips I've stayed at MO and also the Pen, so I'll see how they compare.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Great i'll hold back until i get your report.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Okura looks Nice but i am still more interested In Oriental Residence.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi MLB

Are you back from your trip - and what was your experience at Oriental Residence Bangkok. The recent reviews on Tripadvisor sound quite promising.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:13 pm
mlb

Hello,

I am currently staying here now. This is, in my opinion, "The Oriental" of serviced residences that is for sure. It is the nicest one I have stayed in the last ten years. However, it does not have the high staff to guest ratios found at full-service 5-star hotels. This is likely partly due to the fact that they are still starting up and are not high occupancy yet, and also because serviced apartments typically do not have the same service standards as hotels since many guests are longer term and want to feel more like home.

However, the service here has been excellent. The front desk staff is very efficient and friendly. They know you by name and always acknowledge you. I have also used the concierge services on several occasions and they have been knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating when renting a car and in restaurant advice. So far, housekeeping has also been very good replenishing supplies and overall cleaning - including the dishes.

The hard product also sets this serviced residence apart from others. Here is a list of what is currently being used:

WMF - cutlery
Electrolux appliances (refrigerator/freezer, washer/dryer, glass stovetop, microwave, hood)
Samsung LED TVs
Bodum hotpot and french press
Royal Porcelain china
Toto bath fixtures and toilet (no washlet however)
Chanintr interior furniture which is quite good quality for a serviced residence
Penhaligon's bath items (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bar soap, moisturizer)
Lavazza coffee for french press and TWG teas

The interiors are also nicely finished with several paint colors, wall paper and marble floors in the kitchen and enormous bathroom. The kitchen also features solid-surface countertops and glass backsplash. The bathroom is a light earth-tone marble with separate shower, large soaking tub, makeup counter, and separate sink.

The bed is extremely comfortable with high thread count sheets, plush comforter and mattress pad. They also offer 12 different pillows from their pillow menu.

For rooms, I would recommend a corner 1-bedroom as it is very bright with floor-to-ceiling windows down 2 walls. In my opinion, the best views are park view directly looking over the US and Dutch Embassies with the cityscape in the background. The standard 1-bedrooms are also very close in layout to the corner 1-bedrooms and are also nice. I did not like the layout of the 1-bedrooms with balcony. Although the balcony is large, the kitchen is smaller with no washer/dryer or island like in the corner and standard 1-bedrooms. I have not yet seen the studio or 2-bedroom units so cannot comment.

The location is good with a shuttle (Toyota Alphard) taking you to the BTS (Chidlom) or any of the great restaurants/shops along Lang Suan anytime between 7am and 8pm. They also have two Jaguar XJL's which can be utilized for 1800bht per hour. To return from BTS, simply get off at Chidlom and flag a cab to the hotel. This has cost 41bht consistently and takes about 5 minutes. If you'd like to walk, get off at Ploenchit and walk about 5-10 minutes down Wireless Rd.

There are distinct similarities in decor and service to the "other Oriental Hotel" in Bangkok. The colonial style of the OR reminds one of the Author's lounge - especially the lobby here. In addition, at turndown, they leave quotes from famous authors on your pillows each night with a small flower. Each room also has a small orchid growing in the bathroom as well as small flower arrangements elsewhere.

Given the current excellent rates as well as the additional space and amenities (washer/dryer, etc...) this is an ideal place to call "home" for moderate to long stay. I would also not hesitate to short stay here as well.

Gotta run..if you have questions please post.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking time to describe it in detail. It sounds great. How are the pool/gym facilities?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:09 pm
mlb

Originally Posted by Mogensen
Thank you for taking time to describe it in detail. It sounds great. How are the pool/gym facilities?
The gym is nice - small, but with all new excellent equipment (treadmills, nautilus, etc...) and is located near the pool (and not crowded). The pool is large with plenty of lounges nearby and is located partially under roof and partially open. The lounges are similar with some in the sun and some shaded. I have heard the water is cold since the pool is partially shaded, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I just posted a trip advisor review using what I stated here and uploaded 5 photos. I don't think it is available yet, but should be posted soon. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.