Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sink
First stay here this past weekend. Booked three rooms through Amex FHR. Got an upgrade for one room to a Legacy suite on the 10th floor, while the two other rooms remained at superior. While spacious, the Legacy suite is more like an oversized room than a suite. The blinds did not filter out the sunlight in the morning. My son complained, and asked me to shut off the lights. Couldn't find street parking around 7PM on the saturday night, so had to pay the $39.00 valet parking. The service was very nice and prompt. The front desk representative was very pleasant and explained the various Amex FHR benefits. Still can't believe why I have not taken advantage of it sooner. Maybe it was too good to be true, so never thought it was possible. But yes, it is a very good deal. Had dinner at the Grant Grill. Our waitress was very friendly, but did not see her that often. We ordered the 38 days prime ribeye; which was the toughest I have ever chewed. Service was spotty at times. The soup came, no spoon. Ordered the mushroom side with entree, did not come until the entree was finished. Water glass was not refilled. However, I still would come back. But, would not order the steak or the seabass though. Live Jazz music started at 8PM. Very nice. Had breakfast at Grant Grill as well. Did the ala carte instead of the "waffle buffet".
The bread at US Grant Grill is fantastic. Highly recommend the Chorizo and Smoked Chicken Hash next time you're there for breakfast.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just completed an one night stay last Thursday to attend the Jewel/SPG Moments concert on-site.

Valet: $39. Very friendly staff. When I needed to retrieve something from the already parked car, they took me down to the garage to the car. Also, looks like they have a bunch of bottled water to hand out to guests.

Check-in: Friendly front desk clerk. Booked on FHR rate, and they explained the benefits. Noted my Starwood number is on file (more on this later).

Lobby: Very grand and luxurious. Lots of little nooks and surprising details. There is an on-site art gallery.

Room: Used a SNA to upgrade to Landmark Suite. Was allocated to one of the smaller suites, with a tiny living room and shower-only, pedestal sink bathroom. It felt like a standard room with an extra waiting room with a miniature sofa. The room didn't have the complimentary water, called to have it delivered, and they brought 4 bottles. Internet is $14.95/day for normal speed, and $19.95/day for fast speed. Internet is free in the lobby for 3 hours at a time.

Grant Grill Bar: Used the $100 F&B credit at happy hour, where all snacks are half off. Great charcuterie platter and reasonable by-the-glass list. The chef is also obsessed with tarragon at the moment, as it was in almost every dish we ordered, as well as the food items provided during the concert reception.

*REMINDER* The hotel restaurant participates in SPG Restaurant & Bar program, where you get 10% off for lunch/dinner, and 3x points for M-Th dining when you charge over $50.

Breakfast: $85 credit was promised. The server explained that they just started a new breakfast menu 2 weeks ago. Coffee and juice were $4 each, and breakfast items ranged from $12-21. There was free to-go coffee provided in the restaurant lobby.

Check-out: I asked about the platinum amenity, since they didn't offer it at check-in. The FD clerk said that the system did not reflect my platinum status. When she re-entered the SPG number, the status was updated. Had to manually waive the internet charge. Very bizarre.

Following check-out, the hotel posted a separate charge for breakfast. Had to call the front desk manager to get it refunded, and the credit posted 4 days later.

Overall: The FHR rate and benefits make the US Grant an excellent value. Great service by everyone on staff.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The FHR rate should get you continental breakfast for two each morning in the restaurant. An $85 credit seems much more generous than what is required by AmEx.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am thinking of booking 4 nights at the end of August/beginning of September. Virtuoso and Amex FHR offer virtually the same rate. Which one would you go for?

I am SPG Gold by the way.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK FHR guarantees 4 pm checkout but other programs do not unless you're SPG Plat/Gold. Beyond that, compare the special amenities. U S Grant is probably a $100 F&B credit, but check.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK FHR guarantees 4 pm checkout but other programs do not unless you're SPG Plat/Gold. Beyond that, compare the special amenities. U S Grant is probably a $100 F&B credit, but check.
Special amenities are the same. I was just wondering which one would give me the best chance of an upgrade, or the best upgrade. :-)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by ringingup
Special amenities are the same. I was just wondering which one would give me the best chance of an upgrade, or the best upgrade. :-)
Unless you're SPG Plat, the published FHR upgrade benefit is normally (unless some other upgrade is the special amenity for the property) a one category upgrade if available at check in. Other programs are similar, although a Virtuoso agent might be able to contact the property in advance to obtain a confirmed upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Just spent a night at the US grant last week..

Plt benefit: upgraded to deluxe room - i sure can't tell the difference
continental breakfast voucher - worth 14(?) per person? i actually slept over...
4pm checkout w/o a problem.

Pro: friendly staff
great location
room was nice
bed was very comfortable (to me at least)

Con: $45 valet parking ..
no bath tube
absolutely "surrounding sound" - you can hear anything from anywhere very clearly
ordered in room dining, very limited menu.. took about ~ 1hr for the food to come and my pasta was half cold... charges 22% gratitude + $4.95 deliver fee
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unless you're SPG Plat, the published FHR upgrade benefit is normally (unless some other upgrade is the special amenity for the property) a one category upgrade if available at check in. Other programs are similar, although a Virtuoso agent might be able to contact the property in advance to obtain a confirmed upgrade.
This.

A Virtuoso agent is a live person who - knowing your preferences - will contact the hotel (their rep, really) and negotiate a confirmed upgrade for you. If they can't confirm it, they can at least have you VIP'd and hope for the best.

Your FHR agent doesn't know you from a hole in the wall and won't do anything extra to get you an upgrade.

(I'm biased, as I'm a V advisor, but I also know the above as truth...)
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AP, A3 Gold, SPG Plat
Just spent Friday night at the US grant last weekend.

FHR booking: upgraded from standard king to Legacy Suite on 10th floor
Breakfast credit of 75$ in The Grant Grill
100$ F&B in The Grant Grill or room service.

Pro: - excellent service and friendly staff from the moment I arrived, the type you would expect from luxury hotel
- great location, near Gaslamp district where all the bars and restaurants are located downtown, very busy area around midnight, no noise from area once in your room.
- room was nice, turndown service with chocolate
- bed was very comfortable
- knowledgeable and friendly concierge
- large foyer, old style

Con: - $42 valet parking
- no bathtub if you like that
- charges 22% gratitude + $4.95 deliver fee on room service

Overall excellent stay for 1 night, would return to hotel to enjoy the perks, comfortable room and local area

Last edited by Bobbyj1048; Jun 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Pet friendly--big plus!

Will be staying 3 nights in late Sept for nat'l conference held in SD. Got permission to bring our 110 lb Ridgeback, despite the normal 50 lb weight limit for a dog. Our dog is a great traveler, and has been with us to many California hotels within driving range of our home.

Hotel has been very responsive in advance of stay and handling the dog details. Looking very forward to our stay, our first at this property.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
We just got back from a trip to San Diego, saw dogs everywhere (we were at the marina area). Good dog walking along the marina (in front of the convention center, Marriott and Grand Hyatt hotels. Two small parks along there with waking paths (Embarcadero Marina parks north and south). Stayed at the Hyatt but stopped in at the U.S. Grant for a quick look. Very nice. The big park across the street from the Grant (Horton Plaza) is completely torn up, the entire block is closed off while they do renovations. Don't know if it will be finished by September, didn't look like it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Will be staying 3 nights in late Sept for nat'l conference held in SD. Got permission to bring our 110 lb Ridgeback, despite the normal 50 lb weight limit for a dog. Our dog is a great traveler, and has been with us to many California hotels within driving range of our home.

Hotel has been very responsive in advance of stay and handling the dog details. Looking very forward to our stay, our first at this property.
You will be very happy with this property. I stayed here with my dog last October and they were amazing with him. There is also lots of access to trees and areas with good walking near the property.

If you have time, make sure you check out the Cabrillo Tide Pools trail, my pup loved it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:03 am

If you're going to San Diego by car, do the walk that runs along the sea between La Jolla village and the area near the USCD campus. IRRC it starts near a large hotel that used to be called the Summerhill.

BTW Horton Plaza was under construction when I stayed at the US Grant about five years ago. At that time, the area seemed to attract some homeless people, so I hope the neighborhood has been cleaned up since then.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Just completed an one night stay last Thursday to attend the Jewel/SPG Moments concert on-site.

Valet: $39. Very friendly staff. When I needed to retrieve something from the already parked car, they took me down to the garage to the car. Also, looks like they have a bunch of bottled water to hand out to guests.

Check-in: Friendly front desk clerk. Booked on FHR rate, and they explained the benefits. Noted my Starwood number is on file (more on this later).

Lobby: Very grand and luxurious. Lots of little nooks and surprising details. There is an on-site art gallery.

Room: Used a SNA to upgrade to Landmark Suite. Was allocated to one of the smaller suites, with a tiny living room and shower-only, pedestal sink bathroom. It felt like a standard room with an extra waiting room with a miniature sofa. The room didn't have the complimentary water, called to have it delivered, and they brought 4 bottles. Internet is $14.95/day for normal speed, and $19.95/day for fast speed. Internet is free in the lobby for 3 hours at a time.

Grant Grill Bar: Used the $100 F&B credit at happy hour, where all snacks are half off. Great charcuterie platter and reasonable by-the-glass list. The chef is also obsessed with tarragon at the moment, as it was in almost every dish we ordered, as well as the food items provided during the concert reception.

*REMINDER* The hotel restaurant participates in SPG Restaurant & Bar program, where you get 10% off for lunch/dinner, and 3x points for M-Th dining when you charge over $50.

Breakfast: $85 credit was promised. The server explained that they just started a new breakfast menu 2 weeks ago. Coffee and juice were $4 each, and breakfast items ranged from $12-21. There was free to-go coffee provided in the restaurant lobby.

Check-out: I asked about the platinum amenity, since they didn't offer it at check-in. The FD clerk said that the system did not reflect my platinum status. When she re-entered the SPG number, the status was updated. Had to manually waive the internet charge. Very bizarre.

Following check-out, the hotel posted a separate charge for breakfast. Had to call the front desk manager to get it refunded, and the credit posted 4 days later.

Overall: The FHR rate and benefits make the US Grant an excellent value. Great service by everyone on staff.
Thanks for posting! Gonna call FHR today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.